Instrument cluster lights

philmccavity

Hi everyone,

I have a 2003 Ibiza 1.9 TDI 130 sport, and the light behind the fuel gauge has started flickering. It looks lighty from other posts that I may have a dry solder joint that needs reflowing, not a major problem.
But heres the question, other people have said about problems with the immobiliser after refitting the cluster or that the keys need rematching.
Are these problems only after a new or replacement cluster has been fitted, should I be ok if its the original one going back in?

Thanks for any help

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Yes, sounds like the common PD130 Sport, 6 dial dash issue. Reflowing the solder on the back of the connector should rid the problem and prevent other dry joint related issues in the future.

You shouldn't need to rematch keys unless replacing the cluster. Disconnect the battery (remembering radio code) and Just make sure when refitting that both connectors are seated correctly before turning the ignition on again. I've done a few now and not needed to do anything after refitting.

philmccavity

does anyone know which plug is used for the lighting, black or green? Or is it worth reflowing all of them?

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
The black plug should be power to the clocks and power for the LED's. flickering backlight could possibly be the dimmer switch, rather than the clocks. If its just behind one dial that it flickering it's probably the clocks though resoldering the connectors I don't think will resolve it.

Last edited:

philmccavity

oh, it seemed from what Ive read that dry joints was quite a common problem. Whats your guess?

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
oh, it seemed from what Ive read that dry joints was quite a common problem. Whats your guess?

Dry joints are a common issue yes. I see one of my previous posts may have been misleading. Majority of the time its the green connector where all the signals from sensors etc come in that is the problem. As I mentioned above, the LED's are powered from the black connector. If there was a dry joint there, all the LED's would flicker, but from your description its sounds like a portion of the circuit at fault.

If you taking the clocks out, I'd reflow solder on the connectors as a matter of course, but the LED issue sounds like a localised issue to that particular lighting circuit on the PCB. This thread may give some guidance http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=282066&highlight=bondiblu

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.