Is 1.6 powerful enough???

PhiloB

Hello,

been offered the Altea 1.6 reference sport for the revolution price,£10495.

Anyone got one/driven one? does it feel underpowered?The car we drove was the 1.9tdi version and due to the snow,wont get out today to t/drive,hence my quick question!

Cheers,
Phil

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
yup - and because it'll feel underpowered you will give it more revs making the mpg worse.

worth paying out the wee bit more if you can for the tdi, so that you'll recoup longer term on fuel

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
The difference in (new) price is £1000, so 51.4mpg vs 36.7mpg

14.7mpg difference.

Gallon of fuel @ £0.90 = £4.095

So to recoup your saving you need to do 244 gallons of fuel or 3589 miles (ish)

So the car will have paid for itself by August :)

PhiloB

The difference is still a grand though.petrol vs diesel,is the oil burner dearer to service at seat?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
not initially - you don't need to change anything like spark plugs that the petrol has until later in it's life.

it's all just oil & filters for both really

PhiloB

i cant afford a diesel,may have to look for a different car....

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
even though the petrol will cost you more by 4000 miles? that's a shame

what about a 2nd hand one - there should be loads of altea's - ex SEAT UK cars etc

it's 12 months away before changing the Ibiza,
but currently tossing between
Ibiza 1.9TDi vs New Leon 1.6 Petrol???

Current Ibiza is petrol, the above 2 choice cars cost about the same initially.

don't know what to do?? guess we'll argue the pro's and con's right up to the order date next Feb :think:

Pug will be changed for another diesel for definate. Hopefully an 05 model Leon1 TDi FR+ (if i can find a good one for sale in 12 months??)

djrichard

DJRICHARD
Mar 11, 2004
glasgow
Ive got a 55 plate 1.6 Toledo right now. Had it for a week as a courtesy car while my PD100 1.9 TDi is getting fixed. OMG the 1.6 is slow as hell and uses way more fuel! So apart from the initial outlay with the diesel I would never EVER EVER consdire a small petrol engine. Now imagine that in an Altea with all that weight.........! OOFT!

hibitdat

Leon FR TDI 150 Plat Grey
Sep 30, 2004
Dorset
No, it's slow!

Had a new shape Toledo with the same engine for a month as a courtesy car - it had done over 15k miles and was well run-in.

Hell it was slow! I have driven many slow cars and my girlfriend has a less than rapid Skoda Felicia 1.9 Diesel (def not a turbo!) and you can imagine her joy when she was able to not only keep up with me in the Toledo 1.6 but to pass it too. With her massive 64bhp thats some feat!

I have driven an Altea 1.6 on a short run and the slight weight advantage makes no odds - it's slow. Too slow for a SEAT and too slow for modern motoring unless you like the slow lane. Save the extra for the 1.9 TDI - you will regret every second in a 1.6 if you don't. A TDI (or FSI) will use less fuel, be quieter, probably last longer because you won't have to thrash it and it will be worth more at then end. Guess that's why the 1.6 is discounted.

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
i paid the extra for the diesel in my wifes altea....even though the bhp is more or less the same the difference in torque is huge between the 1.9tdi and 1.6......the 1.9 pulls very well at low revs but obviously drops right off after 3000rpm....the car really needs the 2L to be spritley but the value for money the 1.9tdi gave we bought it

overall it is a very enjoyable car to drive it just needs more guts......i might look at the fr tdi 170 for my LC replacement

nickfrog

The difference in (new) price is £1000, so 51.4mpg vs 36.7mpg

14.7mpg difference.

Gallon of fuel @ £0.90 = £4.095

So to recoup your saving you need to do 244 gallons of fuel or 3589 miles (ish)

So the car will have paid for itself by August

A bit late now, but those calculations are wrong. The break even point is about 36,000 miles. If it was 10 times less, there would be no petrol engines being made anymore. I would still recommend 1.9 TDI. Obviously, if we assume that the residual value will be 5 to 10% for the diesel, this will lower the bep. My wife has the 1.6 stylance as when we bought prereg 18 months ago (would anyone buy a brand new Altea?), the dif in price was about £1,500. Car too slow on the road but fine in town where we use for school runs, and low mileage. On the plus side, it is a very quiet car.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.