Mirror damage - replacement part?

Jay1983

Sep 21, 2018
So a couple of days ago I clipped the mirror of a guy who decided that it was a good idea to start pulling out on me on a narrow road. Loud thud, mirror folded in, the casing came off. Picked up the casing and looking at the mirror there was no obvious damage and lights worked as my hazards went on. As we both appeared to only have a scuff on the mirror casing neither of us were particularly bothered (I have a black 150 FR and it has scuffs - you see every mark) and so left it at that.

Yesterday I noticed that when I hard locked the car the mirror folded in all the way to touch the window. Taking the case off again it became obvious why - a small part of the inner mirror that would stop the motor turning further had been sheared off on impact, so the mirror turns past the tab and folds in to the window (see attached).

I did try a bit of a bodge fix by attaching a small metal L-bracket to the screw, but the motor is so powerful it pushes the tab past anything I've added so far. I still may have some luck yet with something just the right size which will stop the tab but I'd rather get something done properly.

My question is this - do I have to buy an entire replacement mirror (to fit my model), or can I buy any Mk3 LH mirror (scrappy, ebay etc) and take it apart to switch in just that particular part of the mirror? Essentially all I need is the plastic inner part of the assembly.

Attachments

• mirror1.png
    mirror1.png
    494.7 KB · Views: 166
  • mirror2.png
    mirror2.png
    444.2 KB · Views: 159

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If you think that it is the frame that has broken, you can buy a new frame and refit everything onto it, I had someone overtake a bike while I was on my side of the road and our mirrors contacted, that was in my wife's 2015 Polo, it does not have motorised folding mirrors, the cap got smashed, the LED indicator strip assembly got broken and the frame got broken, the most expensive part was the LED strip assembly - I chose to spray a new cap.

You seem too have been very lucky there, in my case, the other driver in a Corsa ended up with a smashed mirror and side window!

Reactions: Jay1983

Jay1983

Sep 21, 2018
If you think that it is the frame that has broken, you can buy a new frame and refit everything onto it, I had someone overtake a bike while I was on my side of the road and our mirrors contacted, that was in my wife's 2015 Polo, it does not have motorised folding mirrors, the cap got smashed, the LED indicator strip assembly got broken and the frame got broken, the most expensive part was the LED strip assembly - I chose to spray a new cap.

You seem too have been very lucky there, in my case, the other driver in a Corsa ended up with a smashed mirror and side window!
I was going no real speed (maybe 20), so yes it was lucky.

If it's just a case of taking apart another mirror and swapping it over then I'll do that, cheers. I can't seem to see anywhere to buy just the plastic interior frame? Do you have any suggestions other than SEAT?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
SEAT will sell you the exact correct part for not much money, ask and see - maybe even use one of the parts places in this forum.

Edit:- in my experience too many "other" traders online will charge you more for current parts as they are relying on you thinking that their prices will always be lower than main dealers, I know this from experience!

Miguel 7

R ST
Jan 23, 2017
I've recently bough a whole used full electric wing mirror for just over £70
Replacing is well easy let us know if need guidance

Seat quoted well over £300 for parts + labour. :)

Jay1983

Sep 21, 2018
SEAT will sell you the exact correct part for not much money, ask and see - maybe even use one of the parts places in this forum.

Edit:- in my experience too many "other" traders online will charge you more for current parts as they are relying on you thinking that their prices will always be lower than main dealers, I know this from experience!
So I spoke to the local dealership and they perhaps predictably told me that they could only supply the whole mirror minus the cap and mirror plate, as it essentially came in those three parts. As the rest of the mirror works fine and this is only a minor annoyance I don't want to pay over £100 for the entire thing.

Do you think if I were to buy any Mk3 mirror I could swap out the frame for the one on mine, or is there a difference for the FR with the heated mirrors?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
That is shocking, so SEAT build the mirror up from fewer parts than VW and Audi, very annoying, though doing it that way seems to make the cars cheaper to buy - but you can end up paying a lot when things get broken!

You will need to do your own leg work and find out the assembly number for the mirror on your car and make sure that you know exactly which ages and trims of Leons used that same mirror before you buy used - unless anyone on here to point you to the exact correct used one.

Jay1983

Sep 21, 2018
That is shocking, so SEAT build the mirror up from fewer parts than VW and Audi, very annoying, though doing it that way seems to make the cars cheaper to buy - but you can end up paying a lot when things get broken!

You will need to do your own leg work and find out the assembly number for the mirror on your car and make sure that you know exactly which ages and trims of Leons used that same mirror before you buy used - unless anyone on here to point you to the exact correct used one.
Hope you don't mind but I had a quick question on another subject not really worthy of another thread...

My interior rear view mirror has recently started shaking and it seems the mount has come loose from the window. I know how to take the mirror off but the FR has a rain sensor so I'm not sure how I go about removing this part (do I need to remove it?) Also is there a particular glue or pad you would recommend to re-attach the window mount with?

Jay1983

Sep 21, 2018
The right hand side is loose and looks like it has been glued before but has come loose again. Behind the rain sensor is a circular gel pad, but it looks like it is perhaps leaking (you can see an oily smear on the window from the outside but nothing from inside the car).

Can I just prise off the window mount and glue it back on with a good product or does the gel pad need to be replaced at the same time (will it come off with it)?

Any help would be appreciated. I can't seem to find any useful videos or tutorials for doing this.

Edit: It appears I don't have auto rain wiper function on my car - there is no auto lights function and the incremental "raindrop" switch on the top of the wiper stick only changes the speed of each of the three levels of wipers, not rain sensitivity.

I'm more confused now as to what the sensor is on the mirror mount, is it just a humidity sensor?

Attachments

• interior mirror.png
    interior mirror.png
    382.1 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I've never removed or repaired a mirror mounting that has sensors, so if I needed to work on that, I'd be checking up if SEAT sell new pads and use of them.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.