ID 3 or Born?

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Looking to get my first electric car. Wife already has an MG ZS EV (very nice by the way).

Tempted by the Born but it's basically just an ID 3 which I can get now. The 58kWh Born has an 'e-boost' function that temporarily increases power to 228bhp but torque stays the same. The ID 3 201bhp is surprisingly rapid.

Should I wait for the Born or just get an ID 3? I'm in no rush.

Reactions: jcbmally

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
To be honest, given how poorly VAG are managing their infotainment software at the moment, I’d be looking elsewhere were I looking now.

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Sorry I couldn’t resist! What’s the price difference going to be between the two cars? If they’re roughly the same, I’d personally wait. The id3 looks awful, the born looks ok for an electric car. Or go for something like the e golf?

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Looking to get my first electric car. Wife already has an MG ZS EV (very nice by the way).

Tempted by the Born but it's basically just an ID 3 which I can get now. The 58kWh Born has an 'e-boost' function that temporarily increases power to 228bhp but torque stays the same. The ID 3 201bhp is surprisingly rapid.

Should I wait for the Born or just get an ID 3? I'm in no rush.
In the past you’ve always got more bang for your buck with Seat/Cupra, but then I am like many other on here to the fact that I will never buy a launch car again. IMO I’d wait and let the model get established.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
To be honest, given how poorly VAG are managing their infotainment software at the moment, I’d be looking elsewhere were I looking now.

Mate, MG are no better. My wife has scrapped the MG software and uses the Wallbox app for her Pulsar Plus. Carefully chosen based in this review https://topcharger.co.uk/wallbox-pulsar-plus-review/ and it's an excellent unit. Trouble is you can't get the OZEV grant twice so I'll need to borrow hers!

Darren

Nov 20, 2001
Leigh on Sea
Visit site
Not been on here for ages but looking to get a Born, test driven the ID3 and really liked it for what it is. Apart from some seriously cheap plastics it was much better than I thought it would be. Looking at the pictures of the Born it does look much better internally.
got a lease lined up for the ID3 but will swap it over to Cupra Born if it’s the same price.. hoping it might be cheaper!

Tell

Staff member
In the past you’ve always got more bang for your buck with Seat/Cupra, but then I am like many other on here to the fact that I will never buy a launch car again. IMO I’d wait and let the model get established.
Well the Ateca was a good launch car using the trusted Vag platform and electronics. Arona was also. I didnt have any issues with the Altea.

The problem with all of the VAG cars at the minute is the MQB Evo plus the new mib3 getting put on the rest. MQB Evo gets a double dose, the rest get mib3 issues.

Platforms:

In my previous bits of research I came up with this:

Covers ID3... tail of woe, Golf 8 etc and so forth. Feels about right to me.

One suspects that if they don't get on top of the Id3 issues then the Born will get them as well, so a bit of careful research is required on the Id3 for anybody seriously considering.

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Yup I would agree but my mate has chopped in his Formentor for a facelift Ateca and he’s still getting issues with infotainment, but again agree with you that the VW group “one fits all” mantra is a bit meh.

Tell

Staff member
Yup I would agree but my mate has chopped in his Formentor for a facelift Ateca and he’s still getting issues with infotainment, but again agree with you that the VW group “one fits all” mantra is a bit meh.
Yep they will get the mib3 issues but not the rest associated with the MQB Evo platform. Mib3 issues are clearly round the design of the new Linux Auto software moving from QNX and likely under powered hardware for it. I'm sure they will iron this one out in good time....