Just Ordered New Mk3 Cupra 280

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
With modern machining methods it wont make much difference. Your car will have run in the first time the engine sparked into life!

.....i am an mechanical engineer designing aero engines with lot more horsepower than 280.

j

So why does SEAT still put a running in info bit in the owners manual about not exceeding a certain speed or revs, or labouring the engine for the first 500/1000 miles.

Last edited:

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
So why does SEAT still put a running in info bit in the owners manual about not exceeding a certain speed or revs, or labouring the engine for the first 500/1000 miles.

I agree, the request to run in is in the handbook for a reason or why bother wasting ink/paper. :confused:

Apr 15, 2009
Wolverhampton
I dont see the point, i nevere have never will. All cars I have owned are driven hard from the start they run so much better and im sure others will aggree.

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
I dont see the point, i nevere have never will. All cars I have owned are driven hard from the start they run so much better and im sure others will aggree.

Please send me the registrations of every car you've owned as I don't want one :whistle:.

Always follow the manufactures guidelines as when you claim On the warranty and they prove you failed to follow the guides then kiss good bye to your warranty.

Can't beleive on a £27k car you would be so stupid...

Apr 15, 2009
Wolverhampton
Would never happen, this topic as been covered so many times before so it gets a bit booring. The fact of the matter is I agree with what the other guy said modern day engines are different. If you wanna waste time driving at stupidly low speeds feel free, but there will be no difference at the end of it.

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Seen this, so both arguments win ????????

The goal of modern engine break-ins is the settling of piston rings into an engine's cylinder wall. A cylinder wall is not perfectly smooth but has a deliberate slight roughness to help oil adhesion. As the engine is powered up, the piston rings between the pistons and cylinder wall will begin to seal against the wall's small ridges.
In the past, the engine break-in period was very important to the overall life and durability or the engine. The break-in period required has changed over the years with improved piston ring materials and designs. The break-in period now (5-10 hours) is short in comparison with that of engines of the past. Aluminium cylinder bore engine piston rings break-in faster than those used on cast iron cylinder bores

MOzR1

Oct 13, 2014
This has always been controversial - my race bikes have always been warm up - thrash - replace oil and filter - run in complete!

With a £30k car I'm not going to be quite so harsh but I try to warm properly, avoid full throttle and revs (75% will do) and deffo avoid labouring the engine or long periods at steady revs.

Motorways are not the place to run anything in!

MOzR1

Oct 13, 2014
Interestingly, I remember talking to a BMW dealer a couple of years back and he told me when Beemer introduced the V8 M3, if the ECU diagnostics reported the car had exceeded a certain rev ceiling during the running in period when checked, the warranty would be invalid....

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
Interestingly, I remember talking to a BMW dealer a couple of years back and he told me when Beemer introduced the V8 M3, if the ECU diagnostics reported the car had exceeded a certain rev ceiling during the running in period when checked, the warranty would be invalid....

If they wanted to enforce it that much surely they would have just set the ecu to give a much lower red line / rev limiter until x miles were reached?

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
If they wanted to enforce it that much surely they would have just set the ecu to give a much lower red line / rev limiter until x miles were reached?

But by doing it the way they did, it was you the owner that lost your warranty so they were quids in, they don't want to enforce it, they just have to inform you their running in procedure, and if you want a warranty, follow it. It's not that you have to crawl around slowly, reading some of the comments here makes me wonder if they have actually read what it says. Max two thirds top speed (103 in my 280), no full throttle/max revs, no labouring, etc, not such a big deal really.:D

Last edited:

Rokerlad

Sep 25, 2004
East of Eden
I drove my brand new Cupra home from Stoke at a constant 70 - 85 mph covering 180-ish miles. Since then I've driven it as it was designed to be driven......fast ! My first SEAT was an ex demo MK1 Cupra R 225 10 years ago so you can guarantee it will have had a hard early life. It never missed a beat in the 4 years I had it. Do what you want to, I'm sure you will have nothing to worry about.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I'm sure the dealer demonstrators aren't run in for the first 1000 miles ;) - And they then get sold with full warranty!!
On a recent test drive of a dsg 280 Cupra , I was encouraged by the salesman to give it the full beans - I did, he went a funny colour - so both engine, gearbox and brakes got abuse. It'll then be sold on..... ;)
A certain car company has an engine plant not far from here. Engines are pulled off line and tested till they are red hot. Then they go back on the line and end up in someone's car. If it lasts 3 years happy days. If not , its a warranty claim.

MOzR1

Oct 13, 2014
Factory order so probably won't get it till early next year. Dealer is going to confirm 'estimated' delivery later this week. :D

Late Feb to early Mar sat in it if what SEAT UK told my dealer last week Id guess.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.