Me vs MK5 GTI + Civic R

chris_m

Aug 30, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Crikey, what an entertaining day!

My mates had his Black GTI for about 2 months, and a mate of his has a year old Type-R. With nobody doing anything today we decided on a blast out up through Kielder and some of Northumberlands finest roads.

First off, it was incredibly difficult to keep near the GTI.... i was sandwiched in the middle, and could not keep with the GTI in either outright pace or through the twisty bits - i have to say, its not massively quicker, just a bit, but the cars change of direction and composure through corners is absolutely astounding.

The big suprise was how tricky it must be in the Type-R to follow someone, especially a torquey car, because i dropped him on numerous occasions, and even he admitted that. I've always maintained the CTR is a great track/dual carraigeway car, but not a great B-Road one, mainly cos it takes one hell of a driver to keep it on the boil!

Once in front, and able to concentrate tho, again, it was a tough ask to keep with the Civic. Again, not massively quicker, but really does stick like glue.

What i found is that i was fine on the quick stuff, the long sweeping corners, but was absolutely mullered on the tighter nippier stuff, where the car just wallowed and dipped all over the place, and the steering needs far too much input and just isn't 'pointy' enough. Still okay, just a tad irritating, although i guess i am comparing it to the two best hatches out there!

Great fun tho, and the new GTI bodes incredibly well for the new hot Leons... great engine that 2.0T as well.

After all that tho, i head home and end up on the roads i use 99% of the time, through town, along dual-carriageways etc.... and the Leon is great, and murders most on the road, so i guess i cant complain that it doesnt stand up too well on the bi-monthly cross country jaunts! :)

So to sum up, two cars with pluses and minuses (Cupra and Civic) whilst one seems to be an absolute blinding all rounder (GTI).

LEON_FR

Rich Full Member
Jul 9, 2005
Stoke on Trent
Cool stuff what bhp are the GTi's they look awesome seen a red one a few times around my area wouldnt mind one as my next car.

chris_m

Aug 30, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Definately mate, needs some SERIOUS work done on the handling, its downright scary at times.

The GTI has 197hp... but its the way its delivered thats the big thing, you would swear it never had a turbo at times, absolutely instant respose anywhere in the rev range. The brakes are stonking too, none of this pedal travel like in the MK4 based cars, not overly servoed, just really sharp.

He's off to get it mapped next week which should show 250-260... that'll be fun!

Cupra_power

torque ain't cheap
Nov 1, 2004
the burbs...
I must agree on the tight stuff, they feel too heavy, not agile, but show it a a nice sweeping bend and they feel rock solid. Great comparision story though.

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
IMO fitting coilovers and upper strut brace is a must on an LCR... that and getting a remap! ;)

iv had my coilovers set to -35mm all round and that is just right i think... the ride quality is very good (the same as standard) and it makes the car feel soooo much more planted and i havnt had any of those dodgy experiences where the rear end gets very light (and i drove at brands!)

makes the car much more "chuckable" too :whistle:

james :)

Last edited:

chris_m

Aug 30, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I've always had this 'knack' (if you could call it that!) of braking incredibly late, too late at times, but its quite hard to shake it off - so i dont feel that with a car that doesnt handle that well in the first place, that i make the Leon as quick as it should.

It unsettles me at times in the way the rear end gets VERY squirmy should you want to turn sharply after medium to heavy braking, it really really doesnt like it, and it puts you off instantly.

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
i know exactly wat u mean!

trust me... once lowered the car IS soooo much more planted and like i said.. i havnt had the light rear end feeling :)lol: ) since... and iv done a track day at brands hatch! :yes:

dont forget the strut brace/ARBs too! ;)

Last edited:

Cupra_power

torque ain't cheap
Nov 1, 2004
the burbs...
The weight transfer and relatively heavy car with a softer suspension and it gets unsettled. They are not the most "chuckable" cars around, but then are not lightweights.

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
still wouldnt handle as good as uprated ARBs/strutbrace/coilovers i think

plus like u said.... we need our rear seats for fun! ;)

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
does sound like fun!

would be interesting to see how a 4wd v6 leon would handle and go like!

i gues a TT is the nearest we will get!

geordiepaul

Dec 2, 2003
Visit site
chris_m said:
Crikey, what an entertaining day!

My mates had his Black GTI for about 2 months, and a mate of his has a year old Type-R. With nobody doing anything today we decided on a blast out up through Kielder and some of Northumberlands finest roads.

First off, it was incredibly difficult to keep near the GTI.... i was sandwiched in the middle, and could not keep with the GTI in either outright pace or through the twisty bits - i have to say, its not massively quicker, just a bit, but the cars change of direction and composure through corners is absolutely astounding.

The big suprise was how tricky it must be in the Type-R to follow someone, especially a torquey car, because i dropped him on numerous occasions, and even he admitted that. I've always maintained the CTR is a great track/dual carraigeway car, but not a great B-Road one, mainly cos it takes one hell of a driver to keep it on the boil!

Once in front, and able to concentrate tho, again, it was a tough ask to keep with the Civic. Again, not massively quicker, but really does stick like glue.

What i found is that i was fine on the quick stuff, the long sweeping corners, but was absolutely mullered on the tighter nippier stuff, where the car just wallowed and dipped all over the place, and the steering needs far too much input and just isn't 'pointy' enough. Still okay, just a tad irritating, although i guess i am comparing it to the two best hatches out there!

Great fun tho, and the new GTI bodes incredibly well for the new hot Leons... great engine that 2.0T as well.

After all that tho, i head home and end up on the roads i use 99% of the time, through town, along dual-carriageways etc.... and the Leon is great, and murders most on the road, so i guess i cant complain that it doesnt stand up too well on the bi-monthly cross country jaunts! :)

So to sum up, two cars with pluses and minuses (Cupra and Civic) whilst one seems to be an absolute blinding all rounder (GTI).

You got a Cupra or Cupra R?

Eternal Rage

Scooby & Cordy Powered
Mar 22, 2005
Manchester
Was on the track at Donny yesterday. Lowered a lot and wow did it seem planted on the long sweepy bends, really predicatable and a lovely drive. But how slow did i feel come the chicanes!!

Managed to keep up with an EVO round a long right hander and down penultimate straight at 120MPH only to lose like 5 car lengths on one section before the pit straight as it zipped through without hardly slowing... admitedly mine is only running 180BHP, but i cant imagine it handling much better with Strut Brace/ARB's. Remap and FMIC will help the responsiveness and accereration, but i was Wow'd by the Evo's!!

I managed to rule victorious over a stripped out Suziki and a Seirra Cossy, i made headway over all of the slower stuff behind, wished i had been at the back now to see how much stuff i could have overtaken...

Ultimate fun though :D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise