Leon crap in snowy weather

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
Is there a thread for winter tyres? Been thinking of getting the fronts done now winters finally here but have no idea whats good or not.
Used Nokian for the last 7 years & been pleased with their performance & reasonable price. 225/45-17 on a 2nd set of after market 5-spoke Dezent alloys that cost £475 with bolts, centre caps & delivery.

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
I have used conti winters great in the snow but did find that do like to egg in tyre walls
Also used yokos again great in snow and have had no issues have them on wife’s car all year round just swap from front to rear after the cold spell
Also had landsails and devanti also good in snow
I have some jinu also great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
On my previous DD, (an all-indie sprung 1.6 FWD automatic saloon) I had dedicated summer alloy and winter steel wheel sets and
that worked a treat for many years. As already mentioned, the winter tyres were better performers in all conditions at below 6 degree
temperatures, although their increased rolling resistance did hamper fuel economy to the tune of around 3%, but that was a fair
trade-off for me.

Great as this method had proved itself, a new DD Golf in late 2019 and a change in circumstances, (exaggerated by the COVID crisis)
put a stop to my regular long journeys to colder/snowier parts of the country. Different PCD/fitment of winter wheels and the need
to change them over twice a year, combined with very rare bouts of snow here on the sunny south coast meant that dedicated winter
wheels became a less attractive and useful option for me anyway.

The recent developments in All-Season tyres, with Michelin's Cross-Climates getting a lot of rave reviews grabbed my attention, so I
decided to try a suitable set of All-Seasons, ('good dry handling' Vredestein Q5's in my case) on lighter/wider new rims, rather than
the grippy summer PS4S's that I had initially planned on.

So far, so good, the warm day/dry road grip of the Q5's seems a match for the same-size Michelin fuel savers they replaced and what
little steering feel there is remains about the same. They've not been tested in real snow yet, but colder temp performance seems
good and they have dragged me out of a couple of muddy fields in quite impressive fashion, so overall I'd recommend them as an easy,
cost-effective and most useful tyre solution for many people.

Fishbowlhead

Mk3 CupraST 280
Nov 20, 2020
Turns out Michelin's Cross-Climates are not available in 19’s, so back to the drawing board for some all season tyres for the winter.

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
A quick search revealed that well-rated Vredestein Quatrac Pro All-Seasons are available in 11 different 19" sizes for around £123-£156 per corner fitted, (depending on which outlet you choose and the exact size/rating required of course.)

The Quatrac 'Pro' seems to be gradually replacing the Q5's that I have, at least in the larger sizes - I'd assume a further improvement given it's a newer design.

Michelin's 'best' CrossClimate, (the 'Plus' version) is listed as being available in 5 different 19" sizes, but are priced from £174 per corner upwards, or about 40% more expensive. There's little chance of them being 40% better-performing tyres, (if much at all) but that won't be a major consideration for everyone.

As always, it's buyer's preference and other perfectly good 19" All-Season tyres from various makers are also available, e.t.c....

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.