Locked out of my boot yet again ! But now fixed with pictures. Now 2012 update

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Well my boot lock failed again ! I had that rather familiar sinking feeling when I pulled the SEAT handle but could not feel the catch connect. I could hear the servo clicking back and forth but could not open the boot. The last time this failed the car was under warrantee so it went back and they fitted a new lock mech, however the warrantee has since expired so iam on my own.

I ve often read on here that all is needed is a quick squirt of good old WD40 to get it working again so I decided to DIY. I am really glad I did because it only took an hour and most of that time was trying to get the plastic boot panel off without breaking the clips.

By doing a search you can find a few written guides on here for getting to the lock but they don’t show where the lock has failed. So as this keeps happening I decided to take some pics to show exactly what’s gone wrong and where to apply the oil/grease.

Firstly DON’T PANIC ! You obviously need to get into the boot but you can easily do so by lowering either one of the rear seats and although its awkward you can carry on using the car till you have the time available to fix the lock.

Pull the seats down and remove the parcel shelf by carefully but forcefully pushing it towards the rear window until you can release the catches. You can now get access the plastic boot panel.

The other guides on here tell you to remove the bulb panels and slide your hand in and find the steel boot mech rod and pull up. Well I have slim hands but could not push my hand in far enough to reach it. It was also quite painful as the plastic digs into your hand. After 15 mins of trying from both sides I concluded I could not do it this way. If you manage it well done if not read on.

Now you HAVE to get the panel off to open the boot and its held on by a few possidrive (star pattern) screws and some incredibly strong metal clips. First remove the 2 screws hidden behind the light panels. Then there is a 3rd screw up in the handle reccess. There are 2 more by the latch but you cant get to them yet with the boot jammed closed.

Next is the hardest part and you have to be forceful. :(

Look at my pic below which shows where the metal clips are located Carefully starting at the top (I found the bulge in the middle the easiest) prise the panel with your fingers way from the hatch. The clips are really strong and the plastic panel and the attachment points really weak so its incredibly easy to snap of a clip and in fact once I had removed the panel I found SEAT had already snapped one and I broke another.

Get your fingers behind the panel lip slide them outwards to you feel the top clips. There are 4 in total 2 at each end (see pic). There’s no friendly way to pop these clips as they need a good tug so I suggest you try to get your hands as near to the anchor points as possible.
Once these 4 clips are released you can look behind the panel and see the 2 middle clips and things get easier. Pop the 2 middle clips and grab the metal catch connection rod and pull up. CLICK your boot is now open. :D

The final 2 screws are hidden under a plastic panel around the boot catch.

lock01.jpg

By krussel1 at 2011-04-08

The white circles are the metal clips and the green circles show the screws

Now nothing had actually broken on my lock it was just the part that rocks back and forth which engages the handle had become stiff and seized. It’s a square black plastic block on a square metal shaft. The metal shaft seemed to have no (or very little) grease at its ends where it fits into lock and was stiff. (see pic)

lock02.jpg

I sprayed all the parts with WD40 and opened and closed the boot via the remote key and the catch started working once again. Its not easy to explain but once you have done this you can soon see how the sliding bolt action works allowing the boot handle to be isolated when you lock it.

lock05.jpg

I sprayed plenty of oil at the ends of the shafts and finished with applying some grease.

lock03.jpg

lock04.jpg

Refiting the panel is a lot easier once the boot is open. Take some time to make sure that the metal clips are lined up with the slots in the boot and starting at the bottom simply give each one a firm bang with the palm of your hand. They should snap in first time but if they dont re-check that they are lined up correctly before your hit them again.

This was 3 weeks ago and its been fine. I am hoping the oil / grease works this time as the mech was really dry. If mine goes again iam seriously considering cutting a small round hole in the plastic panel to allow access to the boot release rod so iam not caught out stranded with a jammed boot.

Last edited:

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
No probs mate :D

Its just so annoying that its locked me out twice in 3 years, a classic MK4 fault :D

Its such an easy fix once you get the plastic panel off. I am guessing at £50 for labour at SEAT and they would prob want to sting you for a new mech as well. :(

Last edited:

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
i noticed mine locked me out after i had power washed inside the 's' badge. With me doing so, i think i had washed some of the grease off the mechanism and therefore the clip at the top of the mechanism stopped springing back into place.

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
I dont think there is much if in fact any grease to begin with. My pics are after i oil and greased it but it was dry before hand. :rolleyes:

Fusion405

Oct 27, 2010
Bournemouth
I thaught the same when I done mine, it was dry as a bone. I lubes it all up been fine since, defo sticky material. I wish I read this before I had to do mine... Twice

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Well it went again !!

Same as before the Seat handle not catching although the motor clicking and the boot jammed stuck. I tried bashing the panel near the handle in a attempt to free it but no luck.

Once again using my own guide i climbed into the boot and removed the hatch panel. The black plasitc square tube catch was still lubed but stick up. One prod with my finger and it snapped back down and was working again.

I sprayed on some more oil but iam getting really sick of this happening every year so i decided to get more drastic and make a small hole in the plastic panel to allow the lock release rod to be pulled from the inside, so next time i wont be stuck miles from home with a jammed boot.

Pics :

Firstly i did not show these 2 possidrive screws before but they do need to be removed before the panel comes off. They are under a small panel. (mine fell off about a month after buying the car).

picture007ftn.jpg
[/IMG]

I used one of these hole cutter things to make a neat job in the panel.

picture002ycp.jpg
[/IMG]

The point of no return.

picture003yp.jpg
[/IMG]

The panel now fitted showing the lock release control rod

picture006oqq.jpg
[/IMG]

The new "get out of trouble method" to open the boot

picture008a.jpg
[/IMG]

I had some of these plastic caps knocking about from somewhere.

picture004xo.jpg
[/IMG]

Fitted with a blob of silicon. Dont look to bad considering.

picture005vc.jpg
[/IMG]

A new emergency tool in the box.

picture009wd.jpg
[/IMG]

A bit drastic for some i guess but at least if i am out somehere and the boot fails i can get it open with the least amount of fuss and not get too red faced.

The joys of MK4 ownership.

Last edited:

ChrisB200SX

Mine has failed recently, not too impressed with how it's so tricky to get to the lock!
Thanks for the write-up, should probably go in the FAQ?

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Its just a poor design. Why they never fixed it i dont know. :shrug:

The lock mech fitted to mine was a new warrentee replacement and is the same as the orig one. :rolleyes:

ChrisB200SX

I've got most of the clips off but still can't get to the boot release rod.
Am I doing something wrong?

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
I've got most of the clips off but still can't get to the boot release rod.
Am I doing something wrong?

You need to get a bit rough with it, sorry its the only way :(

Start at the top with one hand near a corner and the other on the bulb square hole and give it a firm tug and the clips will pop. With the top 4 free slide a hand (may be better wearing a glove for protection) behind the panel and feel for the mid clips. Pop those and you should be able to look behind and see the connector rod. Simply grab it and pull up and the boot will pop open. ;)

ChrisB200SX

So go in behind from the top and not through one of the holes?

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Yes iam affraid so. I have skinny hands and I tried from the holes at first but it just chewed them up. It’s a bit brutal but the clips do release with a firm tug and the panel is very flexible so wont snap..

Edit .

Just rem you cannot completely take the panel off until you get the boot open as you have the bottom 2 screws by the catch. Also don’t forget the single screw on the inside handle.

Last edited:

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
I guess so. Was it just the face lifts that had the boot on the central locking then. :confused:

My boot is on the central locking. But the actual boot opening mech is mechanical? I'm sure from seeing rf860's handle that they revised it though. His springs shut whereas mine was a cushion close type affair

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.