Leon FAQ/Guide - Work in Progress

andyb

Admin -SCN Canada:)
Aug 29, 2001
Vancouver
www.andyblackmoredesign.com
Similar to the import one i did for the main site?

I'm doing a "history of SEAT" doc at the moment and just done something else, which you'll be seeing soon, but I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a Leon (inc Cupra R) doc with things like back seat squeaking, Pollen filter leak, Air con not working under 3degree etc.

Anyone interested. I'm quite happy to give someone a hand, just dont have the time at the moment to dedicate this 100%

*UPDATE*
A work in progress FAQ now exists, scroll down for the link and feel free to add any comments, will soon update it with the latest issues this month. Last updated 12/2/03

:cheers:

http://www.seatcupra.net/knowledge_base/knowledge_base/seat_leon_faq.html

Last edited by a moderator:

mark sheerin

DUNLOP academy wanabee
May 26, 2002
www.fastalarms.co.uk
I'll start the ball rolling with a known faults thread but I don't know if I'll be able to do the thing myself as I dont have word.

look for a thread entitled Known SEAT faults...

andyb

Aug 29, 2001
Vancouver
thanks mark, I'll add that when I get to that post. I've started from the beginning and currently on June 2002, so getting there.

A couple of the "R" boys are helping with their specifics, so i've posted a wip doc up. Not finished etc, and sure there are plenty of mistakes. so please let me know your views etc.

http://www.seatcupra.net/users/andyb/leonFAQ.htm

Once its finished, I'll do the same as the Importing one and leave it up on the boards (or on its own web page) for people to read and comment on for a while before the final one gets posted on the main website,

I dont know much about different wheels, chips or exhausts so if anyone has any info suitable for the guide then drop me an email.

andy

andyb

Aug 29, 2001
Vancouver
I've finished searching thru the Leon forum last week (so I know a couple of topics have arisen since, which I'll add in) so I've updated the web page with the latest document.

Mark- I seem to have missed your topic (although I have read it b4), so I'll add then when I do the Cupra R and TDi sections.

any mistakes,comments, email me

Sorry the links seem to have been lost copying from Word to the webpackage :(

http://www.seatcupra.net/users/andyb/leonFAQ.htm

petros

Sep 3, 2001
Chania- Greece
Visit site
Hi andy.

I think that the Leon FAQ is very helpfull specialy for the new Leon owners. I think that you could add some info about the Leon 20VT 4. I know that the specific model is not imported in U.K. but it does in many other countrys. If you can't find any info about it i might could help.

Keep on the good work.

Petros

petros

Sep 3, 2001
Chania- Greece
Visit site
The 4 weel drive version of the 20vt Leon engine cost about 2000 pounds (3100 Euro) more than the front weel model. Same horse power (180hp) but 130kg (1460kg) more becouse of the Haldex so less max speed 224km/h than 229km/h for the front weel version.
Also you need about 1 liter of petrol, more for every 100km and that is why the rezervoir fill with 60L (55L for the front weel version). The bagadge compartment is 130Lt less(270Lt) and the spare weel is a small one, all these becouse the Haldex.. Another defference is that the rear break disc are 256mm ventilated (232mm and not ventilated for the normal 20vt4)

I think these details are enough for the Leon faq.

mik

irregular participant
Jun 26, 2001
Glasgow UK
Visit site
Bl00dy hell Andy! :eek:

Just had a look at this and there is loads there. Well done that man! :thumbsup:

Couple of bits to add:-

Bit about "Black" is almost spot-on, but in-between Space Black (pearl) and Black Magic (Metallic), Ebony (solid colour) was the only black on offer.

This was a temporary situation ~ only used for approx 6 weeks around (build date) Nov '01. With such exclusivity, owners of Ebony Black MY02 cars are revered as demi-gods and all round duuudes ;)

Ebony was later adopted as a CupraR "exclusive" colour, as it's so spanky. :p

Additional to Service indicator comments ~ instructions on DIY reset shown here
UK cars always call for service early as counter is based on conversion from (euro) 15000km interval as opposed to (uk) 10000miles.

Additional to Instrument Lighting.
When dimmer rheostat "pops" only main binacle and stereo (!) lights remain on, but at full (and un-dimmable) brightness. Climate, window and other minor control lights dissapear. Easily fixed - light switch & dimmer unit on dash requires replacement. common fault with 2001 and early 2002 cars.

That's it ~ not flippin' bad when you consider how much info you've got there ~ congrats again.

mik

irregular participant
Jun 26, 2001
Glasgow UK
Visit site
oops - your thread in the "R" forum just reminded me.

Climate compressor will not activate at low temps as a safety measure ~ ice forming inside compressor is not a good thing.

Compressor will become diabled if:-
1. Temp drops below 1.5 degrees whilst you are driving.
2. Temp is less than 3.5degrees when you start the car. (This is due to the temperature sensor requiring a couple of miles to read correctly - extra margin built in to ensure it compressor doesn't ice up during this period.

Once dissabled, compressor will not become available 'til ambient temp rises above 3.5 degrees again.

:)

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
Hi Andy

Nice document just a couple of points!:D

To change the fog lamp bulb on the 03 Cupras you have to undo a small philips screw between the fog lamp and the bumper and then pull the trim off otherwise bits can snap! heheh it was a close call that I saw them!

Its not exactly a space saver spare wheel on the new cupras the tyres on the car are 225 45 R 17 and the spare is a 205 50 R 16 which is the same size as the main wheels and spare on the 02 Cupra (well it was on mine!) So not sure on if that is classed as a space saver? Thought they were the real skinny 105 width things:D

Cruise control is now a factory fit option! I think it was 160 quid or so Kev from Great Covert told me;)

03 Cupra has a two tone horn which I'm sure pete (ICEMAN) will agree is much better than the 02 horn!

03 cupra also has an alarm siren instead of a horn. So u get a woowoo instead of a barpbarp not sure if this is an upgrade in security rating possibly to a battery backed siren??

Thats about all I can think of at the mo;)

Lookin gud keeep at it!:D

m

Jubjubbird

May 8, 2002
Bedford
Originally posted by .:matt:.
03 cupra also has an alarm siren instead of a horn. So u get a woowoo instead of a barpbarp not sure if this is an upgrade in security rating possibly to a battery backed siren??

Mine is a horn:confused:

cmc

ohhhhh yes.
Sep 13, 2002
Glasgow
Visit site
Andyb

Is there anyway we can have some kind of poll or statistical table type analyses on the coil failures for the forum?

What I mean I suppose is could we ask questions like.
- Do you have a Cupra/R?
- What mileage have you done?
- If so what year/ date of registration was your car - Nov 01MY02/ Aug 02MY03 etc
- Have one or more coils failed? - yes/no

That way we begin to get a picture whether coil failures have occurred on MY03 as well as MY02's and if so whether they are early models or late models etc and roughly how many of MY02's/MY03's have failed so far of the people who have these cars.

From reading the posts it would appear that the problem is confined to the coil parts marked 'H'. But what I'm wondering is that are all the 'H' type parts knackered or is it just a faulty bath of the 'H' parts and is it dependent on mileage done etc.

I guess I'm just wondering whether the data will produce some sort of common them to the failures.

What do you/ everyone else think of this idea?

cmc