Leon ST FR 184 opinions

Leeboy22001

Jun 19, 2002
Portsmouth
Visit site
I'm looking at getting a used Leon ST FR 184, are they any good ?, only thing I'm a bit put off by is the rear after having a mk 1 FR for 10 years !. I test drove the mk3 Octavia ST VRS, and loved it, but wasn't sure on the larger car size.

Jordjj

Sep 7, 2016
I picked up my 14 plate 184 yesterday and at the moment I'm in love. so Yeh Id say they are pretty good

dids

Apr 5, 2015
Stockport
Had my FR184 for 17 mouths,its a great car handles great, great engine fast and economical so you can have the best of both worlds.Not sure what you mean about the back end its no bigger than say a Golf or A3.

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
I know I'm biased because I own one, but I still say the ST is the best looking mk3. It just looks better proportioned to my eye. I've had mine nearly three years now and it still gets compliments from passers by. It's certainly one of the better looking estate cars on the market. Most look boxy, but the Leon ST manages to keep its curves. That's why the boot is marginally bigger on the Octavia.

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
I would still take a 5 door hatch over the estate for looks alone but the Leon ST FR is one of the best looking estates there is.

To be fair, gone are the days where estates are purely practical - they make much better Q cars ;)

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
Plus the extras on the ST make it worthwhile too.

Adjustable boot floor, the ability to fold the seats down at the pull of a handle, and the extra power socket for a start all come in very handy.

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
It is unbelievably dull looking, that's the only real flaw I can see to an ST.
I'd look at a 5dr and see if you can live with it first before you don your pipe and slippers for the estate....

Leeboy22001

Jun 19, 2002
Portsmouth
Visit site
Had a leon mk 1 for 10 years, and found the boot size limiting, especially having a family with two boys. I agree, the 5 door looks more appeasing than the ST. As mentioned above I test drove the Occy vrs estate, same engine, has a more traditional shape at the back, and really liked it, but it's just a bit too big. The ST is a bit of a compromise, have now gone for a used FR ST 184, has Tech and Titanium package, in jet black, 64 plate, 15k miles for £14,750. Not bad I reckon, also incudes seat servicing and remainder of warranty, just over a year. Will be sad to see my mk1 FR+ go though :-(.

seventen710

Jul 18, 2012
Hampshire
I bought an FR ST 184 about two weeks ago with a very similar spec.

I think it looks better in the flesh than in photos, the larger boot actually looks really good. In reality it's only 26cm longer (if I remember correctly, from the diagram in the manual) than the 5 door. My wife has an FR 5 door and when they are parked next to each other on the drive there is barely a noticeable difference in length. The roof bars are more obvious.

If you have the 18" wheels it will look superb!

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
Had a leon mk 1 for 10 years, and found the boot size limiting, especially having a family with two boys. I agree, the 5 door looks more appeasing than the ST. As mentioned above I test drove the Occy vrs estate, same engine, has a more traditional shape at the back, and really liked it, but it's just a bit too big. The ST is a bit of a compromise, have now gone for a used FR ST 184, has Tech and Titanium package, in jet black, 64 plate, 15k miles for £14,750. Not bad I reckon, also incudes seat servicing and remainder of warranty, just over a year. Will be sad to see my mk1 FR+ go though :-(.

that sounds like a great deal.
Worrying when I look at my 63 plate 30k miler....best-looking estate I've owned. Because it doesn't look too much like an estate.

R22 JGB

SEAT Leon FR184 DSG
Aug 29, 2010
Gateshead

Black!!! it will NEVERTHELESS be clean. I have just got rid of my Black Octavia Scout, it had marks on the paintwork as I drove out of the car wash!!! It was never clean and always showed marks.
Much happier with my white Leon FR184 DSG

seventen710

Jul 18, 2012
Hampshire
Sorry but I can't imagine how a white car would show dirt LESS than a black car?!

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
It is unbelievably dull looking, that's the only real flaw I can see to an ST.
I'd look at a 5dr and see if you can live with it first before you don your pipe and slippers for the estate....

Wouldn't go as far as to say it's dull or old people ish, 95% of it is the same as the 5 door version , not to mention its faster round the ring than the 5 door, with or without pipe and slippers in Cupra version :D

Reactions: seatgraham

Leeboy22001

Jun 19, 2002
Portsmouth
Visit site
Dilemma, can get 65 plate, in grey, MY16 for £1250 more, with 8k less miles ! Eek.. Doesn't have the titanium pack, or 2 years seat servicing though.. eek

Last edited:

neil_f225

Mar 14, 2005
I've just sold my 14 plate 184fr estate. Was a great car and only sold it due to getting a company car. Michelin pilot supersport tyres transformed the handling, grip and steering feel. Wouldn't say it was a fast car but performable was decent enough. Would definitely consider another if I was in the market for a car again. ..especially a cupra st! I think it is on if the best looking estates. Looked at an octavia vrs at the time but Leon offers far more for the money.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise