Mk1 cupra v mo1 cupra r standard ride height help

jimmer84

Apr 13, 2013
Hi guys an gals,

I've a query I can't find clarification on using the search so thought I would ask outright here for help.

I have a year 2000 180bhp Leon cupra on standard suspension, now the rear springs failed not for a small piece of the ends being broken so need to replace. My question is, does my model of cupra have a different ride height to the mk1 cupra r?

i have looked into gettin lowering springs of 15/20mm as I dont want a big drop but would this be a 15/20mm drop from a standard Leon?

Also I have looked into buying a set of Leon cupra springs if they sit lower as standard from my own cupra model? I have read of different spring rates etc but there was no indication on some posts of which model of Leon these were from wether it's a mk1/mk2 etc.

Any help would be awesome as I need a solution, ideally a funky upgraded one ASAP so I can not my car.

FYI it passed with flying colours on everything else lol

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
If I remember rightly the Cupra / FR springs are 15mm lower than the base model Leon and the Cupra R is another 10mm lower than this.

The spring rates don't vary that much on the Leon range but it's worth noting that certain TDI's were fitted with different rate front springs to account for the heavier lump up front.

Personally if I was you I'd opt for a set of Eibach pro springs which will give you 30mm drop from the base models which will equate to roughly 15mm lower than you already have and a more levelled appearance as the stock springs actually sit higher at the front on these.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

jimmer84

Apr 13, 2013
That's great Info cheers Thai-wrongwhorse!!

So if I was to get a set of cupra r springs, it should drop my car another 10mm roughly and shouldn't have much of a different ride/handling to it?

Remembering that I am keeping to a tight budget after buying a full set of grooved discs, new calipers and Mintex pads so money is too tight to stretch to a full set of new springs anytime soon lol

Last edited:

D_hatfield

Oct 5, 2016
If I remember rightly the Cupra / FR springs are 15mm lower than the base model Leon and the Cupra R is another 10mm lower than this.

The spring rates don't vary that much on the Leon range but it's worth noting that certain TDI's were fitted with different rate front springs to account for the heavier lump up front.

Personally if I was you I'd opt for a set of Eibach pro springs which will give you 30mm drop from the base models which will equate to roughly 15mm lower than you already have and a more levelled appearance as the stock springs actually sit higher at the front on these.

Brilliant info !, thank u ! I'm searching for some Eibach pro's now , will they go with 18 inch wheels ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
No worries fella, I can't see there been any issue running stock Cupra R springs to be honest.

If you decide to go the Eibach or H&R spring route then it's advisable to replace the dampers at the same time if funds allow it.
Bilstein B4 shocks are extremely time tested and compliment these springs very well for daily road use. They're also very affordable which ticks a huge box for myself.

German eBay is my go to place for suspension upgrades and has been for many years.
Eibach springs for instance are almost half the price compared to the UK!

I assume you're running 225/40/18 tyres, if so you'll have loads of clearance with a mild suspension drop.

Last edited:

D_hatfield

Oct 5, 2016
No worries fella, I can't see there been any issue running stock Cupra R springs to be honest.

If you decide to go the Eibach or H&R spring route then it's advisable to replace the dampers at the same time if funds allow it.
Bilstein B4 shocks are extremely time tested and compliment these springs very well for daily road use. They're also very affordable which ticks a huge box for myself.

German eBay is my go to place for suspension upgrades and has been for many years.
Eibach springs for instance are almost half the price compared to the UK!

Great advice , so is there no need to coil overs ?, you must excuse me my machanics is shocking , I just like cars to look nice handle right and go pretty well!,
Thanks for the tip on German eBay !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmer84

Apr 13, 2013
Thanks for the advice indeed, for the mean time I have gone for a set of cupra r springs I found for little money, and after a few beers last night I bought a set of spacers also haha!

Next question, has anyone run a set of spacer on a non R cupra? I got a set of 20mm for the back and now worried I was a bit over ambitious an they might run? Hopefully not though, then I got a 15mm set for the front which again hope don't run lol. Always thought the wheels would look better spaced out a good bit more so will see once they arrive :)

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
The spacers should be OK although I'd have thought 20mm on the rear would appear to poke out a bit without lowering.
I test fitted some borrowed spacers on mine, 10mm front and 15mm rear and it sat pretty sweet with a 40mm drop.
Obviously the wheel offset is the key factor here.

jimmer84

Apr 13, 2013
Hmm maybe I will have to swap them for 10 or 15mm ones since I'm not lowering but I shall see when they arrive and will let everyone know for reference.

Cheers again for your help, I'll let ya know how I get on.

Cupat

Sep 21, 2016
I'm probably the only one putting things back to original as I really can't be arsd with lowered stuff, I pick up standard kyb fronts tomorrow or Monday already did the back.

Last edited:

andycupra

status subject to change
dont forget to get wheel bolts taking into account the 2mm spacers.

as for using German ebay. - any tips for using this when you cant understand any German?
im currently trying to source some springs /shocks for LCR and looking to get a decent make, at a great price :)

Last edited:

Cupat

Sep 21, 2016
Got them with the original wheels

Google should have a translation thing

Last edited:

jimmer84

Apr 13, 2013
I'm totally with you on the keeping things pretty original myself Cupat, I'm not really wanting to lower any more than 10mm or so more than I have if I can help it hence the cupra r springs and just getting spacers for the look thing which is really just a trial, if I don't like them I'll get rid and keep original lol.

Cupat

Sep 21, 2016
You too, don't get me wrong I'm not putting everything lowered ect down as it's a personal thing just not for me, never was. As I said before on here bikes are my thing even when I was a lot younger I wasn't into cars I liked them but not hooked and still not.

I've tinkered with them through the years but nothing serious no total engine rebuilding (not cars) but plenty of other stuff. I just think at times the destroy it yourself brigade know more and better than manufacturers spending millions developing stuff so unless you're in the tuning/motorsports industry or really know what you're doing, leave it alone...just my opinion.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.