Loss of power steering 2.0tdi 2011

Jul 20, 2020
Today I went out to my car to move it onto the drive to clean it. When i started it up the power steering light was on so I checked my fluid level and it seemed a little low but nothing too extreme so I have topped it up a bit, took it for a drive to ensure there is no air in it but still having no luck. No noise or anything showing any signs of fault, no leak or anything... has anything experienced anything similar or know where i could start to find the problem? I drive a 2011 Seat Ibiza 2.0tdi

jdmsx

Away washing the car
Today I went out to my car to move it onto the drive to clean it. When i started it up the power steering light was on so I checked my fluid level and it seemed a little low but nothing too extreme so I have topped it up a bit, took it for a drive to ensure there is no air in it but still having no luck. No noise or anything showing any signs of fault, no leak or anything... has anything experienced anything similar or know where i could start to find the problem? I drive a 2011 Seat Ibiza 2.0tdi
The Ibiza is very common for the pump failing, even more so if the car isn’t used much and the voltage drops. But if it is still working correctly, then I’d maybe have a look into the wiring to the plug on the power steering pump

Jul 20, 2020
Would there not be no noise indication if the pump has gone? I have a family friend who is a mobile mechanic who I am going to call tomorrow for a more professional opinion. This may sound completely daft but i cannot remember if it was gone before or after but i was on playing with a firelighter FM transmitter at the time of noticing the light was on, do you think this could of done something with the electric wiring going into the pump?

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
same hapenned to me twice, either it is the battery or you need a new steering pump

Jul 20, 2020
Sweet cheers for the info guys, having someone look at it over the weekend hopefully find the cause and get it booked in to get sorted!

Jul 20, 2020
Would anyone have any ideas why the light on the dash hasn't gone off since getting it replaced? Got a refurb from euro and got a mechanic i know to come fix and calibrate it to my car but the dash lights still on... any ideas?

jdmsx

Away washing the car
Hmm, if it’s been coded in then rules that out. Maybe just as simple as resetting the codes hasn’t been done. I know that if you switch the ignition off and on 3x it sometimes resets the codes. Even try disconnecting the battery for a minute and reconnect to see if that does the trick. Evener easier to reset faults if you have a OBD2 scanner to do it

Jul 20, 2020
Yeah we have an OBD2 scanner but its not showing any fault codes so its throwing me off a bit. Driving it to work and back tomorrow then i'll give em a go mate cheers

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
You need to recode it using vcds.
Does the car have esp?
And the car whch it was removed from?

The coding is 10111 if the car doesnt have
And 11211 if the car has esp

The important part that is causing the problem is the second and third number

But you can also play with the last two numbers to choose how light it is

The last two numbers are either
11 standard
21 bit more heavy
Etc...

Jul 20, 2020
This might be too late to ask this but would having my car lowered make a difference? My dad seems to think i need a 'uprated pump'... got the mechanic popping back round tomorrow hopefully so can give this a go mate cheers!

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
This might be too late to ask this but would having my car lowered make a difference? My dad seems to think i need a 'uprated pump'... got the mechanic popping back round tomorrow hopefully so can give this a go mate cheers!
No, the pump works at an specification and no more.

If you have car lowered the steering will be stiffer or lighter to you, it will not make pump work harder.

It is the only avalaible pump really, so you dont have a chance

Jul 20, 2020
Good to know as i dont fancy reverting it back to OEM suspension... will spend some time on it this weekend and hopefully get it sorted cheers for all the info!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Just one thing, if you only have a simple OBD2 scan tool, it will probably only read engine emissions fault codes, so never "see" any steering related fault codes.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members