Kessy Unlock not working when key is inside car

hamst

Jun 5, 2020
Hi,

Is there a reason that the car doesn't unlock itself if the key is inside? When i touch the door handle (kessy) i see the key inside lighting up but absolutely no reaction of the lock.

I find it a bit stupid and dangerous if the car locks itself and i cant unlock it. Could lock up a child inside the car for example

Can this be fixed by OBDELEVEN?

Thanks

Tell

Staff member
hmmm. Been similar threads with people moaning. I don't totally trust Kessy myself to not lock you out so I try to leave a door open if the keys are inside. It should read that the keys are inside and not lock. May be if the battery is low on the remote it looses contact so it will go into auto locking. Auto locking should only happen if the car is unlocked and you don't open a door and the keys are out. It then auto locks with you still out of it. It guards against unlocking the car without opening a door by accident and not relocking it. E.g.. you go out to the car, unlock, change your mind, walk back in, it will relock since the keys are out and it's lost connection with Kessy. It knows they keys are out since it cant get a link to the keys.

Obdeleven / coding does give you an option to auto lock as the key is removed from the vehicle and walk away. Clearly if the battery fails it will lock the car with the keys in if this has been enabled. Thus that's not a good option.

If it's a fault, it could be the receiver in the car is not detecting the keys. Flashing of the keys may not mean it's working. I'd change the remote battery with a decent quality one and see whether the problem goes away.

Early VWs people managed to lock the keys in the boot. In that instance the rear Kessy aeriel was not picking up the keys in the boot, so the boot got locked. You read quite a few early Kessy posts on that. Sports bag in the back with keys inside, brief case, jacket etc the owner got locked out.

Reactions: hamst

hamst

Jun 5, 2020
hmmm. Been similar threads with people moaning. I don't totally trust Kessy myself to not lock you out so I try to leave a door open if the keys are inside. It should read that the keys are inside and not lock. May be if the battery is low on the remote it looses contact so it will go into auto locking. Auto locking should only happen if the car is unlocked and you don't open a door and the keys are out. It then auto locks with you still out of it. It guards against unlocking the car without opening a door by accident and not relocking it. E.g.. you go out to the car, unlock, change your mind, walk back in, it will relock since the keys are out and it's lost connection with Kessy. It knows they keys are out since it cant get a link to the keys.

Obdeleven / coding does give you an option to auto lock as the key is removed from the vehicle and walk away. Clearly if the battery fails it will lock the car with the keys in if this has been enabled. Thus that's not a good option.

If it's a fault, it could be the receiver in the car is not detecting the keys. Flashing of the keys may not mean it's working. I'd change the remote battery with a decent quality one and see whether the problem goes away.

Early VWs people managed to lock the keys in the boot. In that instance the rear Kessy aeriel was not picking up the keys in the boot, so the boot got locked. You read quite a few early Kessy posts on that. Sports bag in the back with keys inside, brief case, jacket etc the owner got locked out.
Does your car do the same? It might be just a car coding thing.

I tested it 2 different ways both by keeping the windows open. (Obviously not to be locked out)

1 Locked the car via kessy then threw the key inside, tried to go in. Didnt open.

2. Locked the car via the lock button in the door. Never opened as well.

The moment I grab the key out of the car, everything works normally!

Ill try changing the batteries but I'm convinced its a car thing. Will keep u posted. Also if you can test would be awesome

Tell

Staff member
Does your car do the same? It might be just a car coding thing.

I tested it 2 different ways both by keeping the windows open. (Obviously not to be locked out)

1 Locked the car via kessy then threw the key inside, tried to go in. Didnt open.

2. Locked the car via the lock button in the door. Never opened as well.

The moment I grab the key out of the car, everything works normally!

Ill try changing the batteries but I'm convinced its a car thing. Will keep u posted. Also if you can test would be awesome
In normal use, like not throwing the key in the car after I've locked it, it won't let me lock the car with the keys in. It just does nothing when you touch the Kessy button with keys inside. That's occurred when I've forgotten to remove the key and try to lock it, to pay for fuel etc. It's those instances where this fails that people lock themselves out where it's misreading the presence of the key in the car.

Also if you have two keys. The Arona here can be awkward about opening the car with a different key to the one that locked it. This is where it's being packed to go away and we are using two different keys. There was one moment of trepidation once but the other key opened it. I might have locked key 1 in the car with key 2 out e.g.. mine. Recall it's what happended acquisitions flew but the second key opened it. The car was suppose to be left open and I locked it. Key 1 might have been out of the car when I did that but it was deemed my fault 🤐... but once key 2 was used to open it or lock it all was good. Was an interaction of swapping keys in the open / close operation when the car was "live".

Throwing the key in the car after you locked it and doesn't open is probably down to the logic that the internal aerial gets turned off once you lock it to save power so it stops reading the key. May be what happended in the paragraph above.

The last conversation I had on the subject was where someone routinely kept their keys in the car and found themselves locked out later. I questioned whether they had used Obdeleven auto walk off and lock. That one, I wouldn't trust that. They never replied on that question.

I find it best not to test it to the limits since you don't want to get locked out. If you do get locked out, it's not working properly.

Reactions: hamst

hamst

Jun 5, 2020
In normal use, like not throwing the key in the car after I've locked it, it won't let me lock the car with the keys in. It just does nothing when you touch the Kessy button with keys inside. That's occurred when I've forgotten to remove the key and try to lock it, to pay for fuel etc. It's those instances where this fails that people lock themselves out where it's misreading the presence of the key in the car.

Also if you have two keys. The Arona here can be awkward about opening the car with a different key to the one that locked it. This is where it's being packed to go away and we are using two different keys. There was one moment of trepidation once but the other key opened it. I might have locked key 1 in the car with key 2 out e.g.. mine. Recall it's what happended acquisitions flew but the second key opened it. The car was suppose to be left open and I locked it. Key 1 might have been out of the car when I did that but it was deemed my fault 🤐... but once key 2 was used to open it or lock it all was good. Was an interaction of swapping keys in the open / close operation when the car was "live".

Throwing the key in the car after you locked it and doesn't open is probably down to the logic that the internal aerial gets turned off once you lock it to save power so it stops reading the key. May be what happended in the paragraph above.

The last conversation I had on the subject was where someone routinely kept their keys in the car and found themselves locked out later. I questioned whether they had used Obdeleven auto walk off and lock. That one, I wouldn't trust that. They never replied on that question.

I find it best not to test it to the limits since you don't want to get locked out. If you do get locked out, it's not working properly.
I agree with you. So our cars react the same. Which is reassuring somehow.

Except in the case of having the keys inside and your child locks the car from the physical button on the door for example.

Its good to know the limits of your car, so that you dont get surprised when $hit hits the fan.

The lesson here is to always keep the keys in your pocket.

Thanks alot, Tell

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members