Lowering novice

Stiglet

Feb 12, 2010
Surrey
I've never lowered a car in my life and don't really have a clue what to do? I don't want my car looking like a 4x4 anymore lol. I only want to drop it a little. What's the minimum you can do ? I was hoping for just springs as its going to be only a little drop . I don't wana go like 45mm drop more like 10-20 mm. Just so it looks better. I'm staying with my 16 inch alloys so no fear of rubbing.. Advice please ..

Stiglet

Feb 12, 2010
Surrey
Told you I was a novice lol. Guess I need at least 20 mm drop. Liking coil over thingys. But I'm guessing not cheap lol

Chriswaite130

Byebye TDI, Hello VTEC y0
Jan 24, 2008
Northumberland
On my old Ibiza (1.9tdi sport so also 4x4!) I had KW coilovers, which weren't cheap but were very good! I figured out that a good drop for me (for handling not low and slow) was about 60mm rear, 40mm front, but that's what coilovers are good for as you can play with the height to get it exactly how you want.

Springs don't give you an adjustment option, just a set drop and you will be very disappointed with a 20mm drop IMO.

If going the coilover route, don't waste your money on the cheap rubbish as you'll regret it - there's a couple of threads over on briskoda ATM about cheap coilovers (not mentioning brand names ;)) but everyone is binning them after a few months

wenman

Red Ibiza 1.8T
Mar 28, 2009
Cheshunt
Just go 45mm, it will be noticeable and you shouldn't scrub.
What size wheels, width and offset do you have?

Stiglet

Feb 12, 2010
Surrey
16 inch standard wheels. Duno offset? I'm guessing coilovers then? What's a good make and how much am I looking with fitting . 25 mm sounds perfect for me, more subtle ..

Weedall

Ko4 = fun
Apr 5, 2011
Cheshire, UK
Just had H&R 35mm lowering springs on my PD100. Like WHOZBOSS the back of mine is alot higher than the front (3 finger gap at back compared to a tight 2 on front), the front is sat nice for me. Not the best pic but here you go:
2w1t8ip.jpg
Thats on 16" wheels.

Stiglet

Feb 12, 2010
Surrey
Nice pic, looking good but how do you get an even gap front to back then and did you tell ur insurance? As mine won't insure me lowered!!! God knows why ? I'm with swift cover.

Apr 6, 2010
Just had H&R 35mm lowering springs on my PD100. Like WHOZBOSS the back of mine is alot higher than the front (3 finger gap at back compared to a tight 2 on front), the front is sat nice for me. Not the best pic but here you go:
2w1t8ip.jpg
Thats on 16" wheels.

Yours is lower than mine lol going to upgrade my alloys to 17" cupras so that'll lessen the gap hopefully.. Problem is i only have 3 at the min so on look out for 1 more..

Chriswaite130

Jan 24, 2008
Northumberland
Nice pic, looking good but how do you get an even gap front to back then and did you tell ur insurance? As mine won't insure me lowered!!! God knows why ? I'm with swift cover.

Quite hard to get an even drop with just springs, unless you can find some that lower the back significantly more than the front Even then it might not be exactly right, which is why coilovers are good.

Some insurance companies wont cover mods at all, but I thought Swift were ok for mods?

wenman

Red Ibiza 1.8T
Mar 28, 2009
Cheshunt
I'm sure Damien @ DPM used to do spring sets with shorter rears to get a level drop.
with coilovers you can adjust where you want the car to sit, where as if you are unhappy with spring it's time to buy another set!

Lowe

Jan 8, 2012
Newcastle Under Lyme
I thought a slight rake with the front lower was preferred - when you accelerate the back drops so the car's level. I was always under the impression it's not meant to sit level unless you're just doing it for looks. If the back is level or lower you're going to end up with understeer surely?

Chriswaite130

Jan 24, 2008
Northumberland
I thought a slight rake with the front lower was preferred - when you accelerate the back drops so the car's level. I was always under the impression it's not meant to sit level unless you're just doing it for looks. If the back is level or lower you're going to end up with understeer surely?

OP said 'Just so it looks better' - but otherwise I agree with you and always ran my Ibiza a bit arse up as it handled way better. I had one trackday with it sitting level and under-steered everywhere!!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.