Mk4 cupra leon - could it be 4 drive?

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
With the Leon Cupra now becoming the Cupra Leon, is it still subject to the same restrictions?

Specifically the 4 drive on the 5dr hatch.

If it becomes available should be we expect lower power as compared to its rivals/competitors or less of a price difference?

With the FR being reduced to almost a styling pack, the Cupra has seemed to be more of a GTI rival than a R or S3 rival.

Cupra is still a great car but I think the option of 4 drive on the hatch is seriously holding it back.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
CUPRA will essentially still be stuck with the same restrictions, they are also focusing on hybrid and fully electric vehicles.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
VAG are never going to build a seat that can outgun the audi or volkswagen. Its a pecking order.

audi fastest (rs3)
Vw 2nd (R)
Seat 3rd
Skoda gets the octavia vrs in last.

and it will remain that way. Mr audi isn’t wanting to pay 50k for a 25k cupra to be up his ring piece

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
VAG are never going to build a seat that can outgun the audi or volkswagen. Its a pecking order.

audi fastest (rs3)
Vw 2nd (R)
Seat 3rd

and it will remain that way. Mr audi isn’t wanting to pay 50k for a 25k cupra to be up his ring piece
Not questioning the pecking order.

However the ST has 4 drive, the Ateca has 4 drive and the formentor is supposedly going to be equipped with 4 drive also.

I think one of the early gen Cupras had 4 drive also.

All that is required is that the VW and or Audi are still considered more premium option. I'm sure this will remain the case with regards to interior finish/quality.

They could also ramp up the power on those and leave the Leon with lower power as standard to distance from its rivals (which seemed to be the case previously)

I only raised this because of some articles I'd read suggesting it could be the case.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
As a pure petrolhead its a strange thing for me to say but I'm most excited seeing where CUPRA go with pure electric cars, testing the E-racer has certainly allowed them to gather lots of data.

If they launched a 300-400bhp (equivalent of) Cupra electric I'd certainly look at it.

Reactions: Peller

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
It's certainly looking like hybrid tech but maybe a full fat Cupra R for a limited edition. I can see it getting very expensive!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/cupra-top-new-leon-line-241bhp-phev
496c5e30b2dcc7071d77ebb99d350c25.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
It's certainly looking like hybrid tech but maybe a full fat Cupra R for a limited edition. I can see it getting very expensive!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/cupra-top-new-leon-line-241bhp-phev
496c5e30b2dcc7071d77ebb99d350c25.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Yeah autocar have posted several articles on the mk4 cupra since last summer.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-2020-cupra-leon-be-part-seven-strong-line

To be honest the Cupra list price is already quite expensive brand new.

The mk3 seems to have gained popularity due to the discounts available on lease.

When they decided to create sub brand my immediate thoughts were that the price was going to ramp up.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire

audi fastest (rs3)
Vw 2nd (R)
Seat 3rd

SEAT 4th. You missed out the S3...

phate101101

Oct 6, 2015
I very much see the Leon ST 4drive as a rival to the R, and maybe the S3, behind in interior finish but performance wise they're essentially the same car.

Skipp

Oct 15, 2018
I got my Leon a year and a half ago and I love it to bits. I was on the edge for waiting the new one and booooy I'm glad I didn't. The front is OK, but the back?! That single light-stroke is horrible. I really hope the FR version does something different at least with the body kit (even tho the <2020 models weren't that much different)...

In any case, This just made me love the "old" version more.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
Could be just the hybrid one with the electric motors on the rear wheels? Time will tell!
Interesting suggestion. I'd assumed that the hybrid drive would be like the Mk.7 Golf GTE, which has the motor on the gearbox, but the switch to a new model would be an opportunity for a different drive train.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.