Leon Cupra 290 DSG - 2019 (run in period)

KKaybe

Apr 15, 2019
Hi all,

I will be picking up my Cupra on Friday and i'm just wondering what sort of run in period i should give it?

I asked the sales guy and he said there isn't a run in period on these newer engines, so was wondering what everyone elses thoughts on that are?

Ryosaurus26

Oct 25, 2018
Hi all,

I will be picking up my Cupra on Friday and i'm just wondering what sort of run in period i should give it?

I asked the sales guy and he said there isn't a run in period on these newer engines, so was wondering what everyone elses thoughts on that are?

If you’re going to own it at any stage then I’d be inclined to take it fairly easy for the first couple hundred miles; if you won’t own the car at any stage, just go for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Owned my 280 for 4 years from new, I let the engine warm up by driving it off turbo for about 5 mins (basically till oil was upto temp) and then drove it as it was intended to be driven.

Reactions: louiskopite

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I decided on all new cars I would collect myself, eg...with only 8-12 miles on the clock. Not a cupra, but I took it easy for first 500 miles, taking it up to 3k several times engine speeds on braking and accelerating, using only half throttle. After 500 miles I took it too just under 5k rpms...perhaps 3/4 throttle, after 1k miles, i didn't second thought taking it up to redline on full throttle. Engine seems to losen up and gave better mpg around or just before the 2000mile mark. This is my experience...

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
I think that generally the SEAT manuals recommend that you don't exceed 2/3 permissible RPM for the first 600 miles and then gently stretch that limit until you get to 1000 miles. It surprises me that the dealers don't seem to know this (or simply don't care). I was told the same thing when I brought my Leon and only found out later when I bothered reading the manual. This time I checked the manual before getting overenthusiastic.

Reactions: LouG

Carbonara

Aug 19, 2018
I ran mine mainly in Eco/Highway while running in (and always before my wife uses it). Now I generally start with that until oil is at 80 degC and then enjoy the other modes. On reaching my village I tend to drop it back into Eco/Highway to cool down

I was concerned when I collected my car at handover it was already in Cupra mode with 12 miles on, but it's not so new and precious now.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Why don't those advocating thrashing new engines do some research? Find out why the manufacturer doesn't want high cylinder pressures on new rings, and why they do not want the engine run at consistent high rpm.
If you do, you might not spread BS info to people who want accurate answers to their questions.

JR19

Apr 2, 2019
Why don't those advocating thrashing new engines do some research? Find out why the manufacturer doesn't want high cylinder pressures on new rings, and why they do not want the engine run at consistent high rpm.
If you do, you might not spread BS info to people who want accurate answers to their questions.
I was just posting a link I had found when searching myself, it states to vary RPM using pulls (not consistent motorway 4k RPM) - please let us know though why they don't want high cylinder pressures etc if you could that would be really helpful and another opinion to consider?
Thanks in advance LouG :cheers:

A9BNL

Mar 6, 2019
yes being flexible is what counts, not driving at the same revs for a long period of time with a new engine for the first few hundred miles at least. As long as its not being red lined then in my book its not being thrashed given the type of car/engine.

Reactions: louiskopite

A9BNL

Mar 6, 2019
I feel that it is also easier to manage the process with it being a DSG as long as the launch control feature isn't used :scary:

Reactions: Danbartlett46
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise