LCR mpg not that bad !

Leon2012

Jan 24, 2012
but spending a few grand on a derv is pointless cause the ONLY reason you buy a diesel is for good mpg. by the time you spent silly money on it that goes out of the window.
may as well have just bought a proper engined car in the first place.

No, spending a few grand on a derv is great because you get huge amounts of torque, which is what pushes you around the corners....and also means you can beat petrol cars in the mid-range....plus you don't get your wallet raped so much on the fuel.

I definately didn't get a diesel for MPG though, I got it for the torque and tunability - I love my derv, and wouldn't bother with a petrol unless it was a rally car or a Maserati, lol....anything below that level is not going to impress me (and Subura Imprezas,etc, are not my thing on the street), whereas a tuned derv will make me smile every time I go for a drive, not having to rev the hell out of a petrol to get any enjoyment from it, lol

Last edited:

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
Just stumbled across this thread, when I had my LCR, no map, dynatwist and turbo back blueflame I would really struggle to get more than 31 on a motorway drive in regular traffic, you guys that get over 35 must have a tow rope attached to the front of it!

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk

Last edited:

phantom1

bucks beast
Nov 8, 2010
buckinghamshire
First and foremost 35mpg is very achievable on the lcr, that tho would mean you travel at least 15 miles or more and it helps if its motorway miles and not start stop street driving, on the subject of diesels there are some decent performance diesels out there, one being a bmw 335d which has 2 turbo chargers and a simple remap takes it to 350bhp and over 500lbs/ft of torque, with that kind of figures you beat most petrol performance cars on the road and you,d still get over 45mpg on spirited drives. Who says u cant have fun in a diesel

blackcupra180

Aug 4, 2009
fife
I've got a lc with 3" turbo back exhaust and jr filter and I've had 44.6 mpg on a 30 mile trip. But round the town it can be anything from 20-30mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jack_1.8t

Sep 28, 2010
midhurst
i was quite suprised to have only used half a tank doing 220 miles the other day! granted they were pretty much all motorway miles but still :) my old leon cupra used to be awful on fuel but this new LCR i got now is way better? lol

Feb 22, 2006
Penzance Cornwall
most people are right with the dervs, you cant beat that massive wave of torque, but ive had diesels and tuned them, but i just hate the noise of them, thats why i went back to petrol, yes i do a 60mile drive a day every day and it now costs twice as more, still get 37-41mpg from my cupra, but you cant beat the sound of a petrol.

although have you heard the new audi a6 bi turbo diesel, it sounds epic haha

Dudfield

only getting about 33 mpg when driving like a granny, only had the car a month so not sure what ii can do to improve it?

did however get 310 miles from a full tank but that was all motorway :(

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members