Leon or Toledo?

Greegiecee

Loving my SEATs
Oct 9, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
I have just bought a Leon Cupra last week after selling my French junk. I love it! It's the 1.8T 180bhp, feels really good. But now I am faced with a dilemma. A family friend has a 2000 Toledo 1.9TDi up for sale. I know the car because they are friends and have had it from new. Any Toledo owners made the change from the Cupra to the Diesel Toledo with some opinions. I would have to sell my Cupra which would break my heart but the Diesel would be more practical given I use the car for commuting. Thoughts please

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
In terms of performance, you're going to be losing a lot. I reckon the 1.9TDI as standard is about half the power of the 1.8? But the torque will still be there so it won't be a total slowcoach.

In terms of handling, you won't notice much difference. The boot doesn't add that much to the weight of the car, and in fact the saloon body is slightly stiffer than the hatch.

I think it's a case of head over heart?

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
It terms of fuel economy it'll be practical, but the Toledo loses out in nearly every other aspect :(

The boot's massive ...but you can't get anything big in it

does a TDi have cruise control ? I know the petrol SE does, which some Leon's didn't get

Dox1966

Jul 13, 2007
You can retro fit cruise to drive by wire cars anyway, kits are £70 on ebay and a session with VAGCOM on top to enable it

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
The boot's massive ...but you can't get anything big in it

It's not as convenient as the hatchback for sure, but I wouldn't consider it completely useless. :)

With regards to cruise control, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It isn't meant to be the best for fuel economy anyway, sure it keeps the speed constant but you should see the economy drop through the floor whenever there's a hill. A human might simply keep the throttle where it is and accept a 5mph drop in speed, cruise control just chucks more fuel in.

The other thing is that you should be getting a fair bit of cash left over from the 1.8, Toledo's just don't hold anywhere near the same value as a Leon.

Dox1966

Jul 13, 2007
Touché ;)

...you could buy a couple of tanks of petrol with that money though

I'd like to know where from, petrol is 135 per litre here and my tank holds 50+ litres.

I've got a switch if you feel adventurous with the wiring?

Greegiecee

Loving my SEATs
Oct 9, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Thanks everyone, some good points. I bought the Cupra because it has been well loved not necessarily for performace (althought I am loving that :D ). My big reason would be fuel economy. I do about 1300 miles a month so a 10mpg consumption difference would be huge. I have never had cruise control, certainly my Leon doesn't have it so probably wouldn't notice that. I love the hatch and overall size of the Leon but like Slimy said it may come down to head over heart. Dox1966, come to Scotland, I filled up on Saturday at £1.32 a litre :happy: Is the Toledo really that slow up hills? :blink: My last car was a crappy 1.6 Megane which was as slow as a dog so surely the TDi should have a but more get up and go?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Is the Toledo really that slow up hills? :blink: My last car was a crappy 1.6 Megane which was as slow as a dog so surely the TDi should have a but more get up and go?

Oh no, it's not slow, it will have no problem going up hill, my reference was to the fuel economy. The 50mpg you see on the flats will halve as you travel uphill if you use cruise control, a human driver could maintain better MPG by letting the speed drop a little.

But if you're not bothered about cruise control then it doesn't matter at all.

And mine is the same with regards to fuel, I'm expecting to be paying £100 a tank very soon. [:@]

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
A 2000 TDI Toledo could be 90, 110 or 130 BHp. Heavier than the Leon, but a stiffer shell so better handling from standard. The boot opening is narrower than a hatchback of course, but larger items can be got in through the back doors.

The Toledo was the top of the Seat range in 2000, and they generally come with a better interior than a similarly-aged Leon. SE trim has Climatronic, CD changer and cruise control as standard, for instance.

Fuel economy is excellent, always better than 40mpg around town and much better on longer journeys.

It's a respectable performer, and can hold its own on motorways, and indeed can outperform many cars away from the lights. More power at low revs, you see - this is usually described as "torque", but is in fact a byproduct of the diesel having its max power at lower revs than a petrol engine.

Looks better too :)

Last edited:

Greegiecee

Loving my SEATs
Oct 9, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Thanks Slimy I obviously misread that :) Muttley sounds like you have one of there ;) Doesn't actually sound as bad as I thought. The one our friends have which I have first dibbs on is a 2000 model but not sure if it is the SE or not. Lots of food for thought though :D

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
A 2000 TDI Toledo could be 90, 110 or 130 BHp. Heavier than the Leon, but a stiffer shell so better handling from standard.

From Parkers;

Toledo 1.9TDi SE 1271 KG
Leon 1.9TDI SE 1297 KG

I've always thought like you that the Toledo was heavier (my V5 seems to be the heaviest SEAT you can get!), but comparing the same engine size the Toledo is slightly lighter!

Of course, Parkers aren't renowned for their accuracy...

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Slimy wrote

From Parkers;

Toledo 1.9TDi SE 1271 KG
Leon 1.9TDI SE 1297 KG

I've always thought like you that the Toledo was heavier (my V5 seems to be the heaviest SEAT you can get!), but comparing the same engine size the Toledo is slightly lighter!

Of course, Parkers aren't renowned for their accuracy...

I'm not entirely surprised to see that, though I thought the advantage was only in the stiffness. Obviously the metalwork they had to throw in to stiffen up the shell enough to carry a hatchback ended up being heavier as well.

The Mk.2 Toledo came first, of course, and the Mk.1 Leon was created by chopping off the boot for a hatchback. Hence the Toledo shell is engineered as a whole, and there is a substantial crossmember forming the parcel shelf and boot roof between the rear suspension top mounts. This makes the rear end much stiffer than the basic Leon.

This may also be why the Toledo looks better than the Leon - it is a complete design, not something with a boot cut off. Not that the Leon looks bad, but I think the Toledo is better. The Toledo's shape is better aerodynamically, too, much less drag than the blunt hatchback

It was the Toledo and not the Leon that was the basis of the BTCC cars, for these reasons.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Greegiecee wrote

Muttley sounds like you have one of there ;)

'51 plate Toledo TDI 110 SE, yes. One previous owner, Seat UK, probably an Area Manager's car I'm told.

Doesn't actually sound as bad as I thought. The one our friends have which I have first dibbs on is a 2000 model but not sure if it is the SE or not. Lots of food for thought though :D

If it's a 90 BHp engine it will be uninspiring in performance, but not embarrassing, and excellent round town. The TDI 110 is better, of course :) The TDI 130, if it has full dealer service history, will be better still, but you really need the confirmation that it has been fed the right oil throughout its life.

Greegiecee

Loving my SEATs
Oct 9, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Well I did the deed. I bought it. So now I own a Cupra and a Toledo. It is the 110bhp version and is actually a better spec than the Cupra too! It is immaculate! It drives really nicely too. So if you know anyone who wants to buy my Cupra give me a shout - 2002, Mint condition, FSH including timing belt & water pump change, 86000 miles, all the usual Cupra extras, not abused, driven with love and care. I will miss it :( Especially the 6 speed box but I had to be practical. Great info from you guys so thanks a heap!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.