Just had a great week in the Ibiza !

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Ok something a bit different to the normal tear arsing around town, and wondering about mods etc, I took the FR on holiday. :funk:

I know we all (me included) come on here and bitch about the failings and shortcomings of our cars but how often do we praise them when they work without fault ?

So I thought I would start.

Ive just had a great week down at the south coast which pushed the Ibiza carring capacity to the limit. Two adults, two teenagers and a child with all the luggage is quite an achievement in compact sized car but thanks the wonderful invention of vacuum storage bags we were able to squeeze (just) everything in. :blink:

The car ran great even fully loaded the 1.9 motor still pulled like an ox when the need arrived to overtake lorries and the inevitable caravans. :ban:

We decided to ditch the M25 and take the A roads which although a slightly longer journey is a more interesting drive and we could pull over if the little one needed a pee etc.
The aircon was ice cold all the way but I still managed a computer indicated 68 mpg on the way down and 63mpg on the return. I normally take off 10 mpg for the over enthusiastic computer so that should put the overall mpg in the mid 50’s which iam well pleased with. I filled up before I left and I think I totalled about 240 miles with the full gauge not yet at the halfway point.

My only small complaint is that after about 1hr 30min my right ankle begin to ache as I think the throttle is perhaps set a little high on these cars. :shrug:
Still a good drive though and really could not ask any more. :clap:

TazB

Xbox Gamer Tag = TazCupra
Mar 23, 2007
Glasgow
Funny how you still complained lol. I've done a few 400mile journeys and I know what you mean.

Really surprised you fitted all the luggage in. Me an the gf fill the boot with the crap she takes for a week. Now we've got a baby I'm gonna get a roof box. Woman an there clothes :ban:

tomhowroyd

Glacier blue pd130 sport
Apr 5, 2011
Sussex/Kent/York
With that kind of mpg the throttle probably wasn't being pushed down enough in my opinion! Only joking, amazed by those figures, especially under that kind of load! I took my car from York to newcastle at around midnight last night, and it was fantastic. Really gave the engine a good fast run through the country roads and then the A roads! Nice when no one is around and you really get a chance to wind the car out!

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
I went from Stockport to Alton Towers and back yesterday in mine, ran like a dream! No issues whatsoever. Returned good mpg for a 1.2 petrol too, left with 1/2 tank of fuel, got back and I've still got a 1/4. Did about 100 miles.

Being a 1.2, fully loaded with 2 teenage lads and 2 teenage girls definitely took the egde off the performance :lol:

It seemed to handle the twisties reasonably well for a standard car too, these Ibizas must be crazy good with coilovers (not slammed) and a rear ARB.

Found it reasonably comfortable to drive too, only issue is I think the drivers seat is a bit high. There's no height adjustment, and I'm feeling myself bumping my head on the roof at times, and I'm only 5ft 8! :lol:

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
They are pretty good actually. I had mine on a run from Glasgow to Manchester last year. Filled up, drove down and around Manchester then back up and still had 1/4 of a tank left! :D

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Yeah I did complain a bit after all :lol:

The throttle issue is something my missus finds as well when she’s driven the car for long distances. I am fine for the first hour or so but after that my ankle starts to go numb and ache. Really wish I had cruise control fitted now. Deffo something I may look into as iam going to keep the car a while but iam un sure if anyone fits one around the WGC /St Albans area.

With ref to the fuel I did drive on a very light throttle to keep the changes smooth as the 7 year old we borrowed has been known to suffer car sickness if he gets chucked around to much. So I was in 6th a lot from 40 mph onwards and mostly cruising around 60 mph on A roads.

My old 8v Polo was a real slug when loaded with 4 up and often would need a foot to the floor just to get moving after 50 mph the Ibiza hardly seems to change in its pick up. :)

If your tight for boot space then vacuum storage bags are amazing (as long as you have access to a Hoover at the other end to re-pack) and I could not have got all the clothes and bedding otherwise.

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
40mph in 6th in my car labours quite badly, careful your not damaging the clutch lol

Mine seems to pick up ok from 40 mph onwards :shrug:
Any less and you can feel the engine labour but from 1300 rpm onwards it picks up clean. Yeah your right about the clutch though and i would not floor it at that speed but drop down the 4th.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members