Leon FR SC 1.8 DSG - First Pic

mklock

Go Racers GO
Apr 1, 2004
Stevenage
Hi All,

I am please to report that my New Leon FR SC 1.8 tsi DSG has arrived. (Ordered April)

I will try to add a proper review but thought id post a Pic

1119890_10151497057011735_2121023827_o.jpg

Mike

Last edited:

Chester

MPG racer
Mar 25, 2002
Peterborough
This very well might be my next car/engine/gearbox, so looking forward to your on-going review/ownership.

First off though, what made you switch from diesel to petrol? My reasons are the costs are around the same as what I have now, and hopefully the petrol engine will be more exciting but I'm wondering how much I'll miss the torque. No soot which after watching the last edition of Bang Goes the Theory is a big objective to me.

mklock

Go Racers GO
Apr 1, 2004
Stevenage
This very well might be my next car/engine/gearbox, so looking forward to your on-going review/ownership.

First off though, what made you switch from diesel to petrol? My reasons are the costs are around the same as what I have now, and hopefully the petrol engine will be more exciting but I'm wondering how much I'll miss the torque. No soot which after watching the last edition of Bang Goes the Theory is a big objective to me.

So far, from a very limited drive, its responsive. I was worried about the torque myself. I wont really comment too much yet as i don't feel i have had enough of a good run to really compare. I switched from Diesel for overall smoothness of the drive, and having driven my friends MR2 recently i liked hitting the higher revs, plus like you i looked at the mpg figures and worked out that the petrol figures were comparable.
The dash this morning told me i averaged 40mpg. In the my Diesel FR i averaged between 42-48 (mostly 42mpg) so that so far is a good start.

gar074

How do you find the throttle response? I thought it was a bit tardy compared to the 1.4 TSi I drove it back-to-back with (although interestingly, having zeroed the trip computer before both test-drives, the mpg for the 1.4 and 1.8 were very similar - both did 34 mpg, which wasn't bad given the route and the extensive use of the loud pedal...)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashworth

Feb 2, 2010
Nottinghamshire
I've had my 1.8 Tsi FR for 6 weeks now although mine is the 5 door and manual. I previously had a 170 CR TDi and changed to petrol mainly because my mileage is fairly low and I do lots of short journeys. Also I thought it could be more fun to drive.
I'm not disappointed. I'm finding it smooth to drive far and more responsive especially at lower speeds. Torque not quite as good especially in 6th gear but quite good in 4th and 5th. Currently finding it really responsive and fun to drive on winding hilly roads whilst on holiday in Scotland. Getting between 35 and 40 mpg with mixed driving. Got 48 mpg on long motorway journey with cruise control set at 70 so not bad for 1.8 petrol engine. It really does seem much faster and much more fun to drive with speeds up to approx 50 mph.

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
I'm really looking forward to the switch back to petrol myself. Sure, on the motorway the TDI was a magnificent machine but since my commute has become a 12 mile round trip crawl, the turbo threw it's toys out the pram so now it's a real bore.

My test drive surprised me - yes, the throttle response was poor at low revs however I believe that's probably my right foot being used to the TDI, I'm sure I'd soon adjust.

I too was concerned about the torque figures however I found it unassumingly quick - punch it and I was at 70 before I realised - the torque curve is flat from around 1500RPM to 3900RPM where from 4000RPM the Peak power takes over so it doesn't surge forward like a TDI but it makes it without you feeling it. Almost more of a pleasant progress if you don't always want to be thrown back into your seat.

Some of the user-quoted consumption figures are great to hear too, especially for engines which may still be "tight" from the factory!

Ashworth

Feb 2, 2010
Nottinghamshire
48mpg is pretty impressive @ 70mph, I get about 53 @ 70 in my MK2 FR TDI!

That was on a 2 hour journey up the A1 from Nottinghamshire up to County Durham which of course is a very flat road with almost no hills. I do, however find the 1.8 quite thirsty on journeys where you are having to heavily accelerate such as up steep hills, lots of stop start driving or on narrow winding country roads where you have to keep slowing down for bends.
It's great fun to drive and as I seem to be averaging around 37 mpg I'm not too worried. I used to get about 53 at 70 in my mk2 TDi and about 45 for mixed driving but I much prefer the 1.8 TSi. I don't think Id have one if I lived where I'm currently on holiday in the Outer Hebrides. Filled up the other day and standard unleaded was 156p a litre!

How are others finding the 1.8 Tsi? I don't just mean mpg but how people are getting on with driving them. As I've said I love mine.

Last edited:

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
That was on a 2 hour journey up the A1 from Nottinghamshire up to County Durham which of course is a very flat road with almost no hills. I do, however find the 1.8 quite thirsty on journeys where you are having to heavily accelerate such as up steep hills, lots of stop start driving or on narrow winding country roads where you have to keep slowing down for bends.
It's great fun to drive and as I seem to be averaging around 37 mpg I'm not too worried. I used to get about 53 at 70 in my mk2 TDi and about 45 for mixed driving but I much prefer the 1.8 TSi. I don't think Id have one if I lived where I'm currently on holiday in the Outer Hebrides. Filled up the other day and standard unleaded was 156p a litre!

How are others finding the 1.8 Tsi? I don't just mean mpg but how people are getting on with driving them. As I've said I love mine.

Thats great to hear, I've been keeping an eye on the MK3 forums. Might make the hop to a MK3 Cupra when they are released.

With that said, I'm currently doing 83miles a day (Minimum) to and fro work.
Diesels the only real option for me at the moment, Had a MK1 LCR before... Expensivo.

36mpg if I granny drived at 60mph!

I'm thinking DSG for the next one, I hear nothing but good things these days.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Considering a look at the SC FR 1.8TSI DSG myself, looks like a good package to run in the short term at least while we wait for specs on the next Cupra.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
When i was at Media day i loved the SC 1.8TSI DSG, even over the 2.0 184ps that i said was my favourite previously

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
Really nice looking car indeed! I am waiting for exactly the same Emocion Red SC FR with the standard 17" wheels and was worried that these wheels don't look good on the car and would probably upgrade to the 18" but looking at your picture I realize they grow on me and I would probably keep them. Roads in Bulgaria are awful anyway, so the smaller the wheels the better. Could you post few more pics from the side? Hope I am not wrong, this is the Emocion Red, isn't it? I am wondering how the ride on 17" is compared to 18". I test drove the 18" only and noticed it was a better and softer ride than my current mk2 on 16", so I guess the 17 are even better.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members