Milage

coupe happy

Hi problem with engine management light on off , car been to seat Linwood ( Scotland ) twice now for a diagnostic . But saying no faults showing, started car this morning and management light once again pops on . Made a 18 mile round trip on mostly straight roads with miles left in tank showing 60 miles, got back and miles left showing 25 miles . That's 35 miles of fuel used for a 18 mile trip, has anyone had the same problem or is this normal , seems to not add up as I def don't boot the car when driving .

t.oldaker

SFS Performance Hoses Rep
Jul 5, 2011
Bournemouth
www.facebook.com
Meh the trip computers on these are pretty inaccurate with distance miles tbh. I find it doesn't change much and looks like im using hardly any fuel until half a tank then it disappears alot quicker. But is very hit and miss regardless.

What engine is the car anyway?

coupe happy

Thanks for reply , car is Ibiza sport coupe 1.4 . Just did wee trip to my mate's and back about 20 mile round trip took it easy no hi rev s etc etc car trip computer said I averaged 36 mpg . Sounds a bit low for 1.4 should it not be round the 50 mark . 60 plate

t.oldaker

Jul 5, 2011
Bournemouth
www.facebook.com
Thanks for reply , car is Ibiza sport coupe 1.4 . Just did wee trip to my mate's and back about 20 mile round trip took it easy no hi rev s etc etc car trip computer said I averaged 36 mpg . Sounds a bit low for 1.4 should it not be round the 50 mark . 60 plate

I have the same car funny enough I see around that when driving round town etc... however on motorways I get around 45 now windows up no aircon etc... as i said the trip is pretty inaccurate tbh I worked out you can get on average 300-350miles to a full tank :)

coupe happy

Sounds about right when got the car three months ago . But since management light came on seems to need fueled all the time, because car trying to right the engine and mixture constantly asking for fuel . Four or five times now I have taken keys right out of ignition and in my hand and car runs on for 4 / 5 seconds before cutting off .

t.oldaker

Jul 5, 2011
Bournemouth
www.facebook.com
Sounds about right when got the car three months ago . But since management light came on seems to need fueled all the time, because car trying to right the engine and mixture constantly asking for fuel . Four or five times now I have taken keys right out of ignition and in my hand and car runs on for 4 / 5 seconds before cutting off .

Yeh the engine warning light i cant help with, thats something to take up with seat and get it sorted. :/

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Mpg and tank range sounds about normal to me, mine was the same. There solid old blocks the 1.4 and although not the most modern engine they are generally reliable. Not sure why your engine light is on, you'll need to get a diagnostic reader connected up

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
As has been said, the 1.4 engine is an old model and, although generally solid and reliable, it has the old-world economy of that generation. The economy you indicate seems about right, though if you want a totally accurate fuel economy figure you'll have to do a "brim to brim" manual calculation. The trip computer is reasonably accurate, but I wouldn't rely oin the "distance to empty" readout - it is normally pessimistic - probably on purpose so you don't run out of fuel and complain to Seat!

As regards the Engine Management light, does this happen frequently? Try to video the fault happening using your phone so you have documented proof. I'd be tempted to drive straight to the dealer if the fault happens within working hours and you have spare time to do it. Then let the Service Manager witness the fault in progress... They can't then simply say that because there's no fault code showing, they can't treat the issue seriously! I had a similar fight with my local Seat dealer when the trip coimputer totally died one day, then came back the next! No fault code so no action, and they attempted to bill me for the work!

Last edited:

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
The distance to empty calculation is made based on how you are driving, so the indicated distance will change very quickly if for instance you drop off a motorway into congestion.
It can also work the other way. Last night I filled my car up before going for a drive, just after filling it the computer said I had a range of 405 miles. I drove roughly 30 miles and when I got home the computer now said I had a range of 430 miles. Result........lol

coupe happy

Thanks guys for replys seems like am getting paranoid I know but had 1.6 focus for years and lifestyle not changed since getting Ibiza, same trips to work, supermarket, weemans football etc . I know not getting the same amount of fuel for your money these days but that same 20 quid in a bigger engine with way more torq than my new wee bird would last about 4 days . Now lucky if goes 3 in Ibiza just does not add up, thought the given rule was smaller engine better fuel economy. On the video of management light have now taken pic showing time, date when on then when off, pic again the big different on miles left in tank after trip to what I have travelled shows up more when I have had to drive with light on and seems to settle when back off . Just annoys me when you tell seat service department the problems like engine still running when take key out , car idling at 13 rpm ( took pic of that also now) car shuddering badly when sitting at lights etc . The nod put diagnostic in which shows up what they call ghost codes and its sorry mate car fine aaarrh . Whatever happened too lets just check the basics first, spark plugs , timing belt , fuel pump , coils , fuel mixture , am no bloody mechanic but kind of things I am highlighting seem to point to these things .

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.