Leon FR tow bar fitting guide

SimonR

I took the plunge and ordered a tow bar for the car the other day, even though the manufacturers couldn't guarantee it would fit the FR!

Today I put fitted it, and I had the camera handy in the garage so I've put together a web page for the steps I took - it may be of use to someone.

http://www.simonranson.com/SeatLeonFR_towbar.htm

Cheers

Simon

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Top job Si...

Looks good, and like you say you can hardly tell with the tow hitch removed!

Which tow bar is that /where from/how much ?

SimonR

Cheers, it was good to get my hands dirty again!

It's a Witter bar with their Quantum removable tow hitch, it isn't the cheapest thing in the world the bar was about £260 all in, plus another £10 for the electrical kit. I got it from tow bars direct, next day delivery from them too.

I'm pleased with how its gone, and the bumper cut can hardly be seen. I was very careful removing the chunk of bumper so I'll use this bit to make a cover for it.

Cheers

Simon

SimonR

I'll do a measure-up for you tomorrow when I can get the car onto some level ground.

From memory the top of the cut is right on the centerline of the the exhaust pipes.

Simon

SimonR

Phil,

The top of the bumper cut is 255mm off the floor. Making the cut 10mm bigger, as I may do, will only make it 260mm from the floor due to the curve in the bumper.

Simon

Steve H

Neat job, I took the lazy option and got my dealer to fit mine. £220 all in. I never went for the detached bar as my clamp for my bike rack sits on the ball of the tow bar and is a pain in to remove so I just leave it on. Dont think I'll ever use the tow bar to do any towing if I can help it.

SimonR

I've just got back from dragging a car down to a sprint in France - all the bolts are still tight :) .

I was very impressed with how the car went. two-up, with a car on the trailer I did 550 miles and averaged 45 mph and 37 mpg. On some of the hills it was other cars holding me up, not just the :censored: caravans and lorrys!

Simon

SimonR

I didn't want the electrics hanging down at the back so I cabled it through and put the socket in the off-side wheel arch, you can just see the back of the socket here:

http://www.simonranson.com/graphics/IMG_3358.JPG

I made up a 1m long entension cable for the electrics so I can connect the trailer electrics to the car.

Simon

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.