Intermittent and slow wipers.

Paulos52

Jul 12, 2021
Warwickshire
Hello people.....could anyone suggest what might be wrong with the operation of my wipers ?
They are moving very slowly compared to usual, and sometimes stopping halfway down the screen on the return stroke. I've read that there is a relay somewhere, but wouldn't have a clue about where it is.
Cheers in advance.

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
Hello people.....could anyone suggest what might be wrong with the operation of my wipers ?
They are moving very slowly compared to usual, and sometimes stopping halfway down the screen on the return stroke. I've read that there is a relay somewhere, but wouldn't have a clue about where it is.
Cheers in advance.
That sounds like the linkage or even the motor sized

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
See if I can get a spray of WD40 onto the linkages without having to take the whole lot out.
It might help, but won't last long with WD , but if it gets better short term strip down and grease up, but if as you say it gets better off the screen then might be worn and jamming up under preasure

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
Yes, that does make sense.
So there is no chance it could be the wiper relay, wherever that is located ?
I would not have thought so, does it do the same on all speeds? a relay would be just on or off, I have had your symptoms years ago in a Cortina and stripped down and greased up and never had a problem after

Paulos52

Jul 12, 2021
Warwickshire
Ok, will be on it first thing tomorrow......got a job interview at 2.00pm which I have a feeling I will be cancelling until later in the week..... we'll see.
Good clean up and re-grease first....... second option a new wiper motor.

Paulos52

Jul 12, 2021
Warwickshire
Well, I've just removed the complete mechanism and one of the spindles is seized up rock solid. How the motor was ever able to move it in the first place God only knows.
Now a search for a complete linkage mechanism........

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
Well, I've just removed the complete mechanism and one of the spindles is seized up rock solid. How the motor was ever able to move it in the first place God only knows.
Now a search for a complete linkage mechanism........
That is poss the best solution but can you not remove the spindle and grease up ?

Paulos52

Jul 12, 2021
Warwickshire
Well, I've been hitting the top of the spindle that hard with a copper mallet.......circlip removed beforehand......that it's bent and finally broken off the threaded part ☹️

Paulos52

Jul 12, 2021
Warwickshire
Thanks for the link but postage is quoted at sometime next week and I can't wait that long.
Just ordered the complete linkage mechanism from the bay...... delivery by Wednesday and brand new.........just hope that the motor is ok.