Is this the best Cupra available? 2015 - 2017 Seat Leon Cupra 290

Sep 4, 2020
Is the 2015 -2017 Cupra 290 DSG the best Cupra you can buy? I've researched into the models and as a stock car this seems to be the loudest and fastest 0-60 time for the cupra models even the new 290 and 300 aren't as quick 0-60 unless you get the 4 Wheel drive Cupra 300 version.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or tips as I'm looking to purchase Cupra soon, previously owned a 8v Audi S3 so I'm looking to get away for 4 wheel drive so only looking at FWD Cupra's, want to make sure I'm getting the most for money.

Thanks
Luke

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
I believe they are all pretty much identical for performance in reality. If you check out real performance figures from reviews where they've tested the cars acceleration and braking etc, then you'll see there is nothing between them.
The 300 is supposed to be the loudest and the 280 the quietest. The new 290 has the GPF which makes it quieter than the 300 but this is easily resolved by doing exhaust mods.
I'd go for the car that meets the spec you want for the price you are willing to pay.

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
Performance is identical across the range really, most of it is just marketing, although I do think the 290 around 2016 is best bang for buck if you get the black edition, due to the buckets and winter pack etc included as standard

Reactions: Andy Knoxville

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
Depends what you're interested in I guess. Headlamps are supposed to be better in the facelift model. Some people also claim the build quality is better. Facelift also has an electronic handbrake but that's a marmite feature.

Latest models also have the virtual cockpit.

I doubt you could tell the difference in performance on the road. As @Kirky says, I would base my decision on spec and price.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
As per the previous replies.

Facelift model has a better interior/tech, headlights. I much prefer the alcantara fabric to the leather too.

Having owned both pre-FL and FL, most of the rattles and build quality issues on pre-FL can be addressed with some felt tape placed at the at points where rubbing/vibration occurs. Bottom of A-pillars where they meet the dash, transmission tunnel, door cards etc.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members