Leon sc 2013 fr audio conundrum

Daytones

May 12, 2020
Good Evening All hope all is well!

Got a audio related conundrum that for the life of me cannot figure out.

The scenario is this - I have upgrade from a Mib1 5.8 inch unit to Mib2 6.5 inch retrofit unit.

The problem is - my front door speakers are not working (was previously on an aftermarket stereo I had)

I have gone as far as this for my troubleshooting -

Taken my door card out on passenger side to check speaker - did a resistance check and got 4.4 ohms which I believe is normal as its a 4 ohm speaker.

Connected speaker to 9v battery which made it pulse like I would expect.

I have checked the continuity of the wires from the quadlock loom, which is where it gets interesting.

I have attached 2 photos to go with the statements of what I found,

So the continuity of the cables circled in green which is as far as i know due to forum reading is the front speakers is working correct get create continuity and connectivity...but no front speakers working.

The wires circled in red which again from reading forums I believe are the front tweeters do not give me an continuity with my multimeter whatsoever... however the front tweeters are working correctly.

I am pulling whats left of my hair out trying to figure out what is wrong, my car setup is the 8 speaker system so 2 pillar tweeters, 2 front door speakers, 2 rear speakers and 2 rear tweeters. all working except my front doors both sides.

if anyone has an inkling of what might be happening or what i can check would be so appreciative.

Attachments

• 118064319_757248334842106_9014347658415868389_n.jpg
    118064319_757248334842106_9014347658415868389_n.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 118014906_615951342302199_8889603608182360839_n.jpg
    118014906_615951342302199_8889603608182360839_n.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 136

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Good Evening All hope all is well!

Got a audio related conundrum that for the life of me cannot figure out.

The scenario is this - I have upgrade from a Mib1 5.8 inch unit to Mib2 6.5 inch retrofit unit.

The problem is - my front door speakers are not working (was previously on an aftermarket stereo I had)

I have gone as far as this for my troubleshooting -

Taken my door card out on passenger side to check speaker - did a resistance check and got 4.4 ohms which I believe is normal as its a 4 ohm speaker.

Connected speaker to 9v battery which made it pulse like I would expect.

I have checked the continuity of the wires from the quadlock loom, which is where it gets interesting.

I have attached 2 photos to go with the statements of what I found,

So the continuity of the cables circled in green which is as far as i know due to forum reading is the front speakers is working correct get create continuity and connectivity...but no front speakers working.

The wires circled in red which again from reading forums I believe are the front tweeters do not give me an continuity with my multimeter whatsoever... however the front tweeters are working correctly.

I am pulling whats left of my hair out trying to figure out what is wrong, my car setup is the 8 speaker system so 2 pillar tweeters, 2 front door speakers, 2 rear speakers and 2 rear tweeters. all working except my front doors both sides.

if anyone has an inkling of what might be happening or what i can check would be so appreciative.
You are correct with what you say the various wires connect to, my guess is that you either have a faulty MIB2 unit or the coding of the speaker outputs is incorrect. you could try connecting a spare speaker (even a home speaker would probably do) to pins 9 and 13 and then pins 10 and 14, while the quadlock is connected obviously, to see if there is any sound coming out.

Daytones

May 12, 2020
Thanks for the reply!

Trying to think what I might have at home that I could use to wire up as a speaker,

As for the mib unit, I ordered one off a retrofitter and originally there was a few things coded that weren't working such as err reversing sensors and Android auto having a fit and also no front speakers so I requested a replacement. this current unit now is a replacement too the first so I'm thinking the possibility of having two mib2 units both not having front speakers working is very unlucky?

Just still don't understand how the tweeters have no continuity but still work makes no logical sense.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Thanks for the reply!

Trying to think what I might have at home that I could use to wire up as a speaker,

As for the mib unit, I ordered one off a retrofitter and originally there was a few things coded that weren't working such as err reversing sensors and Android auto having a fit and also no front speakers so I requested a replacement. this current unit now is a replacement too the first so I'm thinking the possibility of having two mib2 units both not having front speakers working is very unlucky?

Just still don't understand how the tweeters have no continuity but still work makes no logical sense.
Have you checked that the MIB unit actually has pins 9,13 and 10,14 fitted as some units didn't have them?
Also have you tried reversing the probes when testing the tweeters just in case there is a polarity conscious capacitor on the speaker?

Daytones

May 12, 2020
Have you checked that the MIB unit actually has pins 9,13 and 10,14 fitted as some units didn't have them?
Also have you tried reversing the probes when testing the tweeters just in case there is a polarity conscious capacitor on the speaker?

Hey!

Yes the pins were checked and asked the retrofitter to check before sending me the replacement just incase they weren't on the one I had fitted at the time as didn't have access to remove it again

As for switching the probes around I think I did but can't fully remember but I am planning on re installing my mib1 unit tomorrow morning to test speakers and will try again with the probes and will update if find anything,

As far as we are aware it was coded specially for my vin number and states it's an 8rm system and its coded for 8rm not the seat sound or 6 speaker system.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Hey!

Yes the pins were checked and asked the retrofitter to check before sending me the replacement just incase they weren't on the one I had fitted at the time as didn't have access to remove it again

As for switching the probes around I think I did but can't fully remember but I am planning on re installing my mib1 unit tomorrow morning to test speakers and will try again with the probes and will update if find anything,

As far as we are aware it was coded specially for my vin number and states it's an 8rm system and its coded for 8rm not the seat sound or 6 speaker system.
I'm stumped then, be interesting to know if it works with your old unit. When testing the tweeters are you testing with the quadlock disconnected? Also using the correct pins, pin 2+ and pin 6-- for the R/H/F tweeter, pin 3+ and 7-- for the L/H/F tweeter.

Daytones

May 12, 2020
I'm stumped then, be interesting to know if it works with your old unit. When testing the tweeters are you testing with the quadlock disconnected? Also using the correct pins, pin 2+ and pin 6-- for the R/H/F tweeter, pin 3+ and 7-- for the L/H/F tweeter.

Crazy I know,

I did test with it disconnected not with it connected though, but as it were the mib1 unit works fine and have currently got this installed for now as sound over function currently... So pretty much the unit just doesn't like my car

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Crazy I know,

I did test with it disconnected not with it connected though, but as it were the mib1 unit works fine and have currently got this installed for now as sound over function currently... So pretty much the unit just doesn't like my car
Very strange indeed! Looks like it's back to the retrofitter.