losing power!

m3eater

Aug 14, 2014
hi all, just been down to midland vw get my k1 on the rolling road which is at stage2+. the result came out at 311bhp :cry: also got lower torque than expected. the mechanic said ther are no fault codes showing on the computer an there was nothing easily noticeable tha would explain the power loss. i'm not really sure what to do next. i mentiond this to someone a while back and they recommended i change the pcv valve? i changed the dv valve to an upgraded one just ince this had gone. the only issue i have hen driving is on start up in he morning, it seems to strugle a little on start up but other than that the car seems fine. anyone have any ideas? also is this the pcv valve i'm looking for? it's the only thing coing up on awesome's site. thanks!

http://www.awesomegti.com/car/seat/leon1p/ecs-oem-breather-update-kit-mk5-gti-pas-b6-jetta-2-0t

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Could be a bad map?
Dyno lottery?
In need of supporting mods?

Has it been on the RR before? Do you have any figures to compare against?

m3eater

Aug 14, 2014
Could be a bad map?
Dyno lottery?
In need of supporting mods?

Has it been on the RR before? Do you have any figures to compare against?

i don't think it's down to the dyno lottery. all the map settings seemed correct. fuel pressure was correct and everything seemed to match up against a previous k1 they had at 350 bhp. i had it on the rr before the map when it was stage 2 and was told the same thing ten, that i'm losng power. all i did was chnge the dv and kind of forgo about it. i have an itg filter, milltek de-cat system and ths intercooler so i think i have all the supportin mods apart rom the rs4 valve.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Stage 2 then, the plus comes in when you get the uprated HPFP.

Until you get the uprated fuel pump you're just at stage 2.

m3eater

Aug 14, 2014
the car read at 296 max reading when at stage 2, now 311 was the highest. an expensive 15bhp gain that was lol

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
Do you have a dyno run from when the map was installed as a comparison?

311 bhp is more like stage 1 power

m3eater

Aug 14, 2014
i have graphs of both stage 2 and 2+ but nothing before that. i don't think there was much difference between the two. it was a revo remap that was installed

Jul 6, 2013
West Yorkshire
I had mine on Shark Performance rollers before I had mine stage 2+ map done. When they did a run to see what it was doing I was on stage 2 Revo. It has 3"miltek turbo back with sports cat, forge twinintake, forge dumpvalve, Loba HPFP and it only made 304bhp. But Ben said his rollers rule a lower reading to a lot of people's (or a more truthful reading as he put it) after he worked his magic it did 350bhp. It could be the rollers. If they car still feels good it's the only answer I'd be able to come up with.

m3eater

Aug 14, 2014
thanks but i'm pretty sure it's not the rr. the mechanic could tell pretty much straight away that it didn't have as much power as it should just because it wasn't trying to escape the rollers which is common for that kind of power. not to mention the car doesnt really feel much faster than before, just a slightly smoother first gear pull. he said all settings seemed pretty much the same as other cars that produced around 350bhp i.e the airflow and fuel pressure. but it was just being lost somewhere

m3eater

Aug 14, 2014
That's a proper head scratcher! Sounds as if it's struggling to breath them in some way. Does it feel sluggish and restricted?

1st gear feels a little sluggish but nothing really noticeable to me. it really does seem like a mystery. all the mechanic at midland vw could suggest was to maybe leave it with them for a few days to take everything apart and have a look around,ut nothing since this isn't really possible for me to do unfortunately. one thing i forgot to mention was that the car had cut out a few weeks ago when i was driving it hard. i also got my oil changed today as i noticed it smelled like petrol when topping up recently.

m3eater

Aug 14, 2014
Changed the pcv valve today and it doesn't look like this was causing any issues. Feels a touch more responsive but not by 40bhp. The mystery continues

m3eater

Aug 14, 2014
Thanks it is pissing me off a bit but hopefully it will be sorted. the recirculation valve I got was just a slightly upgraded one from pierburg I think. Found a company called pumabuild in the city who seem to have a lot of eqt so I may take it there and let them have a good look around

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members