MK3 Leon coolant flush advice?

CardiffFR150

Jan 5, 2021
Cardiff
Hi, I’m looking to flush the coolant system today as my heaters are blowing cold air and I suspect some sort of blockage in the system. Any advice before I let myself loose lol? P.s I have not done this before so kinda ain’t got a clue :) #Mk3 Seat Leon 1.4 tsi

Reactions: xyz

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Hi, I’m looking to flush the coolant system today as my heaters are blowing cold air and I suspect some sort of blockage in the system. Any advice before I let myself loose lol? P.s I have not done this before so kinda ain’t got a clue :) #Mk3 Seat Leon 1.4 tsi

Is there a silica bag in your header tank?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Probably isn’t if yours is a 1.4. If there’s something on your header tank saying Mit silikat, you should have one!

Reactions: CardiffFR150

CardiffFR150

Jan 5, 2021
Cardiff
Thanks for your replies. No sign of a silicate bag. Car temps are working fine. No loss of coolant. Blowers are cold but occasionally get a slight bit of warmth come through (very very slight). I’ve managed to drain the system by taking the pipe off bottom of the radiator. Flushed through with clean water several times. Now about to refill with 5litres of g13 purple. So far so good lol??

Reactions: xyz

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Thanks for your replies. No sign of a silicate bag. Car temps are working fine. No loss of coolant. Blowers are cold but occasionally get a slight bit of warmth come through (very very slight). I’ve managed to drain the system by taking the pipe off bottom of the radiator. Flushed through with clean water several times. Now about to refill with 5litres of g13 purple. So far so good lol??
Good luck fingers crossed

CardiffFR150

Jan 5, 2021
Cardiff
Would an airlock cause matrix issues? Glad there’s no silica bag because as said further up, they can burst and block the matrix which (on a Golf anyway) ain’t a cheap job!

I got a feeling there’s something definitely clogged somewhere because I’m getting a bit more warm air now (still cold) after that flush. To be totally honest I didn’t really know exactly what I was doing lol so may have cocked it up. Just hope my friendly local garage doesn’t bruise my wallet. Happy new year aye:rolleyes:

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I got a feeling there’s something definitely clogged somewhere because I’m getting a bit more warm air now (still cold) after that flush. To be totally honest I didn’t really know exactly what I was doing lol so may have cocked it up. Just hope my friendly local garage doesn’t bruise my wallet. Happy new year aye:rolleyes:
Probs be a new Matrix job, crap design on the mk3 leon

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Any idea roughly how much that will cost please mate?
If you take it somewhere private probably £500, main dealer is £1000 job, it’s a dash out job i believe.

or have a go yourself i’m sure some members have managed it on their drive. I wouldn’t fancy it myself though.

seat had my Audi A3 for 2 days to change the matrix.

arossi101

Cupra 290 ST
Sep 5, 2016
Glasgow
Probably alot more than than, 2.5 days of work, plus parts, out of warranty thats a major earner for a branch especially when you take the fact its over 100 an hour
Did you get to the bottom of it?

CardiffFR150

Jan 5, 2021
Cardiff
Probably alot more than than, 2.5 days of work, plus parts, out of warranty thats a major earner for a branch especially when you take the fact its over 100 an hour
Did you get to the bottom of it?

Yep. Bought a new matrix from Euro Car Parts and fitted it myself. It’s not a dash out job on the Mk3, it’s very simply accessible via the passenger footwell. Heaters working perfect now. Nice and hot. Took me about 30 mins.

Reactions: Woody_72

emilyjane2910

Jan 19, 2021
West Midlands
Assume you got all the air out the system after filling back up? Normally have to run engine up to temp and then open the release valve and top up as needed.

arossi101

Cupra 290 ST
Sep 5, 2016
Glasgow
Yep. Bought a new matrix from Euro Car Parts and fitted it myself. It’s not a dash out job on the Mk3, it’s very simply accessible via the passenger footwell. Heaters working perfect now. Nice and hot. Took me about 30 mins.

If only more cars were that easy, I would have avoided that job like the plague as a homer. Did it bleed ok then, last time I done a golf it took ages but I had to run a guided for warranty purposes.

CardiffFR150

Jan 5, 2021
Cardiff
If only more cars were that easy, I would have avoided that job like the plague as a homer. Did it bleed ok then, last time I done a golf it took ages but I had to run a guided for warranty purposes.

Sorry for the late reply. To be honest I think most manufacturers have started to make the matrix more easily accessible. I believe my Leon mk3 has some sort of self bleeding system so I just let it run with the cap off the tank until the coolant leveled itself out. After around 10 minutes my heaters were working spot on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members