is this the start of a big problem? ? ? ? NOW WITH PICTURES!!!

Feb 1, 2010
Leicester
hi all. I gave the car a quick clean today and checked the oil. After taking off the filler cap i noticed a very small amount of white gunk! Is this just from the extreme weather ie condensation or is it potential engine trouble? car is a 07 plate tfsi , thanks in advance.

Last edited:

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
If the car is used on constant short trips mate and does not get a chance to get upto temp then it could be condensation, but could also be head failure :( Hows your coolant looking?

jon-tfsi

Mar 29, 2008
A small amount is usually nothing to worry about on a modern engine. To meet emmisions, crank case gasses are recirculated which can lead to condensation build up. If it turns into more than a small amout start worrying!!

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
A small amount is usually nothing to worry about on a modern engine. To meet emmisions, crank case gasses are recirculated which can lead to condensation build up. If it turns into more than a small amout start worrying!!

You took the words out of my mouth. A few white spots or little white mayo under the oil cap is fine.

Feb 1, 2010
Leicester
coolant is fine
it was a small amount maybe i am worrying about nothing;

i have wiped it off now and will keep an eye on it'

Its under warranty till march so if there is a problem i want to get it sorted before it runs out

Thanks for the replies

Jun 26, 2008
Just round the corner.
Take it for a decent run mate, agree with the above. Also smell the coolant tank and oil. Oil and water have a destinct smell, shouldn't be anything to worry about........Just don't hold me to it.

Feb 1, 2010
Leicester
Take it for a decent run mate, agree with the above. Also smell the coolant tank and oil. Oil and water have a destinct smell, shouldn't be anything to worry about........Just don't hold me to it.

ok no problem;

Might give it a run out to notts or birmingham and try and do my xmas shopping while i am there.

As for the road trip that everyone was talking about, not for me but sounds like it could be good fun.

Feb 1, 2010
Leicester
an update i wiped the oil cap off last time i wrote the post about a week or so ago and then checked it tonight;

It has got a thin layer on it

i have tried to put the picture on so let me know what you think?

Just worried it is under warranty till feb and dont want to ignore a problem that could be expensive for me a few months later.

15122010115.jpg

Noel<>leoN

Oct 5, 2007
Hedge your bets and report it- book it in for the dealers to have a check. If it does blow you can justify saying that the problem existed while the car was under warranty, they just didn't fix it correctly, so they should still fix it now.

Or, get an aftermarket warranty- but make sure it covers whatever this might be, and starts as soon as your manufacturer warranty finishes.

Feb 1, 2010
Leicester
I'd get on the phone tomorrow mate to SEAT, that doesn't look good at all! Definately looks like the head gasket is on it's way out. Sorry mate.

its under warranty at willoughbys seat in notts.

The manufacturer warranty is out but its still under there own warranty.

Should think something like that would be covered though?????

Yogi_bear

It might not be Head Gasket, but possibly oil modean ( oil Cooler ) it is made up of small plates welded together using the coolant to cool the oil, This happend to me on a vectra V6, replaced oil cooler all ok.

The Modean might have a split in it internal mixing the oil and coolant both together????

If it is a Head gasket has gone, garage will know by doing a sniff test on header tank.

Just anothe thought

Under warranty take to garage.

Feb 1, 2010
Leicester
i am going to ring seat tommorrow and see if i can take it to them on friday as i can get away from work early .

Only problem i have got to drive it from leicester to nottingham.

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
an update i wiped the oil cap off last time i wrote the post about a week or so ago and then checked it tonight;

Just worried it is under warranty till feb and dont want to ignore a problem that could be expensive for me a few months later.

15122010115.jpg

What type of runs has your car done since you last wiped the cap? ie long runs or short?
If you look inside the oil cap hole into the cam box is there any sign?
Also has it used any water or gained any oil?
If all these checks are ok then I would put it down to the cold weather. My tfsi also does this in the winter but only notice it when oil requires topping up so every couple of thousand.
If your car runs ok and doesn't use water I would email your picture to the dealer and save your time and fuel.

Feb 1, 2010
Leicester
its done work and back roughly twelve miles each way and gets up to temp each time and maybe 5 minute journey at night.

I top the oil up regular like any normal fr and have not noticed and water going missing????

How much of this **** do you get on yours

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
As I say I only see mine when topping the oil up but I would say similar to yours.
I do a 16 mile run to work and same home.
If your not using oil or water mention it to your dealer but I suspect its more to do with the cold temps we've been having.
My opinion is your worrying about nothing and the dealer will tell you the same.
My car has done nearly 40000 miles and I know there's nothing wrong with it.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London

15122010115.jpg

I had this really really bad on mine and thought the worst, but i had been doing ALOT of really short journeys where thwe car was only getting 1/4 of the way to full temp. I took her out for an hour long very spirited drive, lo and behold, it never came back for the following year.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise