Lost the passenger wing mirror when folded in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mattb

Some muppet has smashed my passenger side mirror when it was in its folded position. I have turned the switch to see if the drivers mirror will return to the open position but won't.

My question is will it be alright to manually return it to the open position whilst I wait for the passenger side mirror to be repaired or am I likley to be doing more damage than good.

Steve221

Workshy Fop.
May 30, 2003
Newcastle
Visit site
Sorry to hear that mate, dont know about damaging the mirror but you might want to try because you might get pulled for it. I think that you must have at least two operational mirrors out of the two door and rear view mirror. Any two out of these three is fine but any less is illegal. (I think).

Do a search for other threads with mirror trouble, there is plenty. Its quite common for them to fail. I pushed mine out one morning and it gave out a sickening crack and it was fine after. Other people have done this and have been stuck with flappy mirrors.

BTW how much for a new one? I was told about 250 quid by a dealer.:eek:

Alice_Cupra

A Dirty Diamond.......
Jan 31, 2003
West Yorkshire
Visit site
Originally posted by Steve221
I think that you must have at least two operational mirrors out of the two door and rear view mirror. Any two out of these three is fine but any less is illegal. (I think).

Methinks you are right in this one. You must have 2 independant means of looking behind.

Don't know if this includes those little cameras you can get on some posh cars or trucks, though.......

mik

irregular participant
Jun 26, 2001
Glasgow UK
Visit site
Re drivers side - let the system cycle folded - open & back a few times ~ it should "find" the mirror.

If not you CAN manually do it, but best not to and it makes a horrible crunch :(

mattb

I have now moved the mirror out and it appears to be OK just that it hasn't locked in the open position. It is not loose but just appears to wobble a bit more than it should. Hopefully the new mirror will get fitted next week so should be OK till then.

I have no idea who did it and Saturday night was not a good night as a couple of hours earlier someone reversed into the near side front panel and dented the wheelarch good and proper. At least I have the insurance details for that one.

Sh!t happens.

Vennuth

Sounds like a bad day!

Is there no chance you could blag the mirrors damage being caused by the other accident and put them both on the other persons insurance?

Just a thought!

Rob

shirudell

Alhambra, Leon & Arosa!
Dec 28, 2001
Norfolk
www.cognizant.co.uk
I went on a Dover-Calais Hoverspeed ferry last July and as I, my wife and our 10 month old daughter were struggling to get out of the Leon, some hoverspeed dork came along and started pushing my mirror back against the car!

I was livid! Shouted something along the lines of 'Oi, stop that immediately!' (or words to that effect - without being too rude of course). It seems the general populus aren't accustomed to these new-fangled inventions such as £300 electrically folding wing mirrors!

I did explain to the poor chap why I was so distraught and then opened the car up again and flicked the mirrors in!

Silver Bullet

Large Member
May 9, 2006
I went on a Dover-Calais Hoverspeed ferry last July and as I, my wife and our 10 month old daughter were struggling to get out of the Leon, some hoverspeed dork came along and started pushing my mirror back against the car!

I was livid! Shouted something along the lines of 'Oi, stop that immediately!' (or words to that effect - without being too rude of course). It seems the general populus aren't accustomed to these new-fangled inventions such as £300 electrically folding wing mirrors!

I did explain to the poor chap why I was so distraught and then opened the car up again and flicked the mirrors in!

Yes, I've started to think that these expensive self folding mirrors arent really a good idea, they're supposed to fold to avoid damage but they are MUCH more fragile than good old fashioned hand folding mirrors, now I have a self folding right mirror and a "manually" folding left mirror (as opposed to a friend of mine, who has exactly the opposite)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise