Key not recognised

Nov 7, 2020
I got my FR in January, really happy for the car, I have no issues with it yet, except with the key. Sometimes the car won't detect the key when we have freezing weather, so I can't start the car unless I use the backup point in the storage room between the seats. The problem are with both keys and when we are above 0c there are no problems.

Anyone with the same problem?

mackan73

Jan 23, 2021
The only issue I have with the keys is that keyless aceess not working properly.
I cannot open the doors by only touching the door handles, but have no problem to lock or start the car.
I live in Sweden and it has been some freezing weather here during the winter.

Tommy95

Jul 1, 2014
Coventry
The only issue I have with the keys is that keyless access not working properly.
I cannot open the doors by only touching the door handles, but have no problem to lock or start the car.
I live in Sweden and it has been some freezing weather here during the winter.
Mine is the same, I cant unlock the front doors using the touch point. I can open the boot without using the key.

What's strange is if the car is locked and I walk up to it, the front doors wont open when I use the handle to unlock. If I go the boot and open that, then close it and walk back round to the front door it will then register and unlock the car. Is yours the same? If I drive the car and then get out it will lock fine using the touch on the handle.

Anyone have any ideas why this is?

Tell

Staff member
Mine is the same, I cant unlock the front doors using the touch point. I can open the boot without using the key.

What's strange is if the car is locked and I walk up to it, the front doors wont open when I use the handle to unlock. If I go the boot and open that, then close it and walk back round to the front door it will then register and unlock the car. Is yours the same? If I drive the car and then get out it will lock fine using the touch on the handle.

Anyone have any ideas why this is?

I reckon that's the sleep mode come in as I said on the other thread. The sleep mode saves battery power on Kessy. On an Ateca it will shut down one side of the car so you have to take a walk round to the drivers side to get in and normal operation will continue. Yours is going to sleep on both sides assuming that they fitted Kessy on either side front door ?. Ateca they do and why it falls to sleep on the passenger side.

Evidently by walking round the back the rear Kessy sensors has picked up your presence and woke up the system why you can get in. Clearly it isn't suppose to work like that with the front totally shutting down.

Just for interest does the Leon have the Kessy on both front door handles (the groove mark) ?.

Maybe the 0'c freezing problem above is the same issue revisited. Low car battery, forced sleep mode 😉. Clearly there is something wrong. I only get one side of the Ateca Kessy going into car battery saver mode after leaving the car standing for a week or so... designed to do that. But only shuts you out of one side, passenger side.

I'd register that as a fault at your dealer if it's locking you out the front on both sides even if walking round the back does the trick.... now I'm wondering whether I always walk round the back to get in myself on the other side rather than the front 🤣. I'll try that next time it shuts the passenger side down.

mackan73

Jan 23, 2021
My dealer has now fixed the keyless access issue I had. At least it has worked a couple of days now :giggle:
They updated some SW (not the one shown in the infotainment system, because it shows the same version as before).

Reactions: Tell