Mk5 Cupra

leon20v

its all about the BOC
Feb 4, 2008
Charleston SC, USA
What year did they sort the oil problems out ?

thought it was still on going for some people. Some seem to be running fine though.

oh and 55k seems higher, or it might just be me thinking it. Have been thinking about selling my Boc for that kind of money but that's only because it has 15K, hopefully one of the lowest mileage on the Road.

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
it was 10plate onwards iirc, (when battery went into boot) mine seems to have stoped eating any oil at all but im at 50k miles now on my boc.

ibizacupradan

Nov 28, 2013
Fife, Scotland
A lot of them have had new engines in under warranty so the mileage on the clock may not necessarily reflect that of the engine. Check for a sticker or stamp on the left hand side of the block (under the black breather hose) for whether or not it's the older CAVE engine (what a Cupra of that age will have came with) or the newer CTHE engine (about late 2012 onwards). The CTHE engine's oil problems are rare. I've covered just over 10k on mine and it's used about a quarter of the oil it had in it from new. CAVE engines are the ones (generally) with the oil consumption issues. I would keep an eye on it anyway, a lot of them can potentially use 1ltr of oil every 400/500 odd miles.

Last edited:

TheSmurf-95

Apr 1, 2014
Manchester
I know the previous owner, he has 0 problems with it and he had it from new, its defo a cave engine and it hasnt had the dsg mineral oil change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ibizacupradan

Nov 28, 2013
Fife, Scotland
I know the previous owner, he has 0 problems with it and he had it from new, its defo a cave engine and it hasnt had the dsg mineral oil change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough, should be okay then. I'm not sure how important the gearbox oil change is in this country, I know it stemmed from cars in hotter countries suffering from gearbox problems with the synthetic stuff and that's why they've been changing them back to mineral. My car hasn't been recalled anyway (unless it has the mineral oil in it anyway...)

m1ateusz

Aug 21, 2014
I don't want to diminish your achievements, but SPS would be very inaccurate instrument to measure acceleration. In order to accurately measure it, you'll need device that connects to at least 3 or 4 different satellites, which SPS does not. That said, it doesn't mean your cars are not faster then manufacturer sais they are :)

Pyrres

Ibiza Cupra -14
May 2, 2014
Finland
I don't want to diminish your achievements, but SPS would be very inaccurate instrument to measure acceleration. In order to accurately measure it, you'll need device that connects to at least 3 or 4 different satellites, which SPS does not. That said, it doesn't mean your cars are not faster then manufacturer sais they are :)
Actually gps won't help you at all unless it's refresh rate is higher than normal GPS. What you need is cars own data, accelerometer and proper formula to use all the data and you have quite good accuracy for timing. And with Cupra it has all those things. Only thing the SPS can do badly wrong is the timing start. Does it start when you release the brake, or when you press the throttle or when the car moves. My stock car has done the 0-100km/h sprint in 6.25s on a flat road and I think I can get it to 6s or 5.9s range if I empty the car and try it in perfect conditions. Shame that I cant try the 0-60mph dash as it would be interesting to see what kind of a difference a few miles can make.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members