Keep the diesel or opt for a petrol?

hewittinspain

May 27, 2017
I have a 2L FR 184 15 plate is diesel, its done around 44k and it runs fine. Ive recently heard of many stories that people are trying to steer people away from diesels nowadays. I intend to keep the car either another 3 yrs or change it now as its still worth about 8.5k part ex and go for a low mileage petrol equivalent. (12k budget)
I do around 13k a year and im hitting 52mpg on average so I guess a petrol would only get 40ish per gallon but thats not a massive concern. I do like my car but do I swap whilst its worth swapping?

Whats your thoughts?

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
id get a petrol in your case. maybe others can correct me but i feel like less than 20k warrants a petrol, unless all/the majority of your mileage is motorway only

salsajoe

Apr 12, 2017
Yorkshire
The price of nearly new diesel cars has dropped so if you are happy with diesel you may want to go for another? Doubt you would get 40mpg from a petrol 1.8 TSI (true mpg about 36). A 1.4 petrol 150 EVO would give you about 45mpg and is not slow. On fuel costs with the mileage you do petrol is probably the one to go for.

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
I'd only swap if you want a new car - it would rarely make financial sense to buy a newer one.

Not trying to put you off of course. If you'd like a change and can afford it then getting a new car is always exciting.

hewittinspain

May 27, 2017
Personally id like to keep the car as there is nothing wrong with it,I just know that they are now trying to steer us away from Diesels and everyone buy petrol or an eco equivilent and wasnt sure whether to change now whilst its worth over 8k on trade.
I probably drive 20 miles a day on the motorway and a further 5 or 6 on the street so my car does get a 20 minutes blast daily. How common are DPF problems with Seat's? I know people have had issues on other diesels and it can work out expensive to have them fixed.

Challymo

Apr 13, 2019
I was told by a Skoda salesman that DPF issues aren't as common with modern diesels, anecdotally I didn't have any issues with my VRS diesel over 2 and a half years commuting 6 miles each way to work.

Moh

Mar 18, 2019
I was told by a Skoda salesman that DPF issues aren't as common with modern diesels, anecdotally I didn't have any issues with my VRS diesel over 2 and a half years commuting 6 miles each way to work.

I've got a 2017 FL VRS TDI and my DPF light has come on on more than one occasion. I do tend to do a lot of city miles but i take it for a weekly blast on the motorway. Salesman told me it wouldn't come on for a good few years. Can't trust anything they tell you.

Reactions: '& Son' managed

Kempo

2015 Leon 1.4 FR EcoTSI
Dec 30, 2017
I have the 2015 1.4 TSI and it averages just under 40mpg. I only do about 8000 miles a year so for me it is fine and £20 road tax is awesome.

I do miss a bit of the torque I had before and that diesels provide and imagine your 184 diesel is actually a lot quicker than the 150bhp petrol.

Saying that, in Sport mode for me now it has enough power for my driving needs. Wife has a Volvo diesel so can have a play in that on occasion.

I would say keep yours.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I would say if under 10k miles a yr, go petrol, 10-12k, both is ok, 12k+ definately diesel. Unless you suddenly end up doing short journies in city (or drive in Central London (new ULEZ charges apply, not sure if 15 plate TDI is exempt or not)), just keep your 184. When I had my 2.0TDI 150 for 2 years, did 6k a year, usually city drives (long ish) no DPF lights at all, when I did long (high speed) journies, they were 100miles +. Just give your car some Vpower Nitro Plus diesel every 2k miles or so, and you should be fine DPF wise.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
I've got the 1.4 eco tsi ACT and do about 20k a year. Just recently did a trip up to the lake district from near Norwich and averaged 51.6mpg sitting at 80 on motorways wherever possible. Was pretty happy with that.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: '& Son' managed

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
It seems diesel will achieve pork chop in a synagogue status soon. Euro brands in NZ are reducing diesel models, but that has a lot to do with our $60 per 1000km's Road User tax.

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
It seems diesel will achieve pork chop in a synagogue status soon. Euro brands in NZ are reducing diesel models, but that has a lot to do with our $60 per 1000km's Road User tax.
VAG seem intent on pushing it. i think they must have invested a huge amount in diesel tech and research

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
VAG seem intent on pushing it. i think they must have invested a huge amount in diesel tech and research

The anti Diesel trend seems to be mostly the UK.

Much of mainland Europe still has diesel cheaper than unleaded and diesel is still the majority of vehicles.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I've got the 1.4 eco tsi ACT and do about 20k a year. Just recently did a trip up to the lake district from near Norwich and averaged 51.6mpg sitting at 80 on motorways wherever possible. Was pretty happy with that.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Does it go to 2 cylinder mode @ 80mph?

Kempo

2015 Leon 1.4 FR EcoTSI
Dec 30, 2017
Does it go to 2 cylinder mode @ 80mph?
The 2-cylinder (eco) mode can generally be when the engine is not under load and yes at motorway speeds and above it can kick in. But if you accelerate it goes off. It can be interesting trying to keep it on and feather the throttle to get tiny acceleration.

I find a big difference in economy from sitting at 80mph compared to *cough* slightly higher speeds. I think that is where torquey diesels win over.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.