Inspection or servicing

Nov 16, 2019
Surrey, UK
I have had my Ibiza Xcellence DSG for almost one year and now receiving a message on the dash informing me that Inspection is due in X days.

What is the difference between an inspection and a service?

What is involved in an inspection?

How much should an inspection cost?

According to the manual I can cancel the dash message on the basis that I have had the inspection performed at a non Seat agent.

So far I am very happy with the car having changed from a Mondeo Ghia TDCI 6 speed manual.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
In the instruction manual it says that service its oil change and inspection no oil change.

Hum, maybe slightly truer to say that Inspection is additional work that get carried out every maybe 2 years if you are on a fixed miles/time service strategy, so "service" = only oil change "inspection" = oil change + other work - which will vary with accumulated miles/time to include air filter etc.

Nov 16, 2019
Surrey, UK
Thank you José. I had read that in the owner’s manual and wondered what else can be done apart from checking oil, coolant and brake fluid levels and tyre pressures, which I do anyway.

RUM4MO, the owner’s manual appears to indicate that “service” includes an oil change, but “inspection” does not. Unless there is something required in an inspection that I cannot do myself, I will choose to reset the inspection warning and wait for a service at year 2. Especially since my mileage is very low, only 1400 miles.

Will resetting the inspection warning cause problems for me warrantee?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Why,oh why reset the inspection warning without getting any thing done at a dealership if the car is still within its 3 year period.

Regardless of what is written in your version of the owner's manual, that car will need more than just a "look - see" if the inspection warning is set - and an oil change will be one of things if you are running what is normal annual mileages.

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
Will resetting the inspection warning cause problems for me warrantee?

If you don't get the Ibiza serviced every year irrespective of mileage you will lose your warranty with Seat. How old is the car? Seat have a minor service every 12 months / major 24 months.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If you don't get the Ibiza serviced every year irrespective of mileage you will lose your warranty with Seat. How old is the car? Seat have a minor service every 12 months / major 24 months.

Hum, I obviously completely agree with you, but maybe the way the owner's manual gets written at times is to blame for some of this.

Audi used to think that it was okay to expect me to hand my S4 in for a service in February then book it back in in June for an inspection, complete idiots, that was never going to work for anyone!

José Silva

Nov 24, 2018
Portugal
I think the inspection its when the car sensor indicates that oil lost some quality. I have a friend that the car indicates inspection with 9000km and mine has 12000km and I had no indication. The inspection its to Seat see if is necessary to change the oil and any thing more.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I really don't think that you are correct there, if the car is set on flexible servicing instead of fixed miles/months servicing, the service warning system will be logging the way the car is being used and will give out a service warning when it has computed that the oil quality has dropped. There is nothing in these cars that actually measures oil quality, the car just computes what it thinks the oil quality is from the type of use the car is getting.

Oil service is really only oil and filter changes, inspection is that plus extra tasks!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise