It ain't condensation this time?

JonnyF

Jan 4, 2012
Sounds like the head gasket, are the coolant pipes very hard after you've had it out for a run?

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Can't see your reply mate
569b7fdc-bb44-eabd.jpg

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=50.633964,-3.519114

LeonES

Jun 7, 2011
My mate has just had a very similar thing with his Audi TT, a scan revealed that cylinder 4 was mis-firing and gunk in the breather pipes and oil filler cap and the oil level had dramatically decreased in a very short space of time. Turned out to be a faulty coil pack, now it's running properly again all the gunge has cleared.

tonto

Apr 17, 2011
plymouth
i wouldnt jump straight to head gasket issue, not with VAG cars anyway!

coilpacks, and breather pipes i would have checked first!

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
<<<<< Exeter

Andy, my most sincere apologies! I was using the app on my phone and couldn't see your signature, totally forgot that user name was you :p

I've just taken the car to SMC for tomorrow's diagnosis, been given a little 1.4 Ibiza :)

Will see what the outcome is, I'd point to the coilpacks aswell, coming up Telegraph hill (which is very steep) there was a lot of hesitation? We shall see....

Andy, we should meet up this week if you're free?

tonto

Apr 17, 2011
plymouth
telegraph and holden are *******ly steep!
hopefully, its just a coilpack issue.

i get it alot with my FR, but i dont do big trips - at first i was very concerned!

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
Andy, my most sincere apologies! I was using the app on my phone and couldn't see your signature, totally forgot that user name was you :p

I've just taken the car to SMC for tomorrow's diagnosis, been given a little 1.4 Ibiza :)

Will see what the outcome is, I'd point to the coilpacks aswell, coming up Telegraph hill (which is very steep) there was a lot of hesitation? We shall see....

Andy, we should meet up this week if you're free?

No worries Dan, I was trying to PM you, but my wireless has crashed out for most of the afternoon, to see if you were free before you dropped the car down to Newton Abbot. I'm away most of the week as it's half term and taking the kids down to Cornwall. I'll be around for part of Monday so will PM you tomorrow if I've got a spare couple of hours to see if you're free.

Fingers crossed it's just a quick fix for the Leon. I was thinking breather issues too, you'd notice if the head gasket was knackered, especially on a turbo car.

JonnyF

Jan 4, 2012
I had it on my last car and it ran perfectly fine on boost, it just blew coolant out and wasn't as far as the oil ways when the head was removed. It was just a gasket failure which is very rare on a zetec engine I'm told, the garage that I took it to said these rarely go I can't see it being that. He took it for a spin and came back and felt the coolant hoses and they were very hard which I already knew. Even if it is rare it can happen no matter what, that why I suggested feeling how hard the coolant hoses were.

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Ok Andy, no worries mate, give me a pm tomorrow as I don't have signal at my dad's and see what we can do. Hopefully it will be a quick fix and it's a coilpack or a hose, do the dealers carry these instock to save me having to wait? Could do with the car back tomorrow to crack on with my other bits.

Jonny, checked the hoses when I got there, they had gone soft and warm plus as I said, the coolant hadn't moved at all. Just hope it's a coilpack or something simple, I still don't think my diverter valve is working though!

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
mine is exactly like that make.

i have litrally just had my coil packs changed aswell. i just put it down to the silly cold conditions at the moment.

where is the oil breather pipe would like to get mine checked also :D

looks minimal mate i wouldnt worry. when was last service?

lee

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
you sure that oil looks old and skanky to me!!

have you check if the coil packs have been done under the recall yet?

as mentioned check the breather pipe i have heard from other sources that this is prone on the 2.0 tfsi engine.

as for hesitation i would say sparks or coil packs. whats it like once its fully warmed up?

lee

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
That's what they said mate, it's hard to tell from the picture because it's small.
40k service is an oil change I believe?

Well the car is in the garage now ready for tomorrow, see what they find. I'm almost certain it's the coils or possibly spark plugs.
Hesitation is still apparent when the car is fully upto temp.

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
i dunno havent got my book with me left it in the car. but i thought 40k was the big one. oil. brakes, sparks etc.

like i said try for the recall :) cheap and needs doing anyway

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise