Missing Oil Sump Sensor Cable??

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
Hi all! this is my first post, long shot here but the engine mount recently failed on my 2005 Cupra FR TDI i have managed to replace the mount but noticed that there was no cable plugged into the sump sensor, possibly got ripped off? Stolen? Anyone know how i can replace it or where any remnants of said cable may be found? Many thanks, Chris

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Hey Chris are you sure your sump had a cable?? I replaced my sump a couple of years ago with a shallow sump and there was no cable going to a sensor
Mines a 55plate FR TDI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CupraChris1981

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
Hey Chris are you sure your sump had a cable?? I replaced my sump a couple of years ago with a shallow sump and there was no cable going to a sensor
Mines a 55plate FR TDI

Hi Bruce, thanks for the swift response, mines also a 2005 FR TDI, as i have never checked the sump before I couldn't be sure there was ever one there! And I cannot find any dangling cables... So yes that would make sense! It is just that it looks like there should be something plugged into it! And I know other cars do. The replacement sump i bought just had a piece of plastic there I switched it for the original presuming it was necessary component, but i guess not...

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Some of the petrol versions have a level sensor bolted on the bottom of the sump but not sure about the diesels, can only refer to mine - do you have pics??

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
Some of the petrol versions have a level sensor bolted on the bottom of the sump but not sure about the diesels, can only refer to mine - do you have pics??

Sorry not got pic on here, if yours doesn't I doubt mine does either, thanks again for the help, was worried as thought might have got ripped off when I was towing or after the engine collapsed while I was driving. Ended up smashing the sump pan and had to go couple miles without oil and the engine banging about to get a safe place to pull over and leave the car hopefully haven't done any permanent damage other than the smashed sump and engine mount...

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Oh dear, if you’ve driven it any distance with no oil or oil pressure then most likely you’ve f**ked your engine - either bottom end or top end

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
The PD150 should have a level sensor from the factory but sounds like someone removed it and coded it out so no need to worry about that.

As for running it without oil... yeah, not great, damage depends on how long/hard it was driven. Unfortunately it'll be a case of fix the sump, try it and see how it behaves. At least engines are easy enough to come by nowadays

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
The PD150 should have a level sensor from the factory but sounds like someone removed it and coded it out so no need to worry about that.

As for running it without oil... yeah, not great, damage depends on how long/hard it was driven. Unfortunately it'll be a case of fix the sump, try it and see how it behaves. At least engines are easy enough to come by nowadays

My PD150 never had a level sensor from factory, I should know as I bought it new

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
Thanks for all the replies, I have left as is as redundant sensor seems to be the consensus.

I did not drive too far or hard with no oil it was mostly coasting down a hill to get a safe place to leave it for a few days until I could get it towed.

A new issue I am having is the 2 heavily recessed bolts on the offside in the sump (the middle 2) proving a real pain to screw back in, just as they were to remove in the first place, tried using u joint flexible socket wrench etc but nothing seems to be getting the bolt to bite, I have other bolts in already so should be aligned

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Are the other bolts still loose?
If not, loosen them all so that there is wiggle room.

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
Are the other bolts still loose?
If not, loosen them all so that there is wiggle room.
I tried loosening but still couldn't get to the necessary angle so I took it off again and tried to get those 2 bolts in first , don't think managed to get them as tight as should be but the rest should hopefully compensate, I'll fill her up with oil tomorrow and fingers cross no permanent damage from running a bit on no oil...

Reactions: Rich.T

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
When I cracked my sump there was oil still dripping out. I checked the bottom end for damage when I removed sump and also removed rocker cover to check top end damage - thankfully no obvious damage.
Tentatively started her up and been all good.
Was told the turbo would be the first to suffer but have since replaced that

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
As for the bolts, yeah they can be a pain in the rear but they should all be torqued up to same tightness and did you use the correct sealant?

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
As for the bolts, yeah they can be a pain in the rear but they should all be torqued up to same tightness and did you use the correct sealant?

I just used a black heat resistant sealant, can't remember the brand.

Sorry another noob question, just filled up with oil again, before I try and turn it over, any idea what might have caused these warning lights?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210327-122941.png
    Screenshot_20210327-122941.png
    560.2 KB · Views: 84

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
I think they just come on with the ignition?
See whats on when its started.

Good luck with the engine 🤞

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.