MK3 ST winter tyres/alloys

May 11, 2019
Hi all. Have just taken ownership of a 2016 Leon St it's fr spec that has 17 inch alloys 225 x45 tyres as it's the FR tech model.
I know the spare wheel well will fit a full size wheel but is anyone able to tell me whether it will take a matching 225 tire or is that going to be too deep. I'm also thinking about buying a set of winter wheels for the car with winter tyres. Would people suggest maybe a 16 inch wheel for 205x55 winter tyres? Or is the extra width on the 17's better?

Thanks.
Paul

CupraSwede

Feb 28, 2019
Sweden
To start with there is no gain in the wider tyre if you drive on winter (read snow) roads actually narrower tyres puts more pressure down to the road. Look at rally cars with winter wheels they are quite narrow. With that said I have 235x35 19 studded winter tyres on my 2019 Cupra St 4drive and they do the job. I drive quite a bit in the snow since I live in Sweden and drives up to the ski resorts at least 5 times each winter.

Reactions: Boroboy
May 11, 2019
Ok, so maybe 16" wheels would make more sense add well as likely to be cheaper. Does anyone know of 16" alloys from the mk2 will fit the mk3? Sorry not very knowledgeable about wheels! seem to be more of those that mk3 wheels around second hand.

Boroboy

Apr 28, 2019
195 or 205's would work best for winters, on either 15" or 16" alloys.
I'm downgrading my 16" alloys to 15's for comfort soon, will be selling my original 16" set soon from my mk 3, they're fitted with Gt-Radial 4s tyres, with the snowflake symbol. I've used the tyres for one winter only, were excellent on snow. They all have between 7-8 mm of tread remaining, so nearly new, alloys in very good condition too.. I'll be selling them within the next two weeks or so. If you are interested P.M me.
I'm going to fit all season tyres to my 15" new alloys & use them all year round, so have no use for my 16s.
I've ran two sets of wheels & tyres for years, both summers & winters, in the past. Usually the wider you go with a low profile tyre, the worse the tyre is during winter conditions.
I live up North, so need to be using at least all season tyres during the winter months.

EFF11

Jun 16, 2016
The MK3 Leon is on a totally new VW platform. The dimensions for a MK3 16" alloy are 6.5J x 16. The offset is ET46. Fixing holes are 5 x 112mm, and the centre bore is 57.1mm.

I can tell you that the FR is quieter and more comfortable on 16" wheels with Dunlop Sport Maxx all season tyres, so it might be worth trying that wheel size with your winter tyres.

May 11, 2019
Thanks boroboy, and ef11
Looks like I need a set of 16" wheels then. So will keep an eye out for since mk3's, or let me know what you want for yours when you're swapping boroboy.

Boroboy

Apr 28, 2019
Thanks boroboy, and ef11
Looks like I need a set of 16" wheels then. So will keep an eye out for since mk3's, or let me know what you want for yours when you're swapping boroboy.
If you were wanting to drop to 15's the size you require would be- 15x112, 6j X 15, Et43, CB 57.1. Obviously they'll have the dougnut look...lol. Not that this bothers me. Comfort my main priority now.
Also inform your insurance company of any change, I have, no extra on my premiums.
I've just washed my car, all my wheels are in very good condition, no chips or chunks out of them. I will be selling them in around 2 weeks time, I'll put them in the "for sale section". At this point I'd take £200 cash on collection for them, no less, as the tyres are nearly new too. Just in the process of ordering my 15's. Think I'm going to stick either Goodyear Victor Gen 2's onto them, Mich energy saver plus or Uniroyal all season 2 tyres onto them....lol. Cheap in the 195 65 15 sizes.

May 11, 2019
If you were wanting to drop to 15's the size you require would be- 15x112, 6j X 15, Et43, CB 57.1. Obviously they'll have the dougnut look...lol. Not that this bothers me. Comfort my main priority now.
Also inform your insurance company of any change, I have, no extra on my premiums.
I've just washed my car, all my wheels are in very good condition, no chips or chunks out of them. I will be selling them in around 2 weeks time, I'll put them in the "for sale section". At this point I'd take £200 cash on collection for them, no less, as the tyres are nearly new too. Just in the process of ordering my 15's. Think I'm going to stick either Goodyear Victor Gen 2's onto them, Mich energy saver plus or Uniroyal all season 2 tyres onto them....lol. Cheap in the 195 65 15 sizes.
Have (hopefully PM'd you..)
Thanks

Boroboy

Apr 28, 2019
Have (hopefully PM'd you..)
Thanks
Not as yet....lol.
I'm thinking about keeping my 16s now, as may put them back on when I come to sell my car, for what I could get for them now. If I decide to sell them, you'll be the first to know. If you have a look on eBay there was a guy on there selling an original set of 16s for around £150. Then you'd have the cost of the new tyres on top. Hassle of storing them and swapping them over when the time comes.
Obviously 17s look a bit better too, if you were wanting to keep your 17s, you could put some premium all season tyres on them. If you go by the reviews, the top 4 makes seem to be, Mich cross climate plus tyres, Bridge A005s, Goodyear Vector G2's, conti all season contact. You'd have to check if you could get these in your size too. Spend slightly less money and go for a mid range all season tyre.
I've ran two sets of wheels and tyres for years over the winter and summer months using winter and summer tyres. Last winter was the first time I've used an all season tyre for winter as well as summer use, I wasn't disappointed.
I'd be happy to put any premium or possibly mid range all season tyre onto my current Leon.
I probably wouldn't on an out to out performance car like a Cupra 290, you'd be kind of defeating the object then. Probably go for the two sets of tyre option, just my opinion.
The difference being I'm running with 108bhp, marginal tyre variations would make little performance difference.

Last edited:
May 11, 2019
Ok, well let me know what you decide. Part off the reasoning for running 2 sets of wheels was that at last I then have a full size spare, one advantage of the ST boot! Cheers.

So not sure how to send a PM looks like I ended up posting on your profile, which I have now deleted. If I try to start a conversation it gives me an error!

Boroboy

Apr 28, 2019
Ok, well let me know what you decide. Part off the reasoning for running 2 sets of wheels was that at last I then have a full size spare, one advantage of the ST boot! Cheers.

So not sure how to send a PM looks like I ended up posting on your profile, which I have now deleted. If I try to start a conversation it gives me an error!
It's probably due to the fact I had the P.M from other members function box unticked, I'm fairly new too. I'll try to send you one...lol

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.