Leon or Ateca

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
Been a hatchback owner so far but now looking at the Ateca as an alternative. Never considered before but with delay on 2021 Leon been looking around.at other reviews
Same performance with 4w drive appeals. Maybe not so good in twisty roads but do I need that.
Wondered if anyone else had made transition. Any thoughts

Reactions: pburv

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
I'm sure someone else as done the switch from a CUPRA Leon to CUPRA Ateca. I've driven the recent ones as you'll have seen in the reviews and the Wife's car is an Ateca FR. It all for me comes down to the handling as you say in the twisties. If you're not bothered then you'll love the 4WD and the 300HP. I can't remember have you test driven an Ateca yet? Also Letchworth have a pre facelift fully loaded Ateca with 4K off in stock - check out the link our Facebook page.

Reactions: Oldboy racer

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
I'm sure someone else as done the switch from a CUPRA Leon to CUPRA Ateca. I've driven the recent ones as you'll have seen in the reviews and the Wife's car is an Ateca FR. It all for me comes down to the handling as you say in the twisties. If you're not bothered then you'll love the 4WD and the 300HP. I can't remember have you test driven an Ateca yet? Also Letchworth have a pre facelift fully loaded Ateca with 4K off in stock - check out the link our Facebook page.
Thanks for comments. Yes need to try test drive as just started to consider the Ateca. Thinking 4wd can compensate for disadvantage of lean on corners. Fed up with wheel judder on current Leon when powering out of corners. Not interested in the ST
I will have to do some calculations as lease is extended to Jul21 and not sure if any discount on early settlement of contract balanced against a tempting discount.
Does the pre facelift lose out on a lot though?

Tell

Staff member
I'd think about the backache of a Leon. Some people age gracefully with their cars others don't. I need the high seats :love:. Think if you suffer from back pain you wouldn't be throwing a car around in any case.

Well the 4wd TDI 2016 sticks to the road and takes long journeys in its stride. Happy to cruise on autobahns at 100 mph. Could be the weight of the car that gives you the sticking sensation.

Must say the Cupra seats look attractive for comfort. The Xcellence standard Seats don't bucket as much as the Altea sports ones do. They do hold you it, don't roll around on them although it took a while for the leather to give way so you end up in the bucket.

Given the way Seat sells it's cars now I'd have to go up to a Cupra Ateca to get all the features I got now which were options in 2016.

Tell

Staff member
That crossed my mind. I dont know what the seating height is for that or whether it's like the Arona to the Ibiza, a mock SUV but without the seating height. That's a tape measure job for someone in the market. My big criteria is seat comfort which I know I won't get with a Leon which you get with an Ateca for those suffering from sciatica, back pain etc. Formentor is a crossover rather than an SUV.

Ps currently in agony :censored:. You need effective upright office seating if you suffer, not down on your knees saloon style.

Zephyr

Just send it!
Dec 28, 2020
Madrid (SPAIN)
I come from an Altea (and before a Golf IV R32) so liked the extra headroom on the Formentor compared to Leon and the more upright seating position. I'm 5ft 9" high and felt really at home testing the Formentor back seats too, headspace was nice (Don't get it wrong: Ateca is way bigger and bulkier) and leg space was really ample too.

Formentor wheelbase is longer than Leon (and if I'm not wrong, Ateca has the same or almost but more capacity due to their bigger (and bulkier) body figure. Best you can do is to check if Formentor appeals to what you want and compared to Ateca, lease cost shouldn't be way different.

pburv

Jan 18, 2015
I came from 4 years ownership of an Audi S3 Saloon to a Cupra Ateca. I can tell you that the comfort combined with performance has made it the best choice I have made. If you can?(Covid regs an all that) take one for a test drive. At the very least go and look at one in the showroom. My younger brother bought a Leon Cupra at the same time as me and he tells me he wished he had gone for the Ateca.(y)

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
I came from 4 years ownership of an Audi S3 Saloon to a Cupra Ateca. I can tell you that the comfort combined with performance has made it the best choice I have made. If you can?(Covid regs an all that) take one for a test drive. At the very least go and look at one in the showroom. My younger brother bought a Leon Cupra at the same time as me and he tells me he wished he had gone for the Ateca.(y)

Thanks for that reassurance
More or less convinced and have booked a test drive for February when covid allows. Intend to firm up on a deal.

Reactions: pburv

pburv

Jan 18, 2015
Thanks for that reassurance
More or less convinced and have booked a test drive for February when covid allows. Intend to firm up on a deal.
You won't know for sure until you do go for a drive. I'm guessing though you won't be disappointed.
Good luck:)