Mirrors have stopped folding

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Only advice I can offer is try resetting the windows again, do they go up when they're down as you hold the fob still? My wind deflectors caused an issue with the anti trap and although you couldn't tell anything was wrong I slowly worked it out and it was the wind deflectors causing trouble. Since I have used number plate tape cut thinly to make sure they're cemented in both front and back. I would say try putting your windows up with the key, that should indicate whether it's the key or car. Also, try resetting your head unit back to factory settings.

Cheers, will try those tomorrow and let you know how I get on!

marlop

? Is there a particular order to go in with the windows? How do I know when a window has reset? Thanks!
There's no need of resetting the windows following a specific order.

Window button in position 1: manual
Window button in position 2: automatic

Just push down the button in position 1 (or even position 2) until the window is completely open and then keep holding the button in POSITION 2 for at least 5 seconds. It's important not to stop holding the button from the beginning of this process.

To complete the resetting, push up the button in position 1 (or even position 2) until the window is completely closed and then keep holding the button in POSITION 2 for at least 5 seconds. With that it would be enough to have the windows properly reset.

You can even reset all the windows at the same time. In this case, when pushing down/up the buttons, you must wait for all the windows to be completely open/closed before the last 5 seconds needed to reset the system. This is important because the window not properly reset (the one causing the problem here) may not open/close at the same time than others, so we must wait until it is in the same position.

Hope this can add some help. Good luck! ;)

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
There's no need of resetting the windows following a specific order.

Window button in position 1: manual
Window button in position 2: automatic

Just push down the button in position 1 (or even position 2) until the window is completely open and then keep holding the button in POSITION 2 for at least 5 seconds. It's important not to stop holding the button from the beginning of this process.

To complete the resetting, push up the button in position 1 (or even position 2) until the window is completely closed and then keep holding the button in POSITION 2 for at least 5 seconds. With that it would be enough to have the windows properly reset.

You can even reset all the windows at the same time. In this case, when pushing down/up the buttons, you must wait for all the windows to be completely open/closed before the last 5 seconds needed to reset the system. This is important because the window not properly reset (the one causing the problem here) may not open/close at the same time than others, so we must wait until it is in the same position.

Hope this can add some help. Good luck! ;)

Thanks! I'll try that!

I am confused as to why the windows would have anything to do with the mirrors though... What's the link between them?

JamieLittwin

0-60 In Sparrows Cough
Mar 2, 2015
Thanks! I'll try that!

I am confused as to why the windows would have anything to do with the mirrors though... What's the link between them?

You'll notice the mirrors won't fold in until the windows are all the way up (in my experience anyway). Holding the lock button the hazards flash once then once again once all windows are up and mirrors folded. It's just its way of saying you haven't left a door open or something.

I may be wrong, but iirc that's what the issue was with my 184 fr and its mirrors.

Reactions: Kerr77

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Update! My mirrors miraculously started working again today. Out of habit I held the lock button when locking up and they folded!

God knows why they ever stopped :shrug:

adamant

May 13, 2014
I had this issue previously - turned out it was to do with the windows!!! reset your windows - open drivers window (1 click) close again but keep finger on the button - hold for 10 seconds, passenger side, drivers side rear, passenger side rear
mirrors should now fold in as daft as it sounds

ozz

Oct 21, 2012
Had this a couple of times now.
1. Work out which window or windows have lost open/close memory by seeing which one does not do the full drop/lift when you push the button down/up to position 2 ( button fully down/up) and release.

2. Start with the first affected window up. Press the button for that window down in the first position( half press the button in) for 10 seconds (including the time to drop the window)
3 then do the same with the window button in the first up position.
Test the window now drops and lifts fully with the swtich pushed to down/up postion 2 and then released.
If it doesn't work, repeat it, changing the length of time you hold the button a bit each time
Repeat 2/3 for all windows that need it.
4. manually put the mirrors in and out.
Once they all do a full lift/drop, try full closure on the mirrors with the keyfob

alxv

Leon Mk3 184 FR
Jul 3, 2015
London, UK
Just had the same issue with my MY16 FR. Thanks for the help!

For me it was the passenger side window that wasn't recognising when it was fully closed, and wasn't automatically opening/closing fully when using the window button's second position. The window would only move whilst the button was held up/down.

I used the advice here and tried opening and closing it a few times, using the first position and holding it down for >10 seconds each way, but this didn't seem to help. I then tried repeatedly pressing the window up button about 20 times, mostly out of frustration, and then the window auto-closing worked perfectly!

I was doing all of this with the ignition on, with the car menu settings set to automatically fold mirrors when parked, and with convenience window operation enabled on all windows.

Once the window was working again I turned off the car and got out, and holding down the key fob button to lock the car caused the mirrors to fold up again. Success!

Last edited:

Planetalien

Apr 10, 2016
London, UK
I so glad I found this forum, this started happening on my MY16 FR yesterday, and i thought I'd have to go the dealers, but will give this a go in the morning, i wonder why the software thinks the windows are not closed, when visually evidentially they are

Jan 29, 2019
I had this issue previously - turned out it was to do with the windows!!! reset your windows - open drivers window (1 click) close again but keep finger on the button - hold for 10 seconds, passenger side, drivers side rear, passenger side rear
mirrors should now fold in as daft as it sounds

Thanks for the advice. Worked for me and saved a trip to the garage. Would not have linked mirrors to windows.

I think it got out of sync when opening driver's door when there was a hard frost.

May 27, 2019
My mirrors stopped working Saturday (Leon fr 2015), also noticed today long press on key open was not working to open all windows and roof,switch for mirrors still operated fine, Read solutions around internet

I tried
Open sunroof , open all windows

Close sunroof

Close each window one at a time,release button for a sec,then repress for further ten seconds each (even though it’s closed) then move onto next window

Tried key on long press, mirrors are working again

Thanks for everyone’s help

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members