Infotainment Resetting, Virtual Cockpit Resetting, Numerous Errors - Any Help?

Oct 17, 2021
Hi All,

I got in the car to drive home from work this evening and everything seems fined until about 30 seconds into the trip.

Firstly the infotainment screen reset then the virtual **** settings reset to teh default screen. It continued to do this through my travels home.

I pulled over when I got off the motorway only to be greeted by "Maneuver Braking not avaliable" and a orange/yellow distance braking warning.

After getting home I also get a SOS unavaliable error.

I have tried leaving the car off for a while and going back to it, I have had a couple of Android Auto errors so I tried it without my phone on me in case it was causing a boot loop, I've tried holding down the power button to reset but it continues to happen

Has anyone seen this? Any help? The garages are closed until Monday so I'm a bit stuck!

What happens seems to be bit different each time but I've uploaded a quick video showing an example:

Chrispy

Oct 6, 2018
Mine did this as well. Long story short it's been at the dealer for 2 weeks waiting on a new screen. No idea of when the part will be available.

I'd try and get it in to a dealer ASAP to get a good spot in the queue!

Reactions: MagicKoala

Stebb

Dec 28, 2010
Machynlleth
Exactly as per my car - presently at the dealers with an earliest ETA for the "5F Control Unit" being the end of July.
Note, this is the second 5F unit my car has 'consumed', the last was fitted in March.

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
Exactly as per my car - presently at the dealers with an earliest ETA for the "5F Control Unit" being the end of July.
Note, this is the second 5F unit my car has 'consumed', the last was fitted in March.
I have posted elsewhere on the forum as wifes new Ibiza has had radio go off and Infotainment screen do a continual rest. Thought it was a software glitch. What has made dealer go for replacing the unit twice.

Chrispy

Oct 6, 2018
My car just starting doing the exact same thing again. Had it back just over 2 weeks I think. Not looking good!

Going into the dealer on Wednesday so we'll see what happens...

Stuck between a rock and a hard place really as I have the car at a very good price (it's a lease) so if I rejected it I would be worse off with anything else available at the moment!

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
My car just starting doing the exact same thing again. Had it back just over 2 weeks I think. Not looking good!

Going into the dealer on Wednesday so we'll see what happens...

Stuck between a rock and a hard place really as I have the car at a very good price (it's a lease) so if I rejected it I would be worse off with anything else available at the moment!
Sorry to hear that. Are dealers just trying random swaps and upgrades without having a sound diagnostic reason for doing so.
Is the fault the infotainment or SOS error? You are right about choice as delivery is an issue and what car is good as a replacement since all new cars in VW group will likely have same fault. I am just living with SOS error on Ateca till next service in 2023 in hope there might be a proper software fix.
Wifes Ibiza has been ok for two weeks but not sure it will not happen again

Chrispy

Oct 6, 2018
There is an "SOS not available" type fault but the main issue is that the screen just reboots every 30s then gives up completely after about 5 tries.

So basically you have no radio, nav, phone, parking sensors, AC control, ability to switch drive modes etc. etc.

Not really liveable!

AndyP

Sep 5, 2017
Manchester
I had the same thing, if you connect your phone by Bluetooth this causes the system to malfunction. Turn off your car’s Bluetooth and do a reset using the power button. It will still fault but only now and again. Connect your phone via the usb but only after the car is started. It worked for me.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I had the same thing, if you connect your phone by Bluetooth this causes the system to malfunction. Turn off your car’s Bluetooth and do a reset using the power button. It will still fault but only now and again. Connect your phone via the usb but only after the car is started. It worked for me.
I have had my car 7 months now and had no such problems with connecting by bluetooth, and no infotainment errors at all.

ady_falco

Apr 25, 2018
Swansea, West Glamorgan
Just to bring this thread back from the beyond, My VZ2 Delivery date of October '22 has been in to the dealers with the exact same issue., My dealer is saying that its the 5F Body Control Module that decided it didn't want to body control anymore. Its been in with them for 1 month but the dealership are not getting any info from the factory when the new unit will be manufactured and sent out.

The dealership have given me a Formentor 245 until the BCM is sent out. Went to pick some stuff up out of the Leon that had been left in there, half the dashboard is currently out whilst waiting on the new unit.

Perhaps this may be of some assistance to others who are having the same issue.

Chrispy

Oct 6, 2018
Mine is also still in the dealer. 2 months so far this time.

So to summarise:
Waited 6 months for part.
Car worked for 2 weeks then had exact same issue.
Waiting 2 months and counting for new part again.

I'm not convinced a new control unit is the cure. I don't think they actually know how to fix it.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Mine is also still in the dealer. 2 months so far this time.

So to summarise:
Waited 6 months for part.
Car worked for 2 weeks then had exact same issue.
Waiting 2 months and counting for new part again.

I'm not convinced a new control unit is the cure. I don't think they actually know how to fix it.
Fair shout to you Chrispy; you've got more patience than me. I'd had been tempted to trailer it to Milton Keynes and dump it somewhere prominent outside VW HQ with a big notice in the windscreen.

Stebb

Dec 28, 2010
Machynlleth
Just FYI. My car VZ2 '21 plate, had two of these units in 2022. It was then back with the dealer by June 2022 and after waiting six weeks with no sign of progress on a third I rejected the car - Cupra were very good in resolving although the process took a couple of months.
In the meantime, I'd placed a SORN on the car. It was November 2022 before I got a ping on the app to say I'd been removed from the car, I assumed that meant the part had been fitted, but I have no proof of that. January 2023 the car still shows with the SORN in place, meaning it remains off the road - if it is now fully functional I can't see it hanging around as otherwise a really good car to drive.
I have to agree with posts above, the 5F may be the failing part but something else in the car is bringing it down, either that or its so seriously close to its service parameters when in use it takes nothing to push it over the edge.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
What a shambles
Agree. VAG seemed to have dropped the ball big time with the current crop of MQB based vehicles that share the same or similar software and hardware.

I‘ve read of many of the same issues on this forum and other forums with Cupra Leon’s and Formentors, Seat Leons, Golfs, Tiguans, ID.3’s, and Octavias - other current generation models across the VAG brands that use the same software and hardware are probably similarly affected too. The worrying thing for me is that VAG don’t seem to know how to fix some of these computer-related gremlins - many cars have had new steering wheels fitted to fix certain issues, only for the issues to return, and some owners cars parked up at dealers waiting for VAG’s tech experts to solve issues they seem incapable of solving.

The ‘big fix’ last year was lauded as the answer to the majority of the known software issues and be the answer to everyone’s problems. However, VAG have issued many subsequent updates since then (were these to fix the big fix? 🤔). Because of the ongoing semiconductor shortages, manufacturers will have ramped up production to try and satisfy demand - maybe semiconductor quality has suffered as a result?

I dare say all car manufacturers will have software issues from time to time. However, VAG has had more than it’s fair share, and it just seems to be an ongoing, never ending saga that’s been going on now for over two years.

If I had one of the car models listed above on order, in all probability I’d cancel it. I wouldn’t buy a used example either - the potential prospect of VAG washing their hands of these issues once a car is out of warranty isn’t something I’d want to experience.

Chrispy

Oct 6, 2018
Fair shout to you Chrispy; you've got more patience than me. I'd had been tempted to trailer it to Milton Keynes and dump it somewhere prominent outside VW HQ with a big notice in the windscreen.

The dealer is probably about a mile from HQ so this would be relatively easy!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.