milage advice

Br!dges

Jul 9, 2011
Wales
Hey all.....kreeping over from the mk1 section so be nice :)

Just after everyone's opinion as some of you on here would have bought your car 2nd hand.

Basically I'm after a change from my mk1 lcr and have seen a very nice mk2 fr on a 2010 plate but it has 79k on the clock! Would any of you be hesitant to buy the car?

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire
Welcome to the darkside haha.

Depends if it's had full service history. Personally abit high for me but if it's been looked after and mostly motorway miles it should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Br!dges

Jul 9, 2011
Wales
Ahahaha cheers dude.

I do need to check out the fsh but will be doing that tomorrow. I understand why motorway miles are better than town but how do you know if that's what it has done? There isn't surely?!?!

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire
No probably not but to do nearlly 20k per year in town driving is impossible really unless your going from one side of London to another however that would take you a whole day so wouldn't work.

Ask if the pads and disks have been changed and if not then they can be good indicators. See if the car had been changed to long life servicing which is 20k mile intervals for cars which do motorway miles. Check to see biting point on the clutch aswell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
I'd say its a good buy as the likelihood is most of that mileage will have been sat on the motorway, which is very easy on the car. Some lower mileage cars will actually be in worse condition if they've spent their life being bounced of pot-holes around town etc.

Only thing to watch out for is these along with the Mk6 GTI suffer from cam-chain issues on 2009/ early 2010 cars with the 2.0 TSI engine. I'd either want evidence its already had the problem and been fixed, or a good warranty.

Br!dges

Jul 9, 2011
Wales
Am I able to post a link? See what you guys think?

Thanks for all the info though and with regards to the chain it should point it out in service manual?

Br!dges

Jul 9, 2011
Wales
Well I looked at it again yesterday along with the service manual and it's been serviced every 10K miles plus the timing belt was done at 67k so I wouldnt hesitate to get it with that mileage. However I do feel it's overprived at just over £9k (cash only) p/x was more + I know I'll only get £1-1.5k for mine if I p/x.

Going to have a long hard think about it but I think I'm going to be in a better place maintaining mine but we'll see.

Thanks to all for your input though, maybe one day I'll own :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.