Just taken delivery of FR Edition ACT

eightball103

weirdo
May 2, 2014
I test drove one last weekend. I'm sold on it. its got about the same 0-60 as my mini and nearly double the MPG... gotta give it the sploosh.

scott88491

Hi guys, I've been running the fr edition for about a month now. Absolutely loving it. So much more punch than my old 1.4 polo match. Other than some amazingly bad luck with the tyres. Already lost 2 to punctures. I'm averaging high 30s for mpg mostly for a roads. It's been pretty easy on oil so far. 500ml in 3000 miles. Put alligators on to protect the rims. Looks pretty smart. Pics to follow.

jakesbrakes

Rapid old fart
Jun 23, 2010
Bexhill on sea
Just seeing the first 1000 miles not bothered checking the oil yet, but don't think its going to be much further before I do.. After the experience with the the Cupra
Still bit too early to give mpg but getting about 42mpg at this stage.
Not at all happy with the action of the gear box selection, its very agricultural bit like the old original minis which had weak syncros, at times it refuses to go into reverse. And coming down through fourth to third Hope will lighten up a bit with some more mileage. Its strange as had this box on the old Ibiza 2.0 Tdi Fr so hope will improve.
Also getting a very odd kind of noise and not sure its in the front or rear, its a bit like one of those cars which have a spare wheel suspended under the boot but has a flat tyre and the wire frame moves about .
Will investigate further. Apart from that am very pleased with the pickup and balance of this engine.
Will revert with more info as time goes by.

Last edited:

scooter1556

Mar 24, 2013
I can't say you're overly selling this engine to me. I know there is a performance difference between the 1.4 ACT and 1.2 TSI but I also rather hoped that real-world MPG would be better too. High 30's on 50/60 MPH A roads sounds about 5-10 less than I would manage with the 1.2 even when new and oil usage has been 0. Nevertheless, it is good performance for the tax bracket and I guess in everyday non-town driving this is a 140PS 4-cylinder engine for the most part so low 40's is about right. Not sure if the price difference between the 2 engines and similar cars from other manufacturers is worth it though...

arf1989

Apr 9, 2014
I can't say you're overly selling this engine to me. I know there is a performance difference between the 1.4 ACT and 1.2 TSI but I also rather hoped that real-world MPG would be better too. High 30's on 50/60 MPH A roads sounds about 5-10 less than I would manage with the 1.2 even when new and oil usage has been 0. Nevertheless, it is good performance for the tax bracket and I guess in everyday non-town driving this is a 140PS 4-cylinder engine for the most part so low 40's is about right. Not sure if the price difference between the 2 engines and similar cars from other manufacturers is worth it though...

You are right that real-world MPG is not as the stated 60.xx MPG but I've been rather pleased with my own MPG. I tend to average minimum of 47+ and can get it around 55MPG if I'm travelling at around 50mph.

...and that is with the 1.4 ACT engine :D

adamstreeter

Feb 10, 2010
You are right that real-world MPG is not as the stated 60.xx MPG but I've been rather pleased with my own MPG. I tend to average minimum of 47+ and can get it around 55MPG if I'm travelling at around 50mph.

...and that is with the 1.4 ACT engine :D

What do people get at motorway speeds? 70-80mph or so? Thinking of sn st version to replace our 1.2 tsi somewhere down the line

arf1989

Apr 9, 2014
For me, the MPG varies from time to time - probably with the roads I go on. However, when I travel at 70mph, I tend to get a range between 47-55mpg.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise