Mk2 Cupra rear brake caliper rebuild

DuBDuDe

Aug 8, 2010
Somewhere in London
So recently noticed a bit of binding on the rear calipers. A closer inspection revealed the piston boot has come unseated and obviously there is a bit of winter moisture ingress, So started stripping the calipers off the car and can't even get the bleed nipple undone. Bit of penetrating fluid hasn't' helped. About to apply some light heat.

Are the rears calipers prone to these probs? They seem as bad as my original mk2 golf calipers which were terrible for seizing, and i've replaced with mk4 jobs.

Any rebuild tips????

t0m_t0m

Aug 9, 2020
Hull
not the same caliper as mines an FR but both my rear boots had disintegrated on the pistons on the rear calipers, both had completley seized on cooking the pads and cracking the discs, it is probably an age thing as my FR is only a year older than your Cupra. I had a front seize up a couple of years ago as well, i wonder if VAG brakes just aren't the best for longevity.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
i wonder if VAG brakes just aren't the best for longevity.
This! The rear callipers off the VW MK5 platform are famous for seizing. I've had both of mine replaced... at the time I was a bit stuck because they'd seized on the motorway, heating up the discs and pads. I read that the "uprated" ones off the S3 are more robust. So that might be worth looking into.

DuBDuDe

Aug 8, 2010
Somewhere in London
By the sounds of it all VAG calipers aren't very robust. It's been a problem for years but i honestly thought they'd have sorted it out by now.

I've rebuilt one side and it's back on the car. But on the nearside the bleed valve took some of the thread from the caliper with it when it came out. Was seized in so had to use a bit of heat. I probably should order a new caliper but this one still holds tight with a bolt in the bleed valve hole so i'm going on the assumption it'll be ok.
Just trying to find the bleed nipple size so i can order some new ones. Both were a bit shafted once they came out.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.