LCR Springs/Shocks

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Hi Damian,

Only just got round to fitting the suspension today - combination of no time / **** weather / mate's availability to come help me out! I've got one question - the front struts are identical, same part number and everything... Where the drop link attaches on the offside, the plate is curved forwards, meaning it catches on the droplink bushing on the top side... I'm guessing this isn't right, and someone at Prosport packaged up two offside struts by accident? If so how do I go about swapping it?

Thanks

Ben

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Hi Damian,

Only just got round to fitting the suspension today - combination of no time / **** weather / mate's availability to come help me out! I've got one question - the front struts are identical, same part number and everything... Where the drop link attaches on the offside, the plate is curved forwards, meaning it catches on the droplink bushing on the top side... I'm guessing this isn't right, and someone at Prosport packaged up two offside struts by accident? If so how do I go about swapping it?

Thanks

Ben
I have this kit to and mine are the same. I did think it was a bit strange but my bushes didn't catch anything and it all fitted ok so I presumed it's how they are?

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Ah right cheers Adam... Yeah doesn't seem right... The bush doesn't catch by much, but i think its enough to start to eat away at it over time... Also, did you need any spacers? I tried slamming it today and the bottom of the helper springs and the nuts underneath them that set the height started catching on the inside wall of the tyres...

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I already had spacers front and rear mate. Mines pretty low but could go down a bit more at the front if I wanted to rip the sump off :cartman:

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Nice, I can't get that low on mine without it rubbing, drivers side is worse, which is another thing leading me to believe the strut is wrong.. I'll see what Damian says!

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Ah thanks both of you. Damian I'm using the Vito drop links - they are perfect length but the bush just catches... To be honest I think I could probably bend the top of the metal out of the way, as it's only very slightly catching, I just didn't want to do this just yet incase I had the wrong part and needed to return it :)

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Ah right, I might see if there are any 5mm's knocking about then... For now I've raised em till they stopped rubbing on axle stands then a few mm more to make sure -I'm thinking once the car is on the ground the bottom of the spring and the adjustment nuts will always be the same level relative to the wheel/tyre? I gave it a few extra turns to factor in for tyre possibly bulging out slightly under the weight of the car...

Do you have any issues with rubbing at the back when you have passengers? Tyres look awful close to the arches and I imagine 12mm spacers are going to be pushing it even closer still!

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Ah right, I might see if there are any 5mm's knocking about then... For now I've raised em till they stopped rubbing on axle stands then a few mm more to make sure -I'm thinking once the car is on the ground the bottom of the spring and the adjustment nuts will always be the same level relative to the wheel/tyre? I gave it a few extra turns to factor in for tyre possibly bulging out slightly under the weight of the car...

Do you have any issues with rubbing at the back when you have passengers? Tyres look awful close to the arches and I imagine 12mm spacers are going to be pushing it even closer still!
It did rub the plastic arch liner at the back until I trimmed them, it's quite low tho.

Better pic of how it sits at he rear

And yes the wheel/tyre will not get any closer when it's on the ground :)

Last edited:

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Nice one, looks well, better than your old cupra :)

Don't suppose you know how long standard wheel bolts are do you? I'm toying with idea of getting 5mm spacers for the front to be able to drop it very slightly more, wouldn't be happy running standard bolts as I'm off to the 'ring in June and don't want a wheel falling off lol

GAP Insurance - cover the difference for peace of mind