Leon Cupra 290 DSG - 2019 (run in period)

CovFC87

Mar 29, 2019
Why don't those advocating thrashing new engines do some research? Find out why the manufacturer doesn't want high cylinder pressures on new rings, and why they do not want the engine run at consistent high rpm.
If you do, you might not spread BS info to people who want accurate answers to their questions.
Is it total BS then? Is any one way better than any other? Or should I just drive normally? I'm not planning on taking it to a track as soon as I get it. I'll be driving to work, pick my kids up, take a trip up the motorway to see family. Should I just drive how I normally would if it was my old MK2 that had done 198k miles?

Sent from my Razer using Tapatalk

KernelOkey

Dec 18, 2018
A couple big tuners that focus on MQB cars in Sweden agree with that article. The harder you run the car the more power it will make. If you run it in like a granny it will not perform as good. Maybe it will last longer after but most dosent keep the car that long anyway

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I was just posting a link I had found when searching myself, it states to vary RPM using pulls (not consistent motorway 4k RPM) - please let us know though why they don't want high cylinder pressures etc if you could that would be really helpful and another opinion to consider?
Thanks in advance LouG :cheers:
Excessive cyl pressures = high boost puts extra stress on rings which have not bedded in properly and causes premature wear. This'll show up in greater oil use/lower compression in higher mileage engines.
Rings are chamfered and bores honed to assist proper bed in while running according to manufacturers instructions. Babying an engine can cause bore glazing and poor ring sealing as well.
The manual is your friend.

Reactions: seatgraham

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
A couple big tuners that focus on MQB cars in Sweden agree with that article. The harder you run the car the more power it will make. If you run it in like a granny it will not perform as good. Maybe it will last longer after but most dosent keep the car that long anyway
That has never been proven. I've seen dyno tests on bike engines that don't vary significantly in power output between hard break in and by the book.
Race engine builders do hard break ins because they don't have time to run engines for 1000km, They have race meetings to be ready for and they don't worry about premature wear because they rebuild engines regularly. I have seen a new engine torn down after a hard break in and it showed 30% greater ring wear than the same type of engine run in properly.
But, do what you want. Every internet warrior knows more about engine design than the people who designed and built it to last, and give a 3/5 year warranty against failure.
Just post your vehicle reg so people know to avoid your car.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
I know a lease car delivery driver. He says they do many hundreds of miles a week and their livelihood depends on their ability to drive. They are careful with the cars they deliver and rarely if ever speed, even if it is very tempting.
My lease cars have always had a few hundred miles on them when they get to me (the joys of being in Devon), so a decent amount of any run in is already done.

bigup

Mar 25, 2019
Manchester
I know a lease car delivery driver. He says they do many hundreds of miles a week and their livelihood depends on their ability to drive. They are careful with the cars they deliver and rarely if ever speed, even if it is very tempting.
My lease cars have always had a few hundred miles on them when they get to me (the joys of being in Devon), so a decent amount of any run in is already done.
My delivery guy drove 150 miles to me in Cupra mode lol

No wonder he says the car was a little pokey!

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
It may well have been, but that wont hurt it unless he actually hoofed it the whole way.

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
So having read this I’m still what does the manual say to do ? I’m still waiting for delivery of mine so want to be prepared.
I will be keeping the car so want overall best outcome for longevity:)

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
So having read this I’m still what does the manual say to do ? I’m still waiting for delivery of mine so want to be prepared.
I will be keeping the car so want overall best outcome for longevity:)
Follow the manual, read it when you get the car, drive it normally avoiding more than 4000 rpm and avoiding high engine loads at low rpm.
From memory you're allowed higher rpm after 800 - 1000km's.

Last edited:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Put good fuel in it...oh wait..actually for Cupra, you should only put good fuel in it anyway, eg...Vpower or Momentum 99 (not sure if it's as 'complete' a fuel as the Shell). Don't use more than mid throttle, vary the revs...even up to 3-4k rpm. This would be very difficult with a Cupra, I know.. After 1k miles...you can really do what you want, once it's up to temperature...

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members