Major Oil Leak - Car Juddering

kiteboy

Nov 18, 2015
Hi all

Just broke down on motorway with my Seat Leon 1.9 Diesel
Heared a funny noise from the engine and the car started juddering - when I pulled over there was oil everywhere over the floor

Im gonna have a look at it tommorrow - but does anyone have any ideas what it could be? Really dont want to buy a new car before christmas!!

Thanks all

tanto

Oct 16, 2016
first thing to check is your sump to see if its cracked did you hear or feel anything before the juddering started did you stop right away?

kiteboy

Nov 18, 2015
there was some sort of bang or thud then almost immeadiately the oil light came on.....i pulled over straight away too...as the light was comming on

theres no oil around the oil filter but oil over the front radiator grill and fan and then all over the plastic under tray

it must be completly drained of oil now....there was that much

tanto

Oct 16, 2016
sounds like something on road has hit your sump and has probably cracked it if you got stopped and turned engine off quick enough you may be lucky and only need to change the sump and refill oil

kiteboy

Nov 18, 2015
I hope its the sump - Im gonna try and book it in tomorrow rather than look myself - it would take me all day just to have a look

There is a garage less than a minute away if I drove it there and its all downhill

Would it be safe to take it there do you think - I think it would get there but trying to avoid doing any damage

Do you think it maybe an idea to put some oil in - even if its likely to go straight through?? Just to get it there

I moved the car slightly yesterday and Im sure it made like a backfiring pop as I switched the engine off - :(

tanto

Oct 16, 2016
do not start engine get it towed to garage oil starvation will destroy engine and turbo there are usually loads of people advertising recovery cheap

Reactions: mty12345

kiteboy

Nov 18, 2015
Well - fears were founded - there some sort of hole in the engine - and its game over by the sounds of it - just going down the garage to empty it of all my rubbish before its scrapped gutted

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
Sorry to hear that, the 1.9 TDI is normally a very strong unit. What mileage was it on?

Had a connecting rod go on a Peugeot 15 years ago on the M4, was one hell of a bang. Replaced the engine, cost what the car was worth but the rest was in good condition and couldn't be arsed scrapping it and looking for a new car.

You can get 2nd hand 1.9 engines for next to nothing but it's not worth it unless you can swap it yourself.

kiteboy

Nov 18, 2015
Only done just about 70000 miles so very low really 2008 TDI - mechanic tried to show me it - oil going straight through pretty much
Plus it does need a clutch doing which I did smell about 3 weeks ago burning - so its probably time to give it up - not economical to repair
Now the question is should we buy or lease - never leased before so gonna look into that next - mare

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
Ah right, it's a MK2 Leon. That's around the similar mileage my 306 engine went but it was 5 years old.

Leasing is popular and there should be plenty of guides online.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise