Lcr vs Fiesta ST on top gear

Triple D

Lcr vs Fiesta ST on Fifth Gear

Just been watching Fifth Gear and the Fiesta ST beet the LCR around the Anglsea race track by nearly 3 seconds. Bit dissapointing :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

sted

random wierdo
they wernt against each other just the same track they pitted the st against a colt turbo czt

and on a small tight track like their anglesea track tbh id expect the st to win being smaller and lighter and tbh not giving away that much bhp

Triple D

Just realised that ive posted this in the wrong section, it should be in the MK1 section :doh:

Triple D

sted said:
they wernt against each other just the same track they pitted the st against a colt turbo czt

and on a small tight track like their anglesea track tbh id expect the st to win being smaller and lighter and tbh not giving away that much bhp

Yeah but did you see where the fabia VRS was? Abit below the LCR, Stick the Ibiza fr tdi up there, it'll whoop the ST.

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Its a load of crap... really does my head in. Last week the boggo 911 beat the Lotus elise 240r by miles....How? Only 60 BHP difference, but more than twice as light and track honed... Would of thought it would be well quicker. Plus that fiesta ST is less than a second slower than the focus RS? go figure.
And a mini cooper s convertable is quicker than the new cayman s?

sted

random wierdo
spaniels fr said:
Yeah but did you see where the fabia VRS was? Abit below the LCR, Stick the Ibiza fr tdi up there, it'll whoop the ST.

i imagine the tdi fr and vrs will get almost identical times as lets face it they are near enough the same car

in a 50 second lap there isnt going to be much time difference between anything id bet you could get a 1.2 arosa round within about 10-15 seconds of a noble

fez st vs rs may be about 1 second but thats about 2% slower

YerMother

comes and goes
Sep 22, 2004
East Midlands Drives: Scirocco GT
DIFT said:
Its a load of crap... really does my head in. Last week the boggo 911 beat the Lotus elise 240r by miles....How? Only 60 BHP difference, but more than twice as light and track honed... Would of thought it would be well quicker. Plus that fiesta ST is less than a second slower than the focus RS? go figure.
And a mini cooper s convertable is quicker than the new cayman s?

The 911 only won by around 1/10th of a second last week! The 911 won because it is a proper car! ;) plus traction and all out grunt comes into it! The elise may have 240 hp but only for a very short power band! Also lighter cars struggle with getting the power down out of bends making them twitchy! I just hate elises :D

EDIT: 265 BHP/tonne Lotus Exige S2 240R 250BHP/tonne Porsche 911 (997) Carrera S (3.8)

So 15BHP is not alot of difference the Lotus Exige S2 240R weighs 930 Kgs which is nearly 200Kgs heavier than a standard Elise!

Last edited:

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
is it not for cheaper programming or do they not get the right cars when they get to film them?take them round the track.
"right today we have a leon r a fiesta st and a netto shopping trolley .take em round and post the times,sod it lest compare them against each other,they aren't in the same class but never mind,its cheap car telly and top gears not on "

sted

random wierdo
jason said:
is it not for cheaper programming or do they not get the right cars when they get to film them?take them round the track.
"right today we have a leon r a fiesta st and a netto shopping trolley .take em round and post the times,sod it lest compare them against each other,they aren't in the same class but never mind,its cheap car telly and top gears not on "

the only way the st and lcr were compared was on the leaderboard which shows ALL cars they have tested the ST was tested against a colt 1.5turbo czt which is a sensible test

225 said:
Sounds like it was the usual quality programming.

I agree here, 5th Gear is shockingly bad automotive reporting. Not worth watching IMHO.

I know I have an Elise so I'm biased (by the way, it's the EXIGE 240R, not the Elise 240R), but anyone who doesn't know how to drive a superlight high powered sports car won't ever make a very good time around a track. It takes a proper driver to handle such a car properly ;)

AlphaMale

Apr 28, 2005
Cardiff
spaniels fr said:

Better yet a Ibiza TDi Cupra :p

I was quite shocked to hear from a friend who drives a Revo'd Leon Cupra R that he couldn't pull away from an Ibiza 1.9TDi sport!?!? he guessed it may have been chipped or something and put it to the back of his mind ... days later he saw another TDi and decided to have a blast and he said there was nothing in it :cry: he later asked the driver what he had done to the car and he replied "I have an induction kit and a cat back exhaust - not sure what power it's putting out"

He was gutted!

Alpha

mark sheerin

DUNLOP academy wanabee
May 26, 2002
www.fastalarms.co.uk
sted said:
the only way the st and lcr were compared was on the leaderboard which shows ALL cars they have tested the ST was tested against a colt 1.5turbo czt which is a sensible test
Which shows how the leaderboard can mislead....
different days can vary so much in laptimes...by four seconds easily even with identical cars

warren_cox

Back from the dead
That track doesn't lend itself to seeing the full potential of Leon. We all know the Leon is not the most effective car at hauling itself out of the corners, but give it a bite at some decent straight (of any gradient) and it claws back the times. The only real straight on their track is the start finish straight.

Initially I was very annoyed to see the Fiesta ST beating the Leon, but then on reflection of course it would. Remember when the Arrows of Damon Hill overtook Schuey in a Ferrari at Hungary as the track was suited to less powerful cars that weren't all about power. Horses for courses, and the track they use is very technical. The Leon R is a lumbering beast in OE spec and with the P-Zeros its like driving a wet lap with the grip they offer. Wonder if the ESP was cutting in all the time too like it was on the Colt which knocks off another second or two.

Alpha Male - if there is one thing I've learned about Revo on LCR's, its very effective but the heat soak / rising inlet temps that are driven by the modified map seem to have more of an effect on the cars performance than I thought. I can't wait to get the FMIC on there as I don't really rate the SMIC's with all the crap in the way / limited frontal area for cooling. I am still thinking of running aqaumist with the FMIC to get denser intake air and try and realise more effective returns. Its all about balancing your mods out. Add something that creates heat, net effect you'll need to cool it down. Modern diesels run turbos with high compression ratio engines - they are going to be quick, but they will run out of power higher up the range.

The Fiesta is a nice little car. Wouldn't choose one myself, and its testiment to the fact Ford are building some better cars now. Let the baby have its candy. In real world applications I'd be surprised if the average Ford driver could emulate Tiffs efforts in the bendy stuff and when it comes to the straights :wave:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.