Legal advice & opinions please. Will never buy a Seat again. RESOLVED.

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
The skin flakes suggestion was insulting. And when he then said the problem was that I had used an a/c system cleaner, so it could now be that coming out of the vents, he did not believe I had been advised to do it by Seat, he pretty much called me a liar over the phone.

Thankfully I had the email still that I forwarded to him.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

R53Winny

Apr 11, 2022
If sold as having a full service history and it doesn't, then this is a misleading action falling foul of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (criminal).

You should have exercised your short-term time to reject under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (civil) , you can still ask for a refund now and the fault is deemed to have been there since purchase unless you dealer and prove otherwise.

Good luck

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
If sold as having a full service history and it doesn't, then this is a misleading action falling foul of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (criminal).

You should have exercised your short-term time to reject under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (civil) , you can still ask for a refund now and the fault is deemed to have been there since purchase unless you dealer and prove otherwise.

Good luck
It was sold as having FSH, and it does, but some have been done by an independent garage. That is where the first dealer was trying to imply the warranty is not valid, because it isn't full Seat service history.

I have asked for a refund, that is exactly what I am trying to do, return the car. But funnily enough, they don't want to just take a faulty car back and give me my money back. Hence why it is back at a different dealership (the 3rd one), so they can apparently this time find the fault. I have had the car for 4 months now, and for almost a whole month of that, it has been at Seat dealerships. And they achieved absolutely nothing.

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
Just another update on this for those following, or anyone with similar problems in the future.

I have been without my car for a month now. In this time, the garage have not contacted me once. I rang last week for an update, was told they were expecting 'a part' to arrive this week, but the lady taking the call didn't know which part. Rang them again today before 5, to be told all the technicians had gone home, and she doesn't know what state my car is in.

So it seems the 3rd Seat garage have found something is faulty, but they can't tell me what it is, when the part will arrive, or when I will get my car back.

For anyone reading this that is considering purchasing a Seat, all I can say is (from my experience) don't do it. Mine was an approved used purchase and has a 2 year approved warranty, but this means naff all if no garages are willing to do warranty work on your car. And the customer service has just been disgusting.

Last edited:

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
What a joke, if you spoke to someone at the service dept they should be able to access the job card with all details of work so far carried out, techs comments, any parts required and expected delivery of parts, good luck keep us informed.

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
Final update.... The issue has now been resolved.

I have the car back and it appears to be fully repaired. The replaced part was the air conditioning evaporator core. It took them 5 weeks to carry out the repair, and when the technician finally got to the evaporator, it was covered in white corrosion.

My lesson from this, if you buy a car and suspect a serious fault, get it looked at or return it within 30 days of purchase. Also, don't get fobbed off. I have been complaining about the problem since September, and it only got fixed in December.

The first garage I took it to refused to fix it, and told me I could be liable for costs in the £1000's. The second garage had it for 2 weeks, said they checked the evaporator, and there was no fault found. They also broke my door handle. The third garage have somewhat restored my faith in Seat. They collected the car, gave me an almost new Formentor courtesy car, and fixed the evaporator fault and the door handle. They also dropped my car off and took away the Formentor.

So in 5 months of ownership, I didn't have the car for a total of 7 weeks. 1 dealer refused to fix it, 1 lied to my face. I have had to battle to have it fixed, been told it couldn't possibly be the evaporator, must be skin flakes or the a/c cleaner I used etc. Many emails and phone calls I made got no reply or call back. For my troubles, I have been given a £300 voucher I can spend on Seat accessories.

Will I purchase another Seat? Probably not. Which is a shame as I was already pricing up Cupra Ateca's when this started. I plan to keep this Ateca for a while, but I will never be taking it to a Seat garage for work. And if it ever needs warranty work again, my local dealer was the first to turn me away!