Lightweight alloy

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a nice lightweight alloy in 17" for my Leon?

Was going to go for some OZ Supertourismo WRC in white but they don't have a fitment for the Leon :(

Ideally, want something that is £800 or less (wheels only), is that a realistic price for something good?

Thanks.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
speedline do some flow forged ally ones .type 2120 from 160 quid a corner.or type 2021 for 426 a corner htc magnesium :think: :no:

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
the flow forged ally ones are pretty light ,similar to super turismo in style or super leggera.

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
I consider the 17" Cupra alloys to be heavy! Would anyone else consider them to be?

My brother recently got his hands on a set of 2nd hand 16"OZs for his Toyota, which were lighter than the OE 15" he had on his car!

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Any motorsport orientated wheel should be fairly light ... BBS, Speedline, OZ, Compomotive, etc. My 18" MO Compomotives are quite lightweight compared to many 18" wheels, they are lighter than an OE Audi TT 17" wheel!

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
from what i've heard compomotive MO's are quite heavy,they are after all a rally wheel, they need to be strong also,and being at the "cheaper" end of the wedge they are made from heavier alloy

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
there was a pic on here a while ago of a set of 18's with carbon rims and mag struts they looked the muts nuts (in the style of LCR wheels)

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
RobDon said:
You heard wrong then, they are neither cheap nor heavy, but they are strong as they are heat treated.
by comparison to a magnesium rally wheel they are pennies mate,wasn't trying to say yours are shite,but comparing them to magnesium rally wheels.appols for any confusion :D

Dave_LCR

New KONIG wheels, set of 17s with tyres in that price range no problem. E-racer and Holes models are both lightweight I think?! Though I don't know from personal experience so..?

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
they are good looking rims,they had a huge one at autosport last year,hundreds of chavvy copies flying about though.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
demon tweeks,elite,theres loads out there doing wheel and tyre packages,steer clear of halfrauds,expensive and shite tyres from what i've seen

CupraR-Rog

Just Cruising...
Jul 19, 2003
West Somerset
Visit site
RobDon said:
Any motorsport orientated wheel should be fairly light ... BBS, Speedline, OZ, Compomotive, etc. My 18" MO Compomotives are quite lightweight compared to many 18" wheels, they are lighter than an OE Audi TT 17" wheel!
Rob, you running Brembo's now or not (can never remember!!). If so, what wheels have you tried on them?

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Yes Brembos. Only wheels I tried directly myself were the RS4 and RS6 replica wheels, both required spacers to fit, 8mm for the RS4 and 10mm for the RS6. The Compomotive's clear the brakes easily with no spacers by a good 5mm.

Weight-wise I compared the 18" MO's directly with the 18" RS6 replicas and Audi TT 17" wheels, all with tyres and the 18" MO's felt lighter than them all.

http://www.20v-turbo.co.uk/images/mycar2/robdon_hires.jpg

CupraR-Rog

Just Cruising...
Jul 19, 2003
West Somerset
Visit site
couldn't get away with 5mm spacers with the RS4 then?? (shame, as I've a spare set and was thinking of those wheels, although the RS6 look nice...)
Where did you get your spacers from, and were they hub centric?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise