Is my windshield cracked?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
+1 for yes.

That sort of windscreen damage can’t be repaired - the only option is a replacement screen.

Reactions: Tell

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Is it a heating element of somesorts or an antenna.

Does look like a crack however it looks countoured to a set design and the bottom bit is nice and straight

Jpbroad1970

Jul 11, 2022
I have one down my screen, I presumed it was dab aerial or something to do with humidity sensor

Tell

Staff member
Dab aerials and the like are in the rear windscreen.

I'd get the autoglass company of whoever your insurance is against to have a look at it. Driving with a crack is illegal in the UK.

Once the glass is changed keep an eye open for water leaks. They don't always get them back in perfect. Had one they had to take out again and put back in as it leaked. Was a Citroen ZX the front windscreen of those were prone to cracking after a stone chip. Pretty instant. Went thru about three windscreens on that. Seat seem better.

Jpbroad1970

Jul 11, 2022
My line is dead straight and bonded between the glass, it's a 66 plate. I'll see if I can find out what it is.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
From @lewish ‘s second picture, it looks as if there’s a stone chip on the line of the possible crack in the glass. The stone chip may have created a weak spot, which could cause the screen to crack and spread out from that weak spot - assuming the line we can see is a crack.

If it is a crack (it’ll almost certainly be on the outside surface of the screen), it maybe possible to feel it by running a fingernail across it.

Perhaps @lewish will let us know if the possible crack passes or fails the fingernail test.

Jpbroad1970

Jul 11, 2022
Screenshot_20221120-184523.png

This is a pic of one on eBay, same line

Beta

Nov 27, 2022
My wife's 17 plate Ibiza has the same 'crack' on the windscreen, I think it is some type of transmitter or receiver, I'm sure it's not a crack.

Beta

Nov 27, 2022
My wife has had her car from new 01/03/2017, this 'crack' was there from new and has passed all 3 MOT's. It looks like a wire that is embedded within the laminates of the glass.and although I don't know what it is I've always assumed it was some sort of transmitter or receiver.

Tell

Staff member
Looks like the answer. For some reason, probably cost, they have moved the aerial into the front screen from the rear where traditionally they are on other cars. On other models with the fin or aeriel up at the rear, the fin has the GPS in it if you have a wired heated front windscreen, other than that it's under the front dash. The bump on the roof at the back. The detachable aeriel on the rear is the mobile one. Others they put in the side panel. The dab / FM was in the glass.

The Ateca dealer training manual SSP153 shows this... if some one wants to spend £7-50 on Erwin you might find something similar on the place of aerials showing it's upfront on Ibiza
Screenshot_20221129-101104.png

Screenshot_20221129-101113.png

Screenshot_20221129-101123.png

Screenshot_20221129-101136.png

The Ateca as well as other models now have the shark fin not R11 that was common. Think the mobile aeriel is now in the panel on those.

Looking at the 2022 Ibiza model picture the Ibiza still has the R11 mobile aeriel at the back. The GPS bit won't be connected as said. Only used where there is a heated wired front windscreen that interfers with GPS aeriel mounted under the dash. Mobile aeriel could be in the fin... Think there is duplication of the capability of the components which aren't always connected but connected elsewhere.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Since I dangled the possibility of the Ibiza dealer training model I found the Ibiza 2017 which I don't reckon is breaking copyright. Always a treasure trove - attached. For the Ibiza 2017 the SSP has that at the back page 57.... All we need to check is any facefifted models. Although what is being talked about is free 2017.... more Google's 🤣. So we are expecting to see the below in Ibiza 2017 model. Enjoy the training material... I love them 😉.

Screenshot_20221129-170557.png

Attachments

• SSP00016620-Nr__166__SEAT_IBIZA_2017.pdf
    6.9 MB · Views: 63
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.