Mk 4 Ibiza Airbag warning light

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
A while ago the airbag warning light came on my TDI 130. I took it to the dealer, who said there were no fault codes stored in the ECU, but the light still kept coming on - and they didn't know why.

Anyway, I went back today to book it in for an investigation, only to find the bloke in front of me at the service desk has exactly the same problem, and they still haven't been able to fix it.

Anyone else had this problem on a new Ibiza ?

The light goes out as normal at startup, then after a second or two delay comes on permanently.

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
I can't say I've had it but it may be a faulty switch or something, possibly something to do with the passenger airbag lock in the glovebox. A bit of opening and shutting on the glovebox might have dislodged something.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Hmm, that's a thought, I might have a play with the deactivation switch and see if that makes any difference...

Fen

Gotta check my tracking..
Oct 21, 2002
Wellington, NZ
Visit site
I did - it was the seatbelt pretensioner on the driver's side. It was picked up by the dealer computer though.

Once the airbag light is on it needs to be reset manually - it'll stay on now until you get a diag computer plugged in to reset it.

danny842003

Feb 2, 2003
mighty mighty DALTON!!!!!
unless theres no faults in the memorys. then u cant re set it.
and if there no faults in the memorys it means theres something wrong. sommething serious. my guess dash pannel insert, or airbag ECU

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
No faults have been stored.
The dealer had changed the dash insert of the other chap with the same problem, but it didn't fix it.

Is the airbag ECU a separate unit, or part of the engine ECU ?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Thought I'd follow this up, as the cause has been identified.

When I first took it in, the dealer could find no fault stored. This time they used "a bigger computer" (their words!) and managed to locate the problem.

Apparently the wiring to the drivers airbag had shorted out, somewhere in the loom. After a day or two of tracing through, they found the damage and fixed it.
However, when they reassembled, the airbag itself started showing a warning - presumably it couldn't before as it could no longer talk to the ECU through the damaged wire.
So it looks like the airbag failed and caused the wiring to short. I'm just glad it didn't go off !!

Anyway, new airbag on order, should hopefully get car back tomorrow. Can't wait to see how rattly the dash is...

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
The saga continues.

First, damaged wire replaced: airbag light still on.
Second, airbag replaced: airbag light still on (but airbag WAS faulty, tested in another car).
Next: new airbag ECU on order!

I had a chat with the technician at the weekend.
Apparently on Mk4 Ibizas, the steering column can wear through the drivers airbag wiring, which is how my wiring got damaged :eek:
But it seems that the resulting short takes out both the airbag AND the ECU.

So if anyone has a similar problem, I'd check if your wiring has been damaged. If it has, be prepared to change the wire and the stuff at both ends of it...

Sadly the new airbag ECU was ordered yesterday and it's on 7-10 working day delivery :mad: so I won't see my car till late next week.

danny842003

Feb 2, 2003
mighty mighty DALTON!!!!!
o well sorryt to hear that mate. when they say a bigger computer. they must mean they have used the scopes etc on 5051 to find the wires were broken etc. i guess prieviously they would have used 1551 or 5052.
just to try and clear up for u wot was a bad explantaion.

:cheers:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Thanks mate, that makes a bit more sense than "bigger computer" !

Do you work for Seat ?

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
I've now got a problem with my airbag, but luckily got a fault code of;

01222 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Passenger Side, P1222

At a bit of a loss really and a bit wary of messing with these exploding dust bags, any ideas?!

Jimski

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Ahhh, good shout muddy, so I could actually be suffering from the rack wearing through issue.

Hmmmm, might be a garage job!

Jimski

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Ahhh, good shout muddy, so I could actually be suffering from the rack wearing through issue.

Hmmmm, might be a garage job!

Jimski
Well I don't know either way, just a thought, wouldn't surprise me.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.